Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I mentioned this is Cahsdad's gigantic thread, but no one else seemed to notice or care (hard to believe).

Cahsdad took one picture of the Treo 650 browsing, it was www.treocentral.com's front page (http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...achmentid=4056 ). So I loaded it on my 600 to compare, and to my disgust, my Treo 600 displayed the page pretty much exactly the same as the 650. Though I did notice, the 650 had pictures displayed quicker (judging by the amount downloaded).

But this disturbs me, one of the reasons why I wanted a high res screen was to display more area, ie view the web through a 4x larger key hole. This doesn't appear to be the case. Does anyone have any comments, or think it may be a configurable item? Or are we doomed to view the web on the 650 the same as the 600 (although slightly crisper).
    screen resolution only refers to how many pixels you fit in the same area...more pixels more clarity. so when you go from 160x160 to 320x320, you're not going to see more screen real estate, you're only going to see the images on that same screen much clearer.

hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    That doesn't make sense to me. If I change the resolution of my monitor (from 640x480 to 1024x768), I get much more information on a page at the higher resolution, yet the physical size of my monitor is not changing. How is this not the same as the treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by richlux
    That doesn't make sense to me. If I change the resolution of my monitor (from 640x480 to 1024x768), I get much more information on a page at the higher resolution, yet the physical size of my monitor is not changing. How is this not the same as the treo?
    Because Windows keep the DPI (dots per inch) the same, causing text to get smaller, while palmOS doubles the DPI, causing text to get sharper.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I did not know this. Thanks for the info.
    If the web browser was built skillfully, you'd think they'd let you adjust the text font sizes, thus you'd get more info if your eyes could read the small text. Think of what happens when you look at a page at it's biggest font vs. the smallest font in your PC's browser. Personally, I think I'd like something that would get me about 250 pixels across with better clarity than I have now.
    I pretty sure there should be some scaling functionality on PalmOS similar to VGA_SE for ppc's. Also, alot totally depends on how the browser renders the page!! For example, the new Web Broswers 3.0 just announced at PalmSource Devcon for Cobalt 6.1 using a special type of "squeeze rendering" that supposed to reduce horizontal scrolling similar to Opera Browser. Obviously this won't be available for the Ace, but it is indicative for the type of desktop quality-like browsing that is achievable on mobile devices. Another example is Webviewer from Reqwireless which imo also does a nice job of page rendering...

P.S. On a side note, boy would I love to have Opera for PalmOS! There also does appear to be some support for though...

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=palm

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    On a side note, boy would I love to have Opera for PalmOS!
    Yes! Yes!!
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.
    the version of the browser on that treo 650 must not have been setup to use the full screen resolution of 320x320.....

just like some of the games you see listed for PalmOS will say they work for high-rez and regular....

if the program you're using only uses the 160x160 resolution, then everything will be doubled, and you won't be taking advantage of the high-rez screen...

I'm sure when it's released the updated browser will be able to take advantage of the higher resolution screen, and you will get more info on the same screen... just smaller...
    Since Cliés, Zires and Tungstens display more screen real estate at 360 x 360, I'll assume that the same will hold for the Ace. It's going to take more than a single photo to make me freak out over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    P.S. On a side note, boy would I love to have Opera for PalmOS! There also does appear to be some support for though...
    I'd rather have me some Minimo. I realize I probably won't for like another couple of years, but nothing beats Mozilla in my opinion.
    The low screen resolution makes web browsing on the Treo 600 impractical. It will be essential that I get 4x the info on the screen,, otherwise I won't consider buying a Treo 650.

Having said that, it's surely only a software matter, so I'd be very surprised if there wasn't at least the option for quality vs area.

This is one major factor when I'm comparing the Treo 650 with the MDA III - the screen width of the treo is 320 pixels whereas the MDA III is only 240. I'm expecting therefore to get more on the treo screen than tha MDA III.
    i think the people that think the web browsing is going to be different w\ the 650 are going to be disappointed. the 320x320 is going to look the other palms...very clear but no additional real estate.

if you could change the way the web browser displays data don't you think that the entire unit, not just the web browser would have that capability?

from gfunk's link, the technology everyone is clamoring for won't be available until a Cobalt unit is released. another reason why i'll probably sit this version out.
    webslappy,

You're simply wrong about this. Have you seen some of the other screenshots? The unit clearly has the capability... what's the point of upgrading the screen to 320x320 if you can't use it???? it's the programs that determine if they are going to use the entire resolution or not....

How you used a Tungsten C? I have, and you 100%, no question about it, get the extra screen real estate when browsing the web...
    What webslappy is saying sounds ridiculous, BUT I have a horrible feeling it may be true...

My desktop screen resolution is 1280 across, the treocentral logo at the top of the screen is about 1/4 of the width of the screen, ie, approx 320 pixels. If this is the same as the treo 600, then somehow the treo 600 must be showing more screen area than it should be capable of, ie. zoomed out (displaying every other pixel).

The only possible hope would be that if it is possible for the treo 600 to do this at the expense of clarity, then the treo 650 should be capable of doing the same (after all it's only software). So perhaps the treo 650 should be capable of displaying the equivalent of 640 pixels across. That would make it seriously useful for web browsing.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing web pages more clearly, if it means that the area viewable is still too small to be useful.
    I believe the reason why the picture of the treo650 has the same sized "treocentral" pic as a Treo600 is due to the fact that the images are being resized to fit the screen. Since the origional image is wider then 320 it is scaled down to a width of 320. Same goes for treo 600...it squeezes the image down to a width of 160. Thus both Treos render the page with the banner taking up the entire width.

You would see the difference if the treo was put into wide page mode.

The 600 displays up to most of the "c" in "central" in wide page mode...with the 650 you should see up to the "r" in "central". Surfing will be changed but only for widepage mode...and VNCing to your PC.
    cruelpupet, excellent point......
    As the former owner of a Hi-Res Clie, I can confirm that the screen WILL be able to display mpre information than what the 600 is currently capable of displaying. Like others have said, the Palm OS, by itself, only takes advantage of the clarity of the 320x320. Third party apps will utilize the extra screen real estate of the higher resolution.

All you have to do is go to some of the developer sites that have programs on Palmgear.com. Many of them show what their software looks like in the 160x160 and 320x320. It is different.

Mike
    webslappy wrote:
    i think the people that think the web browsing is going to be different w\ the 650 are going to be disappointed. the 320x320 is going to look the other palms...very clear but no additional real estate.

As a current owner of a Sony Clie (TJ37) I have to agree with MikeK2: 320 x 320 does display more screen real estate, not just more pixels. If you really need evidence, check out PIC's Tungsten screenshots, which include images of WebPro at 320 x 320.
    my response that you'll be disappointed was to those they think the new treo will some how scale a whole page to fit in 'optimized' mode. it seems that others have confirmed what I was trying to say.

if you'll only see benefits in wide mode what's the advantage... you'll have to scroll less. doesn't seem like a great selling point, but then again I only use the optimized mode and I don't VPN
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast