1.    #1  
    So we have ANOTHER universal connector for the T5 and Treo 650.

WHY?????????

I've yet to meet a Palm or Pocket PC PDA that I couldn't sync and power from a USB cable connected to my notebook. So if you have sufficient lines/signal/power, WHATEVER, coming out of the end going into the notebook, WHY can't the connector at the other end be a standard USB device connector?

Greed or technology - someone explain.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I don't understand what the greed factor would be. I don't see how either one makes more money from their other cables. Sure you might have to buy new accessories, because they technically don't fit, but on the same lines, Palm could just not the write the drivers for older accessories to work with new phones.

I think the answer is probably technology. I don't know how much power a USB cable provides, but I don't think it's enough to charge a phone as fast the current connectors, but that's just my speculation. The other thing might be that USB ports might be too big to fit in a cell phone.
    Well I welcome the new Treo Connector. Bc they brought the pins to the surface and are no longer ressessed there is less chance of breaking the pins off or loosening them. This was a problem with the past treo's.. had it happen twice to my 270 and once to my 600
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Actuallyfrom what I understand there is alot of advantages for a serial connector vs usb. For example alot peripherals, especially industrial legacy, do not support usb profiles. I imagine alot of stuff like the Grappa, credit card processing sys, serial gps, various scientific devices, as well connector calbes to other devices like pda's depend on serial connections and would not work via usb...

Of course, this could all be solved if P1 supports usb host the Treo, but that doesn't appear that it will happen anytime soon...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I don't understand what the greed factor would be. I don't see how either one makes more money from their other cables....
    You're joking, right? If every other generation they change the connector, and NO old peripherals work, then car charges, extra cradles, keyboards, etc have to ALL be replaced - and there are many folks who still won't use third party solutions like we do on these boards - thy're worried they"FRY" their exepnsive new toy with non-OEM parts.

I have an acquaintence who works for a major electronics retail company, and the markup on peripherals is often 100%, compared to 10-15% for the device itself.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I don't understand what the greed factor would be. I don't see how either one makes more money from their other cables. Sure you might have to buy new accessories, because they technically don't fit, but on the same lines, Palm could just not the write the drivers for older accessories to work with new phones.

I think the answer is probably technology. I don't know how much power a USB cable provides, but I don't think it's enough to charge a phone as fast the current connectors, but that's just my speculation. The other thing might be that USB ports might be too big to fit in a cell phone.
    The GREED factor is the fact that they get to sell you more accesories. By the way can you think of ONE good reason for changing connectors, considering that no functionality has ever been added by these changes in connectors.

Regarding the size issue, the irony is that a mini USB connector is far smaller than the existing connector on the Treo600 and by the looks of it the connector on the Treo 650 seems to be even bigger. BY the way the Tungsten T-3 uses a standard USB connector and it sems to have all funtionality one expects from a hotsync/charging connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    The GREED factor is the fact that they get to sell you more accesories. By the way can you think of ONE good reason for changing connectors, considering that no functionality has ever been added by these changes in connectors.

OH chill dude! Sheesh, palmOne/HS maintained the standard Treo connector for three generations already! What do you expect, that they should keep the legacy connector for ever?!?! I personally have spent a bucketload of $$ on Treo-connector specific accessories, and would have like to continue using them with future Treo generations. But if the Athena connector is able to increase the functionality and usefullness of the Treo, then I don't mind it..

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    We need an enterprising company to build a bridge connector for our old peripherals. I'd be pretty ticked if I had a usb charger, keyboard, i.trek, etc and have to replace it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You're joking, right? If every other generation they change the connector, and NO old peripherals work, then car charges, extra cradles, keyboards, etc have to ALL be replaced - and there are many folks who still won't use third party solutions like we do on these boards - thy're worried they"FRY" their exepnsive new toy with non-OEM parts.

I have an acquaintence who works for a major electronics retail company, and the markup on peripherals is often 100%, compared to 10-15% for the device itself.
    No I wasn't joking. I understand that you have to buy new accessories when they change connectors. However, if Palm wanted to play the greed card, they could keep the same connector and just change the drivers so the old cradles, car chargers (well maybe not these since they probably don't require drivers), and keyboards won't work with Palm OS 5.4.

We've learned from SDIO wifi and bluetooth that just because tab A fits into slot B, it doesn't necessary have to work on a given device.

On the other hand Palm has made the news Tungstens and new Treo the same connector so that suggests they aren't playing the greed card because then they'd make each one slightly different.

And as Gfunk said, I've been able to use my car charger from my Treo 300.

To camartin, the i.trek I have comes with different connectors that Semson's sells. Thus you'd just have to buy a new cable. It's something like $6 I think. As for the other accessories, you can probably recover about 60% of their value on ebay and get something newer and better to go with the newer and better Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    We need an enterprising company to build a bridge connector for our old peripherals. I'd be pretty ticked if I had a usb charger, keyboard, i.trek, etc and have to replace it all.
    You mean some one like this?

http://www.midwestpcbdesigns.com/

I think it may be possible, but not probable...

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    OH chill dude! Sheesh, palmOne/HS maintained the standard Treo connector for three generations already! What do you expect, that they should keep the legacy connector for ever?!?! I personally have spent a bucketload of $$ on Treo-connector specific accessories, and would have like to continue using them with future Treo generations. But if the Athena connector is able to increase the functionality and usefullness of the Treo, then I don't mind it..
    Pray tell me what extra funtionality can/will the change of connector bring. If there was any true increase in functionality by switching connectors, I am totally for it. Also my issue is not so much with the change in connector but rather with the fact that they ought to have changed to a standard USB connector which so many things (digital cameras, remote controls, Tungsten-E PDA etc) already use. Having a standard USB connector makes things so much easier. I cna simply unplug my camera and plugin my remote control or plugin my wife's Tungsten-E to hotsync when needed. No need for multiple cables. Also when I travel I have to only carry one cable with me instead of a cable each for all the different toys one has now a days.
    I suppose you also find logic (and not greed) as the reason behind the numerous different chargers and batteries that manufacturers insist on having. Someone needs to tell the computer industry that standardisation is a bad thing and therefore we ought to do away with VGA, DVI, USB, Ethernet, Firewire connectors and let each PC manufacturer have a different standard for each new model of PC they introduce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    Pray tell me what extra funtionality can/will the change of connector bring. If there was any true increase in functionality by switching connectors, I am totally for it.

Just a quick thought...what if the connector was changed so attachments could access more of the treo's hardware. I dont know how accessible everything was through the Treo600 connector...but here are a few ideas.

T650 --> Monitor connector...for presentations.

T650 FM Radio Attachment - to go along with your mp3s

T650 Memory card reader...allowing access to another SD card or possibly other styles of memory cards.

GPS device that doesnt use the SD slot.

The new connector might allow data access through the cell (i know you can do this with a laptop currently...this would be for devices that I cannot think of at 5AM)

A Game pad attachment
    I would love for Treo to come up with high speed data transfer like firewire or USB2

One of the things I like about my ipod is that I can bring it to work, then at the end of the day, I can dl a few GB of my current work (in like 5 minutes), then I am out the door, and I can take my work home or on the road with me.

ever try to fill up a 1 GB SD card from the Treo cable? It takes a long long time. I guess I can get a firewire SD card reader, but it would be even nicer to have the high speed connection built into the Treo.
    The best connector would be a mini usb 2 connector (type b). Excellent for xfer and charging.

Still waiting to see what pda vendor does this...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    T650 FM Radio Attachment - to go along with your mp3s
    What I want is, internet radio. Minnesota pro sports teams are on AM, not FM. Also, I have Sirius satellite radio in my car, which means I can get internet radio through their website. This will be really annoying on a Garnet-based PDA phone, because the phone and the radio will get in each other's way.
    Isn't the connector the same universal connector all other PalmOne products have? It seems that they just want to standardize all their expansion products over their whole line. Handspring was the one who had something different, and seeing it's now truly PalmOne, they got rid of it, no? Unless I'm wrong about the connector, I think this would make other products cheaper and easier to find. Plus you could find keyboards and stuff on ebay that work with it since there are millions of those things from past generations. If I am wrong, please correct me, but that's what it looks like to me from the pictures.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Does the current Treo 600 have USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? I ask because HotSync'ing this has always been WAY faster than my Treo 270. I figured it was USB 2.0. Most devices these days that say merely "USB" on the packaging are actually USB 2.0, in my experience.

Curious what the true specs are and what the Treo 650 will be.

Also curious if Bluetooth syncing will be faster or slower then my current setup.
    b/c Palm cares about future revenue, not past customer investment.
    I am now glad I didn't by a car kit. It's one thing resenting the fact that old equipment won't work with the new Treo because of the money spend, but for me it would be even worse having to rip out a car installation and have a new one fitted. I'm glad I didn't do it now. I tend to replace my phone every year, so unless I can be certain that a car kit won't need replacing when I get my next phone I'm reluctant to have one fitted. Perhaps with Bluetooth on the Treo 650 this will be less of an issue.

(messing up by car by repeatedly installing different car kits is even more important than the cost of the car kit - in fact if they could charge a premium price for a car kit that is future proof that would be the best option).