Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got finished posting a comment on the mantragroups forums about the pricing.

::
    Causerie Deluxe - 1yr
    $34.99
    Causerie Standard - 1yr
    $24.99
    ::

These are yearly fees. Its a great product, just over priced I feel compared to what their competition is charging for similar products. Please let me know if I am expecting too much for too little!!!

Thanks!
    what's the difference in the two packages?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    What is the difference between deluxe and standard?
  4.    #4  
    Deluxe gives you the following on top of the standard version:

-->Multiple IM accounts of the same IM types
    -->Bots support

http://www.mantragroup.com/causerie.htm will give the run down...
    well verichat is $25 upfront and $20 per year. sounds pretty competitive to me.

since i don't need multiple IM of same type and i don't care about bots, $25 is probably the way i'll go.
    Well, I liked Causerie, thought it had a lot of potential.

With the announced price structure, I won't be buying, though.

I'm not sure why they bothered with the poll. The poll didn't ask for
    standard vs premium editions, just what would you pay (and I'm sure most users answered with the feature set in mind, including bots and multiple logins).

No one said $35. One person said $40. Everyone else said $25 or $20.
    So, they've chosen a price point higher than 92% of respondants said.
    Even that one person that said $40 specifically said for a one time fee, not yearly.

$35 per year? No way.

In that thread, I can't find a single person that seemed to mentioned prices along the lines of where they ended up.
    Sorry for disappointing you Marcus and MidYear. However, we have our reasons and justifications for the price we are asking for. Firstly, the polls indicated that $24.95 without bots was the right price for the product (when we had $29.99 and $39.99 on mind). We respected the decision that was made on the polls and reduced the price to $24.99. We feel that the product is worth the price, given the features it provides when compared to any of our competitors.

Again, the difference in the price versions of standard and deluxe was dependent on the server load and the amount of traffic carried. the multiple accounts have a significant amount of load on the server and so is the extra small price tag. However, the standard version has all other features including the skins, notifications and archiving log support (which we initially planned to keep in the deluxe version).

Before the polls, we thought of having only 1 version which has everything but then decided against it as some of the users wanted a lite version which was affordable and useful and the standard version exactly meets the requirements and the price point.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by causerie; 09/29/2004 at 11:48 PM.
    You should see the updated pricing scheme by tommorow. Here is the new pricing.

Standard Version for 1,2 and 3 yrs respectively
    1) $24.99
    2) $39.99 (19.99/yr)
    3) $49.99 (16.66/yr)

Deluxe Version for 1,2 and 3 yrs respectively
    1) $34.99
    2) $54.99 ($27.49)
    3) $69.99 ($23.33)

This pricing would apply only for a limited time and change after real time alerts and new features. Let me know if anyone thinks that the pricing is not competitive. The above pricing should be a killer given the options that we will add soon.

We want to give a tough competition to our competitors with the pricing structure and "features".

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers.
    Last edited by causerie; 09/29/2004 at 11:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Like a lot of people, I get annoyed by a subscription-based pricing scheme. However, this seems to be the way a lot of consumer software is going so what can you do?
    Nevetheless, if it's truly a great app, then I think the pricing structure can be justified.
    Ouch...that is steep, particularly when many of us are already on Chatter, Verichat, and AIM.

I would have bought for $19.99
    I would've purchased Deluxe at $30 - although that would've been tough too. I might just stay with Verichat.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I beta the product and like it a lot, but not enough to pay the structured fees as outlined on their site, would have preferred a one-time charge though.
    Causerie Standard offers login to IM accounts to Yahoo, MSN, AIM, ICQ and Jabber. It offers archiving, skins and all the features that any IM app offers in the market. If there are any features we lack, they should be present soon.

Causerie Deluxe offers stock quotes, weather info, eBay tracking info, Fedex, AI Chat Bot, gmail unread mails, amazon, california traffic, currency converter, google searches, treocentral news, dictionary all REAL TIME etc. We will definitely not stop here.

Deluxe shouldn't be compared with other "IM" applications as they cannot provide any of this information. The person who will see the value in the above information (condensed and damn fast) will definitely appreciate the true value of extra 10$ per year. Deluxe is just not IM app, it has real time data in it. We have added Multiple accounts of same platform.

Causerie Standard (as opposed to Deluxe) is like other IM apps in market.
    ...and Causerie standard is still more expensive than other apps. Although it shares the same initial price with Verichat, the annual renewal for Verichat is lower. To make the price lower than or equal to Verichat, I have to commit to multiple years.

It's not easy to compete a new product by saying "it's better, so we're gonna charge more". Sometimes you need to take the position that we're better, at the same or lower price, so we're a better value. Especially when many people have already invested in an alternative product.
    Another thing to take into account with ANY third-party solution is that access to the various IM services cannot necessarily be guaranteed unless there is a formal agreement between the IM service and the third-party. Verichat and Chatter have both had problems with this (mostly a matter of hours or a few days), but there's no guarantee that this can't happen anywhere.

Perhaps the Causerie folks would like to discuss this.

Marc
    Does Causerie support always-on? or SMS support?

Here's an idea. Always drives me nuts with Verichat. My friends send me friggin' long messages and they get chopped up into 20 sms snippets. Geesh. Makes my blood boil just thinking about it.

Anyway, here's my idea: Get a single SMS that says you have IM messages waiting. Click on the sms message and enter the application and retried all backlogged messages. In other words, even if data connection is not on, let the messages build up on the server, but stop the SMS notifications after the first one (or first from a particular person, your choice).

I'd pay 2x or more the price if you could do that.
    marcus, ok! So the concern is the renewal fees not committing to long term. Your opinion would count. Check back our website soon, you will see the renewal fees soon.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Another thing to take into account with ANY third-party solution is that access to the various IM services cannot necessarily be guaranteed unless there is a formal agreement between the IM service and the third-party. Verichat and Chatter have both had problems with this (mostly a matter of hours or a few days), but there's no guarantee that this can't happen anywhere.

Perhaps the Causerie folks would like to discuss this.

Marc
    Thanks Marc for bringing this up. We are actively working with the IM service providers to make this formal way to access their services.

We already have some in place and we are working with top IM provider presently for the license agreements.

If there is a change in protocol, we would be one in the lot to know about it beforehand. However, this is not guaranteed as they change sometimes without telling their licensees.
    who's the top IM provider?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Causerie - No problem. And thanks for cancelling my beta! And that of jaytee!

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast