1.    #1  
    The new sonyericsson S700i uses a CCD (Charged Coupled Device) sensor. Does anyone know if the new Treo 650 camera is CCD or CMOS (Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) ???

Thanks in advance..

CC
    What's the difference between the two?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I believe using CCD would produce a "better" looking image over using CMOS.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Nope. All Canon's high-end digital cameras (as well as all of the high quality digital cameras in the marketplace) use CMOS. it uses less power and is less susceptable to noise. That's why a Canon Digital Rebel produces better images than a Nikon D70. Sure the Nikon has more bells and whistles, but the CMOS in the Canon blows Nikon's CCDs away.

What you say is true of 1990's era CMOS. Today it's a different world.
    WGAF. Gimme wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart
    Nope. All Canon's high-end digital cameras (as well as all of the high quality digital cameras in the marketplace) use CMOS. it uses less power and is less susceptable to noise. That's why a Canon Digital Rebel produces better images than a Nikon D70. Sure the Nikon has more bells and whistles, but the CMOS in the Canon blows Nikon's CCDs away.

What you say is true of 1990's era CMOS. Today it's a different world.
    Thanks for the clarification
    bilbo,

WGAF what YOU want?
  8.    #8  
    Just found an interesting comparison at

http://www.dalsa.com/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.asp

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought."
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Gautama Buddha - Indian mystic, founder of Buddhism
    CCD vs CMOS

You can't really compare CCD and CMOS in high end cameras (Nikon and Canon) with cameras in cell phones. They are different to some degree. Most cell phones use CMOS, and as we all know the picture quality is not that great. Korea and Japan has been using CCD in some of their phones and the quality difference is incredible. The CMOS used in cell phones and Digital SLR's are quite different. I think the CMOS in cell phones is different from what is used in D-slr's.

there was a guy who posted pictures taken from an LG vx8000 on the Verizon Hofo forums and that phone used CCD over CMOS. The quality of the pics coming from the camera was astonishing. Unfortunately, the images on that thread are gone, otherwise I would have posted the link.

If the treo 650 has a CCD sensor similar to the LG VX8000, that will be a welcome addition.

P.S. I don't want to get into the whole Canon vs Nikon. But CMOS itself doesn't produce sharper images or less noise. Canon's software in their cameras do a lot of processing of the image. So the image "looks" sharper, but what the CMOS sensor captured necessarily wasn't. Both CMOS and CCD in D-SLR's take great pictures, but still require a lot of post-processing to equal something taken from 35mm Film.