Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No difference to me. By the time EV-DO becomes available widespread, I'll be on a Cobalt based Treo, with WiFi and EV-DO support, and a built-in beer dispenser.
  2. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Pls clarify the tethering issue for me - in simple terms ;-) Today I used PDANet..
    1) If I am accessing email via my PC-to-Treo connection does Sprint "know" this?
    2) If they do not know this today, how would they change things (in the architecture) that would prohibt me from using PDANet today.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    No EV-DO (perhaps no wifi) makes the case of moving from a 600 to 650 less compelling.
    Unless of course you're a GSM Treo 600 user of course b/c Edge will probably be very compelling!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg
    Pls clarify the tethering issue for me - in simple terms ;-) Today I used PDANet..
    1) If I am accessing email via my PC-to-Treo connection does Sprint "know" this?
    2) If they do not know this today, how would they change things (in the architecture) that would prohibt me from using PDANet today.
    1) It uncertain, but probably yes. However they don't seem to enforce their TOS unless you are an aggregious abuser of bandwidth. The going rumor is that the put a flag on your account if you exceed 1 GB /month...

2) I doubt they would change anything to stop use of the Treo as modem via cable. The point of the discussion here is the ability to use bluetooth to connect the Treo to pc while using as a modem. In that case, Sprint may indeed have omitted the BT profile to allow this...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Not familiar with BT, but could someone write a program that accomplishes the same as PDANet but via Bluetooth?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i'd say this is VERY disappointing as a lot of us who have been reading other boards had information that the treo was going to be EV-DO... EDGE has theoretical max of 235kbps (current Sprint max is around 144)... so now i'm set with what looks to be a device with only 32mb RAM nice screen decent camera same old PalmOS (can't complain with PalmOS) bluetooth no WIFi but no EVDO. even if the gsm has EDGE who knows if it will be rolled out in my area anytime soon. guess i'll wait to hear about the PPC daxian/6600which is suppose to be released later this month
    btw for those sprint customers - dont bother calling sprint today asking about the 650.. they will tell you their new updated information (current as of 9/30) is the treo will be in early december :~~~( which means the gsm version might come sooner... who knows if this information will change or not but they have the ppc 6600 listed as late oct
    that evdo would have been what settled it for me... crap memory! crap evdo!
    So when you said
    They will not disable data profiles but will sell a tethering plan for $45 for people that want to hook their laptops into the Treo to browse.
    will it still be possible to use our treos as a modem without paying $45? That is, if we don't incur the wrath of Sprint and they cancel our vision plan?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    I've said it before, but there is no way you'll see EVDO or Edge on this Treo. Remember the specs on this thing were set in stone months and months ago. Remember the 600 had a standard res screen even after every single palm producer had a high res version out (Sony didn't make any standard res, and Palm only had the zires). That is the price you pay for convergence: a one generation lag in the components that make up the device.
    you could be right
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    From my experience of bluetooth:

1) It's so slow, that I doubt it would be useful for browsing via a computer
    2) The range is so short (Less than 10 feet, provided no walls in the way) that it would be simpler to use the computer you are connecting to

Wifi would be a FAR more suitable means of doing this.

When I had a T68i I had to put it on my desk next to my computer to sync, which is barely more convenient than pluggin it in.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    From my experience of bluetooth:

1) It's so slow, that I doubt it would be useful for browsing via a computer
    2) The range is so short (Less than 10 feet, provided no walls in the way) that it would be simpler to use the computer you are connecting to

Wifi would be a FAR more suitable means of doing this.

When I had a T68i I had to put it on my desk next to my computer to sync, which is barely more convenient than pluggin it in.
    1) BT is not meant for a wifi replacement
    2) BT is meant to be a PAN (personal area network)
    3) you don't have to carry cables to connect to anything BT.

I can't wait!
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    I will certainly look forward to having a bluetooth device again after an annoyingly long year without it (I think if I'd known that there wasn't going to be a bluetooth add-on for the treo I almost certainly wouldn't have bought it). Having said that I really want wifi too, and using a handheld to browse the internet is not what bluetooth was designed for. USB is very slow, yet syncing via USB goes at lightspeed compared to bluetooth. I think bluetooth is great for wireless headsets and car kits etc but the range is so short and the speed so slow, some things are better suited to wifi (hence why I want both). I wasn't suggesting BT was a replacement for wifi - although I could easily be wrong about this, I thought BT had been around slightly loner than wifi. If anything, wifi could replace BT! More likely they will continue to run side by side, just like my Mac uses USB for keyboard/mouse etc and Firewire for hard drives. Horses for courses.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Agreed. I want both also!!
    Kash76

so now i'm set with what looks to be a device with only 32mb RAM nice screen decent camera same old PalmOS (can't complain with PalmOS) bluetooth no WIFi but no EVDO.
    That's because Palm knows that one year later...when they launch a Treo 700 with 256 MB RAM, Garnet, EVDO and WiFi...you will fork out another $700 and buy that one to!

That's the tech game. Give em just enought features to make em buy...but not enough so they don't upgrage within 2 years...it's a vicious cycle really.
    planned obselence works for generating revenue
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76
    EV-DO is the next generation of CDMA which runs data at 2.4M down and 144k up.
    Keep in mind that EV-DO won't have a nation wide rollout anytime soon. While it will be available in many major cities by the end of '05. They are only rolling it out where there is a demand of data services. Sprint isn't rolling it out across the whole network in the next year from what I understood.
    I dont think EVDO will be much faster than 300-500K. Still much better than we currently have. I think the speeds you quote are for EVDV. In simple terms with EVDO the data channel is separate from the voice. With EVDV, the voice and data run on the same network.

Has Sprint delayed their EVDO rollout? Last I have read is that major markets would be up by the end of 2004 with the rest of the country by mid 2005 VZW has about 20 markets up now, and I am seriouly thinking of moving my data to VZW. (Im am also considering moving my voice to Cingular). I dont think from a marketing standpoint Sprint can afford to let Verizon clean their clock in high speed data. If Sprint does not have a solution until the end of 2005, they will lose a lot of their business data customers.
    Carl
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I need to double check the data rates tomorrow when I get back to the office. As for the rollout they suggested they wouldn't have many if any markets available by the end of the year and they don't see rolling out over the whole network anytime soon (1-2 years), only in cities that they can make money selling the faster services.
    Kash76

Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Yep, 2.4Mbps down. As usual I'm sure this is an 'up to 2.4'.

EV-DO 2nd release will be 3.1down and 1.8up!!!
    Kash76

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12