Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Will Palmone allow a discount for people with treo 600's? Handspring did this before and it was great. I have a feeling with Palm they will not offer this deal.
    Nope, family is growing not being replaced
    The 600 was an addition to the family also the 180 270 and 300 were still being sold at the same time and a decent time after.Handspring still gave the trade up offer.
    Fred
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Personally, I don't think we'll see a credit.
    This is an outrage. The Treo 600 to the Treo 650 is really a very very small difference when compared to the Treo 300 to Treo 600 jump. Don't start yelling about a higher res screen and bluetooth, we should have had those things in the first place for the 600!!! Really, all palm one is doing is making an upgraded 650 with the features they already owed to us in the 600.

Now if they don't offer a very competitive upgrade price, buying the Treo 650 will be like paying double for a proper Treo 600.

I think people are being scammed.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Just sell you 600 on Ebay.
    life is a scam
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard
    This is an outrage. The Treo 600 to the Treo 650 is really a very very small difference when compared to the Treo 300 to Treo 600 jump. Don't start yelling about a higher res screen and bluetooth, we should have had those things in the first place for the 600!!! Really, all palm one is doing is making an upgraded 650 with the features they already owed to us in the 600.
    So why did you buy one? There is no scam.

PalmOne owes you NOTHING in terms of an upgrade path. It is up to the consumer whether they want to buy into the technology now, or wait for the features that they want. Bluetooth and High-res were important to me and made the 600 a no-sale. Now that it's available, I'm buying.

You won't find me complaining when the 650 replacement comes out. An upgrade path is nice, but certainly not one of life's guarantees, esp. when it comes to technology and hardware. IBM never once offered me special discounts because I owned many of their Thinkpads in the past. Sony has never rewarded me because of customer loyalty. PalmOne has never given me a PDA trade-in. Such is life.

Upgrades happen, and sometimes you have to pay. Looks like you're getting a lot more than just BT and High-res on the 650 anyway.
    Last edited by alee; 10/02/2004 at 10:53 PM.
    To me, there is
    -faster processor
    -improved form with respect to SD card slot
    -high res
    -megapix camera
    -removable battery

hopefully,
    -one touch voice memo
    -improved phone
    -EDGE for data

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    So why did you buy one? There is no scam.
    I bought one because I recieved the upgrade deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    You won't find me complaining when the 650 replacement comes out. An upgrade path is nice, but certainly not one of life's guarantees, esp. when it comes to technology and hardware. IBM never once offered me special discounts because I owned many of their Thinkpads in the past. Sony has never rewarded me because of customer loyalty. PalmOne has never given me a PDA trade-in. Such is life.

Upgrades happen, and sometimes you have to pay. Looks like you're getting a lot more than just BT and High-res on the 650 anyway.
    Well, unfortunatly you've been dealing with companies that don't have much respect for their customers.

For example, Apple has a nice history of offering excellent free upgrades. This has been happening since system 9 when upgrades like 9.0 to 9.2.2 were released and now the 10.x.y updates.

Now I understand that these are software upgrades and not hardware, but the principle is the same. When the original product is lacking in terms of its full capacity, upgrades that supply the proper improvements are deserved.

Contrastingly, microsoft charged an arm and a leg for the Windoze 95 to 98 upgrade, and the two OSes were esentially the same thing - except 98 had things such as decent USB support which 95 users should have been given for free.

I compare the quality of the service apple has towards their customers with the quality of the service microsoft has and you see that spending $120 on an Apple product is a far better investment than $120 on a MS product.

Now here we have Handspring/Palmone. They sell us a product that has a camera (a device meant to take pictures) yet it is of such poor quality, that it really is a joke. The only pictures I can take are objects as big and as bright as the surface of the sun.

Ok so the Treo 650 has a better, decently functioning camera. This 1.3 MP camera should have been on the 600 in the first place; I expect an upgrade deal.

Then on the 600, they give us a decently running processor and a nice web browser. But screen resolution is poor, so images appear terribly.

Ok so the Treo 650 has a higher resolution screen. This should have been on the Treo 600 in the first place; I expect an upgrade deal.

Furthermore, on the Treo 600, they give us an SD slot but all the SD cards jut out and can be easily lost.

Ahh, but the Treo 650 has corrected this blunder. The treo 600 should have never had that problem in the first place; I expect an upgrade deal.

PalmOne/Handspring felt it was appropriate to offer an upgrade deal from the Treo 300 to the Treo 600, when the 600 was not an upgraded 300, but a completly new design built from the ground up.

Yet the Treo 650 is not an "all new" Treo, but a Treo 600 with the proper tunings.

Well, now you say to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    life is a scam
    Look, it doesn't have to be.

The corporations derive their successes as well as their failures from the spending power of the consumer. If PalmOne doesn't offer a reasonable upgrade deal, it is a scam to buy the product.

Now you will probably say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Future-100thMonkey or Future-Albert C. Lee
    If you think its a scam, then don't buy the Treo 650.
    That's right I won't. But more importantly, I say to the cynics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Future-CmdrGuard
    don't let PalmOne walk all over its consumers. They need us more than we need them. If they don't offer an upgrade deal, don't buy it. And then they may decide to offer an upgrade deal.
    c'mon, 600 dollars??? is that even 75 percent of one of your bimonthly paychecks? Its not that much, really

I bought one because I recieved the upgrade deal!

Well, unfortunatly you've been dealing with companies that don't have much respect for their customers.

For example, Apple has a nice history of offering excellent free upgrades. This has been happening since system 9 when upgrades like 9.0 to 9.2.2 were released and now the 10.x.y updates.

Now I understand that these are software upgrades and not hardware, but the principle is the same. When the original product is lacking in terms of its full capacity, upgrades that supply the proper improvements are deserved.

Contrastingly, microsoft charged an arm and a leg for the Windoze 95 to 98 upgrade, and the two OSes were esentially the same thing - except 98 had things such as decent USB support which 95 users should have been given for free.

I compare the quality of the service apple has towards their customers with the quality of the service microsoft has and you see that spending $120 on an Apple product is a far better investment than $120 on a MS product.

Now here we have Handspring/Palmone. They sell us a product that has a camera (a device meant to take pictures) yet it is of such poor quality, that it really is a joke. The only pictures I can take are objects as big and as bright as the surface of the sun.

Ok so the Treo 650 has a better, decently functioning camera. This 1.3 MP camera should have been on the 600 in the first place; I expect an upgrade deal.

Then on the 600, they give us a decently running processor and a nice web browser. But screen resolution is poor, so images appear terribly.

Ok so the Treo 650 has a higher resolution screen. This should have been on the Treo 600 in the first place; I expect an upgrade deal.

Furthermore, on the Treo 600, they give us an SD slot but all the SD cards jut out and can be easily lost.

Ahh, but the Treo 650 has corrected this blunder. The treo 600 should have never had that problem in the first place; I expect an upgrade deal.

PalmOne/Handspring felt it was appropriate to offer an upgrade deal from the Treo 300 to the Treo 600, when the 600 was not an upgraded 300, but a completly new design built from the ground up.

Yet the Treo 650 is not an "all new" Treo, but a Treo 600 with the proper tunings.

Well, now you say to me:

Look, it doesn't have to be.

The corporations derive their successes as well as their failures from the spending power of the consumer. If PalmOne doesn't offer a reasonable upgrade deal, it is a scam to buy the product.

Now you will probably say:

That's right I won't. But more importantly, I say to the cynics:
    comparing hardware to software upgrades is completely ridiculous. the principle is the same? you are misguided my friend. sure apple gave you os 10 but will they give you a new powerbook?

also winxp has been updated considerably for two years, now to SP2 for free.
    It's very simple. If they don't offer loyalty program I'll simply wait for an mpx and they'll lose their loyal base.

They need users like us who spend hundreds of dollars to support their developer base.
    Quote Originally Posted by dethman
    comparing hardware to software upgrades is completely ridiculous. the principle is the same? you are misguided my friend. sure apple gave you os 10 but will they give you a new powerbook?

also winxp has been updated considerably for two years, now to SP2 for free.
    I knew someone would say this, but I feel I already covered it.

I think each of my points is justification alone for PalmOne to set up an upgrade deal. But what's most important is this:
    If I have been misguided, if I am wrong and I should pay top dollar for PalmOne blunder's with the Treo 600 (the SD card slot for example), then my misguidance comes from Palmone.

The precident was set with the Treo 300 to Treo 600 deal.

In psychology, there is a term known as cognitive dissonance. It is basically a feeling of discomfort that arises when your behavior contradicts your attitudes. It's like your mind wants to do one thing, but your actions end up doing another. Take a look at the paper by Festinger & Carlsmith in 1959: Festinger, L., & Carlsmith, J.M. (1959). Cognitive consequences of forced compliance. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 38, 203-210.

To minimize this cognitive dissonance, you may change your attitude to suit your behavior, or define a whole new attitude all together.

This is what I feel is happening. People are trying to minimize the feeling that they are being scammed. So even though the Treo 650 is simply the corrected form of the Treo 600, people feel paying top dollar is justified because ( INSERT PREVIOUS TREOCENTRAL FORUM POSTS HERE ). Again, even though PalmOne offered up a deal for the Treo 300 to the 600.

And I'm not saying people suffering from cognitive dissonance are suffering from some mental disorder, I'm saying it is a common psychological phenomenon. It doesn't hurt to be aware of it.

Now had the Treo 650 been simply a Treo 600 with faster and better specs, like say a new Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz after a Powerbook G4 1.0 Ghz, I would not be complaining. I understand that newer and better models come out all the time. But the 650 seems more like a correction (check my previous post) for things that were wrong in the 600, then simply an alternative higher end model in the Treo 6xx series.

Remember, the success of PalmOne rests with the consumer. A consumer that demands a lot from industry, will receive a lot from industry.
    there is also a term called "entitlement" whereby one feels that everything is owed to them, or conversely, they deserve x, y, z. Fact is, Treo 600 caught a lot of attention. Good for Handspring, P1. XDA I owners might wish the XDA III had been the XDA II, and HP 63xx owners will probably whine about how the successor is everything that the predecessor should have been.

You no like it, you no buy it. Simple.

They do not owe us an upgrade discount, we were early technology jumpers. Just sell ur phone on eBay then. You'll get a lot more money back than the credit u'll get trading it in.

Me, I'm happy with my Treo 600, won't be going up for awhile.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Dont work yourself up into a tizzy. We'll all know when it gets released. Until then, everything is speculation.

rob
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    CmdrGuard,
    How old are you? A software upgrade is in no way the same as a hardware upgrade. Palm does not owe you a thing, including an upgrade. If the 600 lacking all the features you felt it deserved, then you are stupid for buying. If it was not what you wanted, then you needed to have the sense to pass. A fool and his money are soon parted, I think this describes you perfectly. When you went out and bought your 600, did someone have a gun to your head. You registered in 2001, so surely you could ahve come on here and found out about the SD card, if you couldnt live with that, why buy? You knew it was not high-res, no BT natively, and a .3mp camera if you werent happy with those, you should have said that with your buying dollars. Also why should we have had BT, high-res, and a 1.3mp camera? Those options were only available in high end pdas at the time. How much would it have cost to produce with the radio as well.

Palm owes us NOTHING.
    Life is a scam.
    Lonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    c'mon, 600 dollars??? is that even 75 percent of one of your bimonthly paychecks? Its not that much, really
    thats a whole paycheck for me lol.

<--prob one of the younger, least paid treo 600 users.
    I'm still with my trusty 300. I didn't go for the 600 mainly because of the early bugs and qc issues, but also because the screan, .3 cam and other features were not compelling enough to outwiegh the quality and other issues.

Now with the 650, P1 hopefully has gotten the quality issues taken care of and the hi res screan, camera and all of the apps that are now out there make it worth the upgrade for me.

Alas, I do have to wait until December to get my Sprint upgrade credit thingy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast