1.    #1  
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Besides the date of October 25, I find it quite interesting that the Tungsten T5 will have 256 MB of memory. Even if half of it for redundancy, that's still 128MB. No way Palm releases the Treo 650 with just a 1/4 of it's high end device. I think the theory of left over 32MB chips doesn't hold too much water, because the Treo 600 can still use the 32 MB chip leftovers and the Treo 650 can use 64 MB chips.
    Oops didn't see this gem:

"PalmOne has said one factor in its decision to use Garnet is its compatibility with the Mac operating system and the community of consumers using it. PalmSource is not expected to create a Mac version of its Palm Desktop for Cobalt--so far, it has developed a Windows version only."

I guess we know why we didn't get Cobalt now. That's a fair enough explanation to me.
    At $400 T5 is dead. It won't be able to compete against competitor. Dell will have Palm for lunch with their X50 series.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    At $400 T5 is dead. It won't be able to compete against competitor. Dell will have Palm for lunch with their X50 series.

Ironically and sadly, I have to agree. Really, WTF is P1 thinking? $400 bucks for what? builitn 256 Flash? This is a total rippoff and pathetic friggin excuse for a "supposed update" to the T line. If this is the best then can do, then screw it and I'll probably just get a X50 like every other person fuming right now over at PIC!! At say perhaps $300 and marketed as a TE2..maybe. Otherwise this is a total disgrace All I hope now is that PalmOne doesn't make the same ***** mistakes with the Treo and destoy that line as they seem to be doing with the Tungsten...

Besides the date of October 25, I find it quite interesting that the Tungsten T5 will have 256 MB of memory. Even if half of it for redundancy, that's still 128MB. No way Palm releases the Treo 650 with just a 1/4 of it's high end device. I think the theory of left over 32MB chips doesn't hold too much water, because the Treo 600 can still use the 32 MB chip leftovers and the Treo 650 can use 64 MB chips.
    Sorry, but it isn't 256 MB fo Ram. P1 is using a (probably a M-sys based) Nand 256MB Flash memory with only 64 MB for ram, 160MB useable file store (internal storage), 32 MB dynamic heap, and 55MB OS and built-in apps)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Sorry, but it isn't 256 MB fo Ram. P1 is using a (probably a M-sys based) Nand 256MB Flash memory with only 64 MB for ram, 160MB useable file store (internal storage), 32 MB dynamic heap, and 55MB OS and built-in apps)...
    I figured it wasn't all for RAM. I thought half was used for the back up. Oh well, in any case, you seem to know more than me about the way Palm counts their storage. If I read your post correct it might have 160MB for applications? Even if that's after the 55MB OS and built-in apps it's huge amounts more than the Treo 650's rumored memory. I mean, the Treo's rumored memory is just enough to fit more than half of the OS and built-in apps if I'm reading this correctly. Shouldn't the two devices have similar applications, or if anything, the Treo have more to deal with phone type functions?
    Do we know for sure that the T5 runs OS5.x ? How can it be that basically all PLMO adds to its top-of-the-line model is more memory and no slider?!?!?! It's outrageous that it has neither OS6 nor integrated WiFi. Does Athena bring anything in the way of new functionality? Will is at least be upgradable to OS6 in few weeks/months? This is all very disappointing. Why does PLMO CONSISTENTLY disappoint rather than delight?
    Last edited by Conqueror; 10/01/2004 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    Why does PLMO CONSISTENTLY disappoint rather than delight?
    Ahh.. the question for the ages...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Is the release date of October 25 for the Treo 650 official? or is is just another guess or hearsay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    Do we know for sure that the T5 runs OS5.x ?...
    "The new smart phone will use PalmSource's Garnet operating system."
    The article does not mention the OS on the T5.
    The statement they made points to "smart phone", meaning Treo 650.
    So keep your fingers crossed for Cobalt on the T5!
    looks offical to me.....I dont seee CNET releasing this kind of story without sources.....CNET is a main stream media outlet
    Did anyone notice the comment at the bottom?
    The present top-model Treo 600 will continue to ship but will carry a lower price, PalmOne has said, as part of its effort to create a family of phone devices.
    This might be the source of all of those 'family of treos' statements as opposed to another device.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    looks offical to me.....I dont seee CNET releasing this kind of story without sources.....CNET is a main stream media outlet
    I would put no more faith in CNET than, say, Dan Rather.

(may be valid, may be bull - but the source means literally nothing)
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    I would put no more faith in CNET than, say, Dan Rather.

(may be valid, may be bull - but the source means literally nothing)

Now that's funny!!
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Ironically and sadly, I have to agree. Really, WTF is P1 thinking? $400 bucks for what? builitn 256 Flash? This is a total rippoff and pathetic friggin excuse for a "supposed update" to the T line. If this is the best then can do, then screw it and I'll probably just get a X50 like every other person fuming right now over at PIC!! At say perhaps $300 and marketed as a TE2..maybe. Otherwise this is a total disgrace All I hope now is that PalmOne doesn't make the same ***** mistakes with the Treo and destoy that line as they seem to be doing with the Tungsten...

I dont know... I was a Palm user for many years then made the jump to PPC with a HP 4155. Had it for about 6 months. I'm now back with palm. Much better user interface! Found the PPC interface neat at first but after extended use, not functional for a person that wants quick access to their data. Just seemed cumbersome compared to palm

I guess if I would have bought the PPC device first, I would have not know what I was missing with palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by midyear66
    I dont know... I was a Palm user for many years then made the jump to PPC with a HP 4155. Had it for about 6 months. I'm now back with palm. Much better user interface! Found the PPC interface neat at first but after extended use, not functional for a person that wants quick access to their data. Just seemed cumbersome compared to palm

I guess if I would have bought the PPC device first, I would have not know what I was missing with palm.
    really? what exactly did you miss with Palm that doesn't exist in PPC? What do you mean by 'user interface' for quick access? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $POS$ $user$ $interface$ $is$ $clumsy$, $inconsistent$, $and$ $not$ $very$ $extensible$. $It$'$s$ $an$ $organizer$ $pretending$ $to$ $be$ $something$ $else$.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    really? what exactly did you miss with Palm that doesn't exist in PPC? What do you mean by 'user interface' for quick access? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $POS$ $user$ $interface$ $is$ $clumsy$, $inconsistent$, $and$ $not$ $very$ $extensible$. $It$'$s$ $an$ $organizer$ $pretending$ $to$ $be$ $something$ $else$.
    Nothing was "missing" in the PPC, just different.

Data access: like I said in the earlier post, this could familiarity but it seemed it always took me one or more taps to get the info I needed. Hence the statement: ďI guess if I would have bought the PPC device first, I would have not know what I was missing with palm.Ē As far as it being an organizer first; I believe it is. Thatís why it does it so well. The other features that have been added over the years are just bonuses.

Another thing that comes to mind is the sync application. Only allowing 2 computers to be set up was troublesome. I have three; work, home, laptop. It also was not reliable. I used WiFi to sync and it seemed I always had to soft reset the device in order to sync.

The data recovery issues. Once a username is created and sync'ed, if a hard reset or backup restoration is necessary, it is difficult to restore to same username. This may have been ignorance on my part but I talked to others that had the same issues.

Another thing was the limited number of applications open at a time. If I opened to many applications, the PPC didnít like it, I canít remember symptoms. To correct, I would have to go into memory management and stop applications. Clicking on the X in the corner just hid the application, not stop it. I have never had an issue like this on palm, even though it's applications stay resident as well.

Iím sure most of these issues are the personal preference and familiarity type, but I have many co-workers that went down the same path as me and returned. The common factor was, all of these coworkers started with palm. Here is the gist of the post: If a person is familiar with palm, he might not like the PPC interface.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mwylde
    Did anyone notice the comment at the bottom?

This might be the source of all of those 'family of treos' statements as opposed to another device.
    i was hoping for a bunch of new devices---
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    i was hoping for a bunch of new devices---
    Ouch - what's that pungent odor around PalmOne these days - darest I say a lingering death is upon us?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.