1.    #1  
    The computer wonks at PC Magazine have now decided they are experts on 'Smartphones'

They gave editors choice to the Blackberry 7100t and the Nokia 6620, even though the Treo 600 got 4 out of 5 dots overall, like the above phones one of two that got 5/5 on Smartphone features (the BB got an NA!)

In the Scorecard, they gave the BB and Treo equal ratings in phone features (each 4.5) and gave the BB an 'NA' in Smart-phone features (the Treo got 5 out of 5). The Treo got 1 dot for Multimedia (Hello PCMag - wake up), 3.5 on messaging (vs 3 with BB); both got 5/5 on email.

So, in summary, they gave the Smart Phone Editors Choice to the BB 7100 even though it had an 'NA' for Smartphone features.

Sounds like a pretty DUMB editor!

(I also love some of their reviews where they claim that a Mac is more difficult to set up than a PC. Good thing they aren't biased!)
    They had one the other day where an editor (Lance) discovered Yahoo Domains and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, even though all of the features he got excited about have been available from other, cheaper, better registrars for YEARS. It was truly pathetic. At least Dvorak's column is consistently entertaining.

Brandon
    Many tech mag editors who do reviews of latest products are full of BS half the time. I worked for a PC manufacturer for 2 years and was exposed to some of the ridiculously corrupt crap that goes on. Mag editors are often willing to accept "gifts" of all kinds while carrying out the review. Can you guess what the reviews looked like prior to the "gift giving"?

It's all a bunch of bologna. I say if you are interested in a product, buy it and try it. Don't listen to some shmoe because he writes for a magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Mag editors are often willing to accept "gifts" of all kinds while carrying out the review. Can you guess what the reviews looked like prior to the "gift giving"?
    PCMag is notorious for this. One guy ran our local Palm User Group and suddenly converted to Pocket PCs. I saw many of his "gifts" and learned why he made the conversion.
  5.    #5  
    Really a shame. Seems like PC Mag was pretty good five years ago. A report in the mid-eighties converted me to the Mac, when they compared it with DOS.

Now, it is half the size it was in its heyday, has clear bias in reviews and editorial content, and is over its head with the current technology.

Dvorak is the only good thing left. Maybe they should make him Editor?
  6.    #6  
    Just saw this news release where RIM is releasing Blackberry Connect to allow Treo users to sign up for BB wireless services. With this SW, does anyone really need a BB?

http://rim.com/news/press/2004/pr-27_09_2004-01.shtml
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Here in Sweden the T600 got pretty good reviews although some where filled with errors. One editor even wrote that the T600 could not play mp3 while using other applications........
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    PC Magagazine editors are right. This phone with so many features missing do not deserve even avarage rating.

The camera is the worst. What else; bad resolution, no bluetooth, no MP3 software, no image viewer, no media player, no polyphonic ringtones, difficult to edit SIM directory, no doc edit (only viewer), an awful antenna and the battery can not be replaced if it is dried.

Do you like all these. At least if I would have knew about all this, I would have not bought it.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking
    PC Magagazine editors are right. This phone with so many features missing do not deserve even avarage rating.

The camera is the worst. What else; bad resolution, no bluetooth, no MP3 software, no image viewer, no media player, no polyphonic ringtones, difficult to edit SIM directory, no doc edit (only viewer), an awful antenna and the battery can not be replaced if it is dried.

Do you like all these. At least if I would have knew about all this, I would have not bought it.
    There's always e-Bay.
    All you T600 crazed people...I was bit dissapointed with the article as well (I mean, I love my 600!), BUT, when you read the review, they give BIG kudos to the T600, saying "even though it is a year old" that it still rocks. In that light, the brand spankin new BB device is the hot ticket right now, and they gave it Editors Choice, which I think is deserved. They made a note that they couldn't rate "SmartPhone" features because they were not available on the review unit, but would be in the final unit. So get off your high horses! We all know that the 600 would not remain the crowned king for years on end! Face it, it's actually getting "old" - and we need this kind of competition in the market, other companies need to "get it right", because this will only benefit us all in the long run.

Oh yeah, BTW, that $200 price ticket for the 7100 is pretty fantastic!

-Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking
    ...... bad resolution, no bluetooth, no MP3 software, no image viewer, no media player, no polyphonic ringtones, difficult to edit SIM directory, no doc edit (only viewer), an awful antenna and the battery can not be replaced if it is dried.

... At least if I would have knew about all this, I would have not bought it.
    Sorry Dking but in my book that makes you kinda dumb. Although you didnt say when you bought yours, since it's been out just about a year now, there is no shortage of information available on the web regarding this phone. All the things you complain about are discussed ad nauseum in many many places on the web.

You didnt make an informed choice when you bought, obviously. Whose fault is that? Not PalmOne. Sorry pal I have no sympathy for you. And the fact that you are such an uninformed and seemingly compulsive consumer, I dont think your opinion about the phone is of much value either.

Just my 2 cents.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  12.    #12  
    My point about this post is how can the DUMB editors at PCMag give a phone an Editor's Choice when they couldn't even try the smartphone features, giving it a big NA!

Meanwhile, they gave the Treo a reasonably nice review, 4 out of 5 overall rating (highest rating given to any phone), 5 out of 5 on smartphone features but no Editor's Choice.

Walt Mossberg reviewed the same 7100 and gave it a mediocre review in comparison to the Treo 600.

Bottom line: PCMag Editors should stick with computers and printers!
    i know the editors are morons if the treo got 4.5/5 for phone features? the treo phone features are pretty bad. i'd give it a 2/5 based on

-horrible ringer volume/vibrate strength
    -craptacular camera
    -i cant even set a decent alarm
    -try hanging up a 2nd call
    etc

the 600 while a nice attempt, is a mediocre phone and mediocre pda put together. the 650 will hopefully fix a lot of these problems but is already falling behind and it hasnt even come out yet (no wifi). overall i'd give it 3.5/5. i like my 600 and it does what i want it to (barely) but it isn't the device that will make me a treo fanboy.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    i know the editors are morons if the treo got 4.5/5 for phone features?...the 600 while a nice attempt, is a mediocre phone and mediocre pda put together...
    Maybe you should get the BB 7100?
    The editors at PC magazine seem to favorite the advertisers who spend the most money in advertising.

Primary reason I wouldn't subsribe to the biases rag.