1.    #1  
    I am debating on whether to stay with Sprint or go to T-mobile when I get my 650. I know Sprint will be the first carrier with the 650 (and I want my phone now!), but many people I talk to are with T-mobile and I would benefit with their mobile to mobile package.

How hard would it be to purchase an unlocked phone and sign up for T-mobile service? Once the 650 is released for Sprint, I'm assuming PalmOne will have an unlocked GSM phone available for purchase that I can use with T-mobile. Is this correct? Also, how would I purchase a T-mobile SIM card to use with the 650? Does T-mobile sell SIM cards as a stand alone or do I have to buy a phone and sign up for one of their plans?

Sorry for all the questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by daygo718
    Once the 650 is released for Sprint, I'm assuming PalmOne will have an unlocked GSM phone available for purchase that I can use with T-mobile. Is this correct?
    Huh? Don't understand this line of thought, unless it is because you are under the impression that T-Mobile and Sprint phones are interchangeable? T-Mobile uses GSM, while Sprint uses CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    Huh? Don't understand this line of thought, unless it is because you are under the impression that T-Mobile and Sprint phones are interchangeable? T-Mobile uses GSM, while Sprint uses CDMA.

I think Daygo was talking about the release date. Saying that once Sprint rolls out their CDMA phone that it shouldnt be long before Palm sells an unbranded GSM on their website.

I will let that ? be answered by the treocental users who have release dates memorized.

As for leaving Sprint for T-Mobile...what makes you so sure that these friends will remain on T-Mobile? What guarentee do you have that these people on T-mobile will continue to be your primary calls?

A friend of mine tried to convince me to leave Sprint for Nextel...I was the only non Nextel cell phone she called. I stayed with Sprint...now she is jumping to T-Mobile...because thats what her current BF uses and he makes up the majority of her calls.

I say stick with whatever service offeres you the most features and minutes for the least $$$. You'll win out in the end.
    I believe that you can buy a sim card for $20 from T-Mobile.

If you want to switch to T-Mobile, get the promotional phone when you sign up for service. Then when you get your unlocked Treo, swap in the sim card from the promo phone. You are done! And you have a backup phone as well. That is my plan when I move over from Nextel.

Sim cards store security information and your address book.
    The only time I've paid for a sim card is when I got a pre-paid one in Italy. I got my 270 from Handspring (remember them?) when it first came out, took it to T-Mobile, and got it for free when I signed up to pay them lots of money for at least a year. I also got a new larger card from them last year or early early this year so I could download more contacts from my 270 to use with a E715 when I complained that the phone kept losing the flash directory entries. No charge; the guy actually felt it was wrong that I still had an older, small card in the Treo. T-Mobile will mostly be happy to have your business. BTW, often you can get better deals by going through T-M customer service than in the stores.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  6.    #6  
    I think Daygo was talking about the release date. Saying that once Sprint rolls out their CDMA phone that it shouldnt be long before Palm sells an unbranded GSM on their website.
    This is exactly what I was trying to say.

As for leaving Sprint for T-Mobile...what makes you so sure that these friends will remain on T-Mobile? What guarentee do you have that these people on T-mobile will continue to be your primary calls?
    I guess there are no guarantees. All I know is that I am getting killed with overages charges because the people I talk to most have recently switched to T-mobile. I am leaning on staying with Sprint and getting a higher minute plan, but it's nice to not worry about social calls when you have mobile to mobile which gives you plenty of minutes for your business calls which I have a considerable amount of too.

If you want to switch to T-Mobile, get the promotional phone when you sign up for service. Then when you get your unlocked Treo, swap in the sim card from the promo phone. You are done! And you have a backup phone as well.
    So, all I have to do is get a promo phone or pay $20 bucks for a sim card that I can drop into the Treo? This sounds simple enough. I guess I really need to way the pros and cons of staying with Sprint vs. switching to T-mobile. Also, I've heard that data speeds are much slower with T-mobile compared to Sprint.

Thanks for your responses!
    Quote Originally Posted by daygo718
    So, all I have to do is get a promo phone or pay $20 bucks for a sim card that I can drop into the Treo? This sounds simple enough. I guess I really need to way the pros and cons of staying with Sprint vs. switching to T-mobile.
    Here's what you can do: Buy an unlocked Treo 650, then go to any T-Mobile store and tell them you want to sign up for a cell phone plan. Tell them you don't want a phone, just the plan. After you pay the sign-up fee, they will give you a SIM card that you can pop into your unlocked phone and start using right away.

This is exactly what I did when the Treo 180 came out.

If you ever want to upgrade to another phone (say, the Treo 700?), all you have to do is take out the SIM card and pop it in your new phone.
    Your promo phone will come with a sim card in it. Then just swap 'em. Or if you just want the sim and not the backup phone, you can get a just the sim card.

I say it doesn't hurt to have a backup phone, so I'd get the promo.
    u are going to have to sign up for a plan/contract. if u buy a prepay sim card for 20 Bucks, u will have no gprs and no voice plans. with expensive per minute charges. plus. why don't u just do a switch to tmo and keep your same number? will save u lots of headaches
    ^ That's what I'm sayin
    NOT TRUE.

I just bought a Treo 650, signed up with T-Mobile (moved from Cingular, a seriously horror story that I've posted on CNet, and I'll share with you all in one of the forums that it is appropriate for), but this worked fine when I had my Treo 600, and it was AT&T, and I put my Cingular chip in, and bam! Worked w/o incident.

The 650, however, is a different story. I thought it would work right off the bat, but there have been issues.

I put my card in, started up the wireless, tried dialing a number, and it just reboots my phone. The good news is that I successfully called my house phone in between all of these reboots. This is a brand spankin' new phone, so nothing has been done to it, and I'm trying to figure out why id keeps rebooting. I am thinking maybe it is a signal from Tmobile or something, because it doesn't do it until just a few seconds after connecting to tmobile's service.

Anyone know of any workarounds for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I find anything, I'll post back here for those of you in the same boat, or considering.

vje
    Sorry, I didn't mean to put the big, loud caps in there. I meant that more for the guy who is considering doing the same thing I just did, as I am trying to help prevent him from making the same mistake I did, but at the same time, let him know that there's still hope, as I'm not giving up.

I didn't mean to come in here and start being all cocky and what not, as now that I read my post, I can see how it might be perceived as that.

vje
    Quote Originally Posted by bentfam
    I meant that more for the guy who is considering doing the same thing I just did, as I am trying to help prevent him from making the same mistake I did, but at the same time, let him know that there's still hope, as I'm not giving up.
    Relax bud....the post ya responded to was 19 months old....I think he made his decision a long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by bentfam
    I just bought a Treo 650, signed up with T-Mobile (moved from Cingular, ..... this worked fine when I had my Treo 600, and it was AT&T, and I put my Cingular chip in, and bam! Worked w/o incident.

The 650, however, is a different story. I thought it would work right off the bat, but there have been issues.

I put my card in, started up the wireless, tried dialing a number, and it just reboots my phone..... This is a brand spankin' new phone, so nothing has been done to it, and I'm trying to figure out why id keeps rebooting. I am thinking maybe it is a signal from Tmobile or something, because it doesn't do it until just a few seconds after connecting to tmobile's service.
    I am a bit lacking in info. Do you have a Cingular branded 650 or an unlocked 650 w/ no CNG Logo ?. If you have a Cingular branded 650, did you have it unlocked ?

If I was going to use a Cingular branded 650 on another carrier extensively (as opposed to say a 2 week overseas trip) I'd wipe my ROM and load the unlocked ROM version.
    I am intersted in doing this as well - am in the process of getting a Cingular treo 650, then planning to unlock it, and then run it on T-Mobile.

Did anyone get this to work? Or did people try it and give up?

Thanks
    SS
    I've used plenty of unlocked Cingular phones, both Treos and other smart phones, with my T-Mobile service. No problems, the only issue is having to put up with the Cingular-branded logos and splash screens. The trick is getting the phone unlocked in the first place. Most recently I bought the GSM unlocked/unbranded Treo 650 from Palm (paid full price - ugh!) and slotted in my SIM card, no issues at all. Works beautifully.
    Around here (L. A.) a lot of the mom and pop wireless stores sell unlocked Cingular Treo 650s. You get the Cingular logo and splash screen but otherwise it works just like the unlocked/unbranded one. FWIW, $485 brand new at VIP Wireless, 3008 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica. Everything is pristine in the box. The box is opened just so they could take out the Treo and unlock it.

Shopper's alert! Take your T-Mo phone with you. Slide out that little SIM card. Stick it into the allegedly unlocked Cingular Treo 650.

Turn on the power. What happens? Do you get the happy sound? Make a call. Have someone call you back on your phone number. That's how you know whether it is REALLY an unlocked Treo.

This is from first-hand experience. "Sure, buddy, come on down. We got one of them there Treo thingees fer ya!" I get there, try that little exercise. OOOPS. Phone won't work with a T-Mo SIM. Still locked to Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandstones
    I am intersted in doing this as well - am in the process of getting a Cingular treo 650, then planning to unlock it, and then run it on T-Mobile.

Did anyone get this to work? Or did people try it and give up?

Thanks
    SS
    Yup. I've done this for a couple of friends of mine. I happen to have an unlocked Treo 650 for sale if you want. Just pop in your SIM and you're good to go! PM me if you're interested.