1.    #1  
    Are any carriers currently using bluetooth for more than headset usage?
    Yeah... T-Mobile w/ Nokia 3650. My Laptop can surf the net via bluetooth using my phone.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    I got my T608 (SonyEricsson POS for Sprint) to work as a BT modem for my Tablet PC and my Palm T3. Works fine, but the T608's battery life in this mode is like 20 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Are any carriers currently using bluetooth for more than headset usage?
    And while we're at it?
    Anyone using the Jabra Bluetooth with adapter on thier Treo 600?
    Sorry for the semi-Hijack TripX!)
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    I would think that Sprint, at least, would HAVE to disable BT as a modem or else get rid of the cheap unlimited data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    I would think that Sprint, at least, would HAVE to disable BT as a modem or else get rid of the cheap unlimited data plan.

Why? Would it really be that costly for them?

I doubt it. Bottom line is they want to sell those PC connection cards, and change for connectity that way, essentially double billing you for a single service.

Steams my dumplings, because originally Sprint proclaimed and supported PC connecting to the net via Sprint phones. Then they're saying, "oh...we didn't mean that..."
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Steams my dumplings, because originally Sprint proclaimed and supported PC connecting to the net via Sprint phones. Then they're saying, "oh...we didn't mean that..."
    yeah, I remeber back when they sold the kits for hooking up phones. Bought one myself for the LG phone I owned prior to my treo
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Why? Would it really be that costly for them?

I doubt it. Bottom line is they want to sell those PC connection cards, and change for connectity that way, essentially double billing you for a single service.

The network just can't handle it yet.. they have to be prepared for EVERYONE getting a bluetooth modem and trying to log on.. it would be a disaster, no one would be able to get on.. as of now. Once the higher bandwidth service starts coming through then things may be different.
  9.    #9  
    Dumb question but how do you use your treo as a modem for your laptops?
    I use my BT enabled phone on Verizon (Timeport 270c) and my Palm m515 (with BT card) to surf the web. I also can hotsync via BT (though I honestly rarely do...it is just faster and easier to hit the sync button on the cradle...but I COULD). I also can surf the web on my BT laptop using my phone. I also use a BT headset with my phone (though the battery life on the headset is REALLY poor and the sound is quite low in volume...so I don't use it religiously....but again I COULD!). I occasionally hook up with other BT devices of friends to "play" (only because I CAN). Thats how I use BT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Dumb question but how do you use your treo as a modem for your laptops?
    You can use your USB data cable and a program called PDANet to hook up the laptop to the internet. PDANet can be found at Junefabrics.com for $34.99. I use it to conect at 145kps.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone