Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    This is from our corporate Sprint reps who have used the 650.

Yes, it has bluetooth. They will not disable data profiles but will sell a tethering plan for $45 for people that want to hook their laptops into the Treo to browse.

No, EV-DO will not be on this device.

No built in wifi.

Early November is the timeline they were suggesting.

That's really all that I have that was in question. I'm hoping to get to play with one soon
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    No EV-DO, no 650 for me. I still love my original 600 (almost one year now).
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    What is EV-DO? What does the tethering plan include?
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    EV-DO is the next generation of CDMA which runs data at 2.4M down and 144k up. The tethering plan is unlimited data for people that want to use laptops with their bluetooth.

Keep in mind that EV-DO won't have a nation wide rollout anytime soon. While it will be available in many major cities by the end of '05. They are only rolling it out where there is a demand of data services. Sprint isn't rolling it out across the whole network in the next year from what I understood.
    Kash76

Would a tethering plan allow me to use the internet connection at my home on the Treo 650? I realize why Sprint would charge if I'm using their data connection on my laptop, but it should be free for me to use my ISP's on the Treo through BT. Please tell me this will be supported at no additional cost.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I didn't ask that but I don't see why they would care or charge you if you can configure your Treo to do that.
    Kash76

Is that $45 per month?
    Last edited by jwardneosoft; 09/29/2004 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76
    I didn't ask that but I don't see why they would care or charge you if you can configure your Treo to do that.
    I don't see why they would care either, but I don't know enough about BT to know if BT profiles can be limited to allow the receiving of a net connection to the Treo from another source, and not allow the sending of a net connection to another source. I was under the impression that BT profiles would have something like "net connection capable" or not. I'm a BT newbie though.
    The profile for doing Hotsync and the profile for doing internet connections through the Treo are the same. If Sprint is limiting it, it is by simply not automatically placing the Treo in "Tethered" mode during incomming connections.

That being said, it wont take long for a product like PDANet or WirelessModem to be altered (if alteration is even needed) to get Bluetooth running. I highly doubt that Sprint has bonded the Bluetooth library to the Hotsync program directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I don't see why they would care either, but I don't know enough about BT to know if BT profiles can be limited to allow the receiving of a net connection to the Treo from another source, and not allow the sending of a net connection to another source. I was under the impression that BT profiles would have something like "net connection capable" or not. I'm a BT newbie though.
    You can do this with other PLMO handhelds that support BT, so it follows that using the same BT stack, the profiles will be there. If there is a way for Sprint to block this, then there will be a way to overcome that.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    As I said in the first thread, "They will not disable data profiles".
    Kash76

Does the T650 have Ready Link?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Sorry, old thread, but there is a lot of wrong information floating around here that needs to be clarified.

bmac, if you dial your ISP through the bluetooth connection you will be charged an additional $0.39/minute. The connection needs to be routed as circuit switched data - hence the additional charge. Furthermore, I don't think new Vision phones will even allow this type of usage. You would need an old 2G phone and the Wireless Web option. However, with the tethering plan, you would be able to use the connection on your home computer with no additional charge (other than the $45 )

Druce, there are distinct profiles. DUN is necessary for tethering. Hotsync works through OBEX. Both DUN and OBEX utilize the serial profile.

EDIT: Chip, no, it will not have RL.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chip2333
    Does the T650 have Ready Link?
    They never mentioned it so I'm guessing no.
    Kash76

Will the SDIO drive WiFi?!?!?! (i.e. has PLMO written a driver and is there sufficient power to the card?)
    Also, what new functionality does Athena (the new connector tech) offer? Any idea? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    That being said, it wont take long for a product like PDANet or WirelessModem to be altered (if alteration is even needed) to get Bluetooth running. I highly doubt that Sprint has bonded the Bluetooth library to the Hotsync program directly.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $WirelessModem$ $doesn$'$t$ $need$ $any$ $altering$ $and$ $should$ $already$ $support$ $BT$ $tethering$ $OOTB$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    Will the SDIO drive WiFi?!?!?! (i.e. has PLMO written a driver and is there sufficient power to the card?)
    Infomation here is sketchy. It's been stated elsewhere a few times that the Treo 650/Ace will not support the SD wifi card, but it's also been mentioned that the Treo 650 may be able to power the card with the wireless radio turned off...who knows. In any case, PalmOne would have to release the divers to work in the first place which is another unknown...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Yes, unknown to the guys that I was talking to also.
    Kash76

No EV-DO (perhaps no wifi) makes the case of moving from a 600 to 650 less compelling.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast