Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
    Nothing is being said about being able to buy the 650 via vienna for 349...only that we can 'demo' it.. Anyone find out if the buy deal is still avail?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTreo600
    Nothing is being said about being able to buy the 650 via vienna for 349...only that we can 'demo' it.. Anyone find out if the buy deal is still avail?
    It's still there. However the point made at the show was that Vienna Channels is not a store and we should not treat it as such. In fact, the presentation stated specifically, if you want it fast, your best bet is through traditional retail channels, and NOT VC.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTreo600

I just put in my order for a GSM 650.
    Went to mid afternoon session...went to the registration desk....lady handed me my badge and said "Here's your coupon for the Treo discount"...took a quick look at the Sprint version (love the color)...and left...I'll be home placing my order before the session is even over...

I suspect that they gave the coupons up front due to the high turnout and figuring that many were there just for the coupon only...
    I just got finished ordering my GSM treo 650 unlocked via viennachannels.com
    If you go to the page, it will ask you if you want to demo a treo or purchase a treo. I selected purchase, and then selected Treo 650 GSM unlocked.
    Received the confirmation email, and my order is 89x something.

If you attend a roadshow, you should have no problem ordering a GSM treo 650.

Lewisl

http://www.viennachannels.com/palmoneevents

P.S. FYI:
    I asked the registration peeps about how they verified attendance. He said as long as I picked up my name tag, I was marked as attended. He then said after the shows are over for the day, they go through all the tags NOT picked up and they are marked as NOT attending.
    I asked bout bluetooth music ... palm has no profile to it but he has heard some one is doing it
    Quote Originally Posted by jvanyc
    NYC Roadshow, AM session
    I was in first row, I thought it was a great experience, frankly I find it amazing some of the critisisms I see on hear. My favorite was the guy in the second row on the window side who actually TOOK A CALL a few minutes into the main presentation. Ya gotta wonder what caves people were brought up in sometimes.
    ANYWAY....
    The background on the development of the unit over the past few years was fascinating. If one has to put a face behind the treo600 I think it would be Peter Skillman. Very impressive person. You can just tell how passionate he is about what they are developing and he was genuinely interested in feedback and ideas from users. If you ever wonder about why something is the way it is on the 600 or 650 I think you could be sure that Peter has an honest thoiughtful answer. I was most impressed how his answers were an attempt to get you to see how they are thinking as they develop the line. Not filled with corporate double talk to marketing BS. It seems to me we owe our love of the Treo to Peter Skillman. (I just met him today I have no relationship with the guy)
    After the main presentation half a dozen people were crowded around asking him questions and the issue of the 600's quality problems in the units was addressed. He was honest and forthcoming about the problems. While he in no way passed the buck on the responsibility, it sure sounds like PalmOne was shafted big time by some vendor in china. He is confident that the 650's have addressed the problems on a number of levels. There were several of us who had gone through 4, 5 or 6 defective units. Its more of a testiment to how good the treo is that we stick with it. It looks like the advancements with the 650 really put this thing on the top shelf. Everything that has been said about the Great keyboard, amazing screen, wonderful camera etc appear to be true. I certainly can't wait to get mine.
    So that might sound like a lot of soft stroking but I think we owe a huge thanks to these people for what they have developed. Its in a class by itself and for what it costs its worth three times the value.

jvanyc, I was the guy who asked the question about the build quality problems of the Treo 600 during the group huddle with Peter SKillman. He truely gave an honest answer and I appreciated the time he took out to speak to all of us.

Lewisl77
    Agreed. I thought Peter Skillman appeared very enthusiastic about the Treo and honestly concerned about users' ideas on how to improve it. Does anyone know if he is a former Palm employee, or if he worked on the original Treo?
    I was there listening in on Peter's entertaining demo of Kinoma movies connected to an ipod speaker! Very nice guy with very genuine concern with its' Treo customers, if only Palm1 has more of those kind of employees.

Hey jvanyc, I was the Asian guy right next to you when he handed out those business cards for being a loyal 5 return customer! Can you pm me his email address? I had a few more questions for him that I didn't have time to ask him.

Notice the 20 man to 1 woman ratio in the morning session?

Just order the 650 via Viennachannels and I'm #906...yeesh, looks like the end of the food chain.
    Last edited by Frenzytom; 11/16/2004 at 12:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Hi, can someone PLEASE post the Treo Road Show NYC Coupon, I accidentally returned the sheet with my feedback form. Thanks a million!
    did any one pick on how nervous was the gentelman who spoke after peter when asked about wifi? he was clearly lying about the whole wifi... mumbling a little his voice all trembling and such... what a looser...
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    At the afternnon show.. red shirt - 6th row back right side. Talked with Seven software ppl for a bit.. got to play with a 650. Very nice - keyboard is a bit different, but will be not a big deal to get used to.
    Just ordered a 650 GSM...#919. I was standing in the back during the first session...i wrote TC on my badge with a pen..hehe..I can't wait!!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Just got a card from David Bernal from Sprint and he verbally said 'we will have the phones next week'. That's about as definitve as you can get.
    Peter even mentioned if he had his way with the amount of RAM on the new Treo, he said he would had added 64mb instead of the 32mb that is available. Can someone mention Treocentral to him, so he can address other possible issues in this forum in the future?
    palmsmart is the code, only gona work if you actually went...

Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    jvanyc, I was the guy who asked the question about the build quality problems of the Treo 600 during the group huddle with Peter SKillman. He truely gave an honest answer and I appreciated the time he took out to speak to all of us.

Lewisl77
    What was the honest answer?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Only MIDI ringers will be playable. Based on my past experience with Real, I do not believe the application will allow it to be hijacked (speculation) to play MP3s. To say nothing of Ogg Vorbis and WAVs like PocketTunes (in conjunction with Call Filter, etc.) would let you do.
    I could've sworn some1 said it would do WAV ringers. One issue I had with the Treo600 was that I couldn't hear it and the vibrate was weak so I couldn't feel it.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey
    What was the honest answer?
    Well, he acknowledge that there were build quality issues with the Treo 600. Specifically he mentioned the buzzing issue, also the dead speaker issue that many have had. He didn't beat around the bush, and he mentioned (as it has been said here before) that they are now using HTC to produce the Treo 650. He believes the build quality of the 650 will be far superior to the 600. Also, someone asked if P1 had taken a big hit due to the many returns and problems with the 600 and he stated the they had taken a huge hit. Thus, the reason why they switched suppliers to HTC.

And about the GSM treo 650, he said the delay in shipping the GSM version was because they are still hammering out some of the software glitches and bugs, but that it would be out soon.
    Back from the Road Show after grabbing some KFC with Skillllllz!

My initial thoughts:

The venue for the presentation could've been better. I was in the 6th row and had a hard time catching some of the slides, although most were fine. It must've been impossible for the folks in the back.

When Joe and others spoke there was nothing new, nothing intersting that we already don't know. (This is just another testament to us and how far ahead of the curve we really are.) The show, of course, is geared toward enterprise customers. For me as well as other TC folks I think this was more about seeing the faces behind P1 and asking them specific questions we had individually and collectively, as a forum.

Peter Skillman in an interesting man. He's the director of new product development (he later beamed me and the whole world his business card). While he's the "techiest" of the people that presented for Palm - he also seems the most sympathetic to problems with the Treo 600. He acknowledged a lot of the problems with the 600, which I thought was very humble (whether it was part of good salesmanship or not). Others have already mentioned accolades about him. I was glad that I got a chance to speak with him personally. I didn't speak to any other Palm rep - they all felt "cold". I wouldn't be surprised if Peter knows or has come to know about this forum.

Some interesting tidbits:
    T-Mobile and Verizon never mentioned among carriers, although slide presentation mentioned support for 650 among ALL major N. American carriers.

VPN client set-up (Thanks Skilllllz) through Blazer web browser!! Wow! Skillllz will probably be able to talk more about this.

Keyboard light API. I mentioned this earlier. The good news is that Palm built an API for keyboard backlight. The bad news is that they didn't build a GUI for the user to control it. I (and others) asked Peter about this and he said that that's one of his first priorities on the 650 ooops-we-should've-done-that list. Although I'm sure since an API exists software such as Brightcam can be made to control the lighting before Palm releases a flash.

I also got a chance to play with the 650 several times. Sweet unit! The screen is amazing and the remapping of certain keys makes it feel more intuitive. I'm convinced this is what the 600 should've been. Peter and I took our Treos (his 650) and put them side by side for a camera comparison. The difference between the cameras is night and day. I never really cared about the camera in the first place, but I feel comfortable that this one is reliable for low-light and accurate shots.

Best part of the Roadshow was meeting the TC people. It's simply amazing how far we've come, how we lust for these geeky inanimate objects amde and powered by corporate goons we all love to hate sometimes. However, our bond is the bond of communication. It's what we all love to do - whether to our friends, families, significant others or strangers. I haven't done so formally, but I give a lot of credit to this forum, the moderators that control it and the people that make it. Thanks.

and now for some shout outs!

Rabbi - I was the guy right next to you when you were talking to Peter in the huddle. The Kinoma presentation was pretty cool, wasn't it!! I was the guy wearing a black fleece.

Edwin, Andy - nice meeting you cats.

Skilllllz - we should hit Slate sometime, man.