1.    #1  
    I would love to get a chance to test out the 650's 1-megapixel phonecam, but from a recent test I did with the Samsung i550 I don't how much of an improvement this will be.

I went to the new Samsung Experience "store" in the also new Time Warner mall on Columbus Circle. Bringing my own SD card, I did some shots and posted them.

The lens on this phonecam is about the same size as the 600's, but the extra pixels didn't seem to make much of a difference in the overall quality. Color correction is better, but I assume that's a software fix.

There should be a better index of measuring phonecam quality than megapixels. If you go with a larger lens, than you'd have to include a focusing mechanism.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    hmmm

interesting
    Eeek! That doesn't look promising! However, lets wait until the Ace comes out and developers start tinkering with the camera. I'm sure lots of apps like Qset, Pickem, and etc start to surface to improve the camera quality just like for the Treo600...

Also, I believe the Zire 72 has the same camera the Ace will have. Thus taking a look at the images produced by the Z72 may give a more accurate idea of what Ace's camera will do... unfortunately the Z72 camera doesn't look to steller either...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    I'll see if I can test the 72, but I still think this talk about multi-megapixel phonecams will eventually disappoint. And, if you can't adjust exposure quickly with a d-pad, it's too cumbersome to try to fix the exposure for each condition.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    My boss recently bought a zire72, with a 1.2 mp camera. Now, I was quite excited, knowing that the t650 will have a 1.3 mp cam with 65k screen. Alas, under office lighting conditions, the camera of the zire72 still exhibited blue dots, and poor picture quality! While my brother's xdaII, with a .3mp camera, gave much clearer shots under the same lighting conditions. What's going on here??? Is the OS to blame? Another concern I have is: will the t650 handle mp3/wav natively? If not, that means we'd have to shell out money again for our mp3/wav ring/alert tones! I'm excited with the new features and all, but I'll hold on to my t600 for now, even if my battery goes down to 50% within one day. Hopefully, these issues will be resolved... or I go for something else, maybe back to the arms of the pocket pc (shudder!)
    My daughter has a Zire 71 (maybe out of production now), and the camera quality is quite good, even in low light conditions. I've never seen the blue dots or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jqh1
    My daughter has a Zire 71 (maybe out of production now), and the camera quality is quite good, even in low light conditions. I've never seen the blue dots or anything like that.
    I agree. A friend of mine has a Zire 71 and the camera is quite usable. We took some pictures in a dimly-lit restaurant at night and they looked good. Then I tried with my Treo and they were unusable. I would very satisfied if the 650 has the same camera. As it is I only use the camera on the 600 as a last resort.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I'll take some pictures from the zire72, and the o2 xdaII, then will try to find a way to post them. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but information is power, and I will help out in anyway I can
    yes, please do

i'm very interested to see how this turns out
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    I'll take some pictures from the zire72, and the o2 xdaII, then will try to find a way to post them. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but information is power, and I will help out in anyway I can
    Well, it's still a 1m camera. It can't compare to a full-fledged digital camera nor should it try. 1.3 for a phone is pretty good.... IMO
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    If you post the pictures on this website, Sprint will ask you to take them down.
    that the 650 camera is not 1.3MP.

Can someone confirm?
    alryt... here are the pictures I took with my brother's xdaII and my boss' zire72. See how they stack up. The xdaII's pic is .3 mp(?) but still shows a good pic. However, it has a yellowish hue, maybe due to the lighting. The zire72's pic has better color saturation, but notice the color breaking up on the blue wall. These were taken at the same distance under the same lighting condition (inside the office), a few minutes apart. This would prove my point that the zire's camera, although 1.2 mp, is still crappy. I wonder if it's due to the hardware or the software though. Seems like the s/w is to blame since the t600 exhibits the same problem. Could be the OS too...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I think the Zire 72 pictures look much better than the xda2's. And what happend to the corners of the Xda2's pictures?
    (Slight diversion, but relevent). My wife just bought the Motorolla v710. (I know I know...) It has a 1.3mp camera on it and wow, its aweful. We took some shots with it and compared them with some digis we took with our old Kodak 1.3. No comparison. The phone cam was dingy, blue dotted, and just generally painful to lookat. After checking the forums over at Howard, its clear we are not alone.

Its a safe bet that the Ace will have a CMOS camera, as opposed to a CCD. Unfortunately, CMOS technology is still far from perfect, and I'd bet a pretty penny the Ace will have some of the same issues the v710 does...
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Also, I believe the Zire 72 has the same camera the Ace will have. Thus taking a look at the images produced by the Z72 may give a more accurate idea of what Ace's camera will do... unfortunately the Z72 camera doesn't look to steller either...
    I played with the Z72 and didn't think it did too bad. My baseline for judging the quality will be what I'm currently getting from my Treo 600 (link to my moblog below). So, if I can improve over that... then I will be happy
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    alryt... here are the pictures I took with my brother's xdaII and my boss' zire72. See how they stack up. The xdaII's pic is .3 mp(?) but still shows a good pic. However, it has a yellowish hue, maybe due to the lighting. The zire72's pic has better color saturation, but notice the color breaking up on the blue wall. These were taken at the same distance under the same lighting condition (inside the office), a few minutes apart. This would prove my point that the zire's camera, although 1.2 mp, is still crappy. I wonder if it's due to the hardware or the software though. Seems like the s/w is to blame since the t600 exhibits the same problem. Could be the OS too...
    I don't thin the xdaII pic is any good at all. That yellowish hue is unbareable. It doesn't get any mulligans because of the lighting because the Zire had the same lighting. I'll deal with a little color break-up because, in general, at least it's the right color to begin with.

I think your point of a 1.2MP being crappy is off. I think it's pretty darn good for 1.2 mp. If anything your pictures proved that 1.2MP is a great advance over .3MP.