Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    I filed down my SD card so it doesn't protrude from the top of the treo 600. Does anyone know if we are going to do this with the 650? Hopefully the slot is slightly longer so we don't have to worry about this.

Mark

Earn a free ipod by clicking here!!!
    I've heard complaints about this in the past. But my question is this: If the card doesn't protrude from the top at all, how can you push it down to eject it?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I've heard complaints about this in the past. But my question is this: If the card doesn't protrude from the top at all, how can you push it down to eject it?
    Answer: stylus tip. Yes, it is more difficult than just pushing down with your finger, but that's the point. Plus, in my case, I almost never pop the memory card out anyway. I guess if you were continuously popping out the card, it might be annoying to have to use the stylus.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    fingernail, thumb is good 'cause its thick and strong
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    On the 25th. Neither PalmOne or Sprint plans to send us the phone in advance (they are concerned about further leaks in general). However, Michael and myself will be on location in San Francisco for the official annoucement, and we will get a unit for a couple of hours for a hands-on review time published in the afternoon.
    We've exchanged comments in the forums in the past about my thoughts about NDAs and all (summary: I think they're a bad thing by and large), but if this thing is going to become official on the 25th and the best palmOne is going to do is give you two hours to play with it that's just pathetic. Treocentral is the premiere Treo web site. It's been around for a long, long time now and you deserve much better treatment than that. Ridiculous.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    We've exchanged comments in the forums in the past about my thoughts about NDAs and all (summary: I think they're a bad thing by and large), but if this thing is going to become official on the 25th and the best palmOne is going to do is give you two hours to play with it that's just pathetic. Treocentral is the premiere Treo web site. It's been around for a long, long time now and you deserve much better treatment than that. Ridiculous.

Scott
    hopefully it makes it out by the 25th. this is worse than the wait for the V600?!?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    yeah, but the V600 sucked and the clamshell broke
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Yeah, good luck with that. I'm sure that's number one on PalmOne's list of priorities for the Treo 650, as there's a such a huge market for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, but I just strongly doubt we will. If standard tethering is even a question (considering the carriers could be making serious money by officially offering and supporting that) do you seriously think they would offer "reverse tethering," which would only serve to minimize the amount of time their customers were consuming costly airtime minutes?

You're better off hoping for a compatible WiFi SD card... maybe a Treo 650 driver for this:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7053
    (Although considering how many years we've been waiting to that card, I wouldn't hold my breath.)

Or more appropriately, get a better laptop. Or a Tablet PC if you get such a a woody for the stylus.

I take it back. I take it all back. I get it now. I am doing reverse-DUN from my Mac, using it's cable modem connection to get my Treo 650 on the net by Bluetooth, almost 1000 feet away:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...216#post488216

Damn cool indeed!
    Why would you want to do that? You can get an ISP for 9.95 per month, at better speeds! I still cannot understand why people want to do WiFi with a Treo, why you'd want to use it as a modem from home--on your Mac, which is supposed to be so powerful--is beyond me! I'd just like them to supply a cradle. Until they do, I'm staying with my 600 which seems to do everything else fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    Why would you want to do that? You can get an ISP for 9.95 per month, at better speeds! I still cannot understand why people want to do WiFi with a Treo, why you'd want to use it as a modem from home--on your Mac, which is supposed to be so powerful--is beyond me! I'd just like them to supply a cradle. Until they do, I'm staying with my 600 which seems to do everything else fine.
    i guess the savings of the $9.95---?
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    It could add up.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    You. Are. Just. Not. Getting. It.

You are stuck in an old paradigm, and apparently are having a hard time thinking outside the box. A dial-up ISP for $9.95 has nothing, absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

Read my post again. I have a cable modem. I am using my Mac's Bluetooth to get my TREO on the same broadband connection.

From the sounds of your comment though, it sounds like you are wondering about the merits of standard DUN (dial-up-networking.) I'll grant you that in having dial-up on a laptop is a faster way to get on the net, generally speaking. HOWEVER, that does require a phone line. The majority of folks who are happy about this "DUN" feature are travellers. These are folks who take their laptops to cafés or foreign cities or airports, and Wi-Fi (unfortunately) isn't ubiquitous. So therefore, with my Treo 650 in my pocket, I can tether to it's cell connection wirelessly and use it to get my laptop on the net, anywhere! I can surf the web, send some documents via email, get caught up with some work correspondence, etc. Granted I wouldn't want to use it full time and certainly don't see it as a money-saver (the cost of the Treo 650 alone more than makes up for that) but it is a wonderful convenience and very cool to see in action. The folks that use Sprint's "unlimited" Vision to get their "real" computers online full-time are just misdirected, that's all.

Now, the point of my post that you were responding to had little to do with DUN. I was talking about the wonders of "REVERSE DUN" -- a connection protocol I'd initially scoffed at too. What is Reverse DUN, you ask? It allows me to take my broadband internet connection at home, and "broadcast" it to my Treo 650 via Bluetooth. In my house, Bluetooth is strong. We're talking a freakish 1000 feet!

What this means is, I can switch my Treo 650's standard Internet connection protocol from Sprint to Bluetooth, and get BLAZING fast speeds for web browsing, checking email, even streaming online radio... all from my backyard. On the teeny-tiny Treo. And I'm not using any Sprint resources or minutes, it's like my own personal Wi-Fi network, over Bluetooth. The time will come when Skype or some other Voice-over-IP company will release an audio-conferencing app for the Palm platform. When that day comes, we'll be able to make our phone calls over the internet, avoiding the charges for cell phone minutes.

Starting to get it now?

To be honest, it sounds to me like you're trying to rationalize why the Treo 650 isn't worth it to you. It's easier to do so when you don't have the cash to upgrade, or you don't understand the ramifications of Bluetooth, DUN, or Reverse DUN.

Until you do understand the ramifications though, maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself. Or have an open mind, and learn some more!

Sorry to have taken you to school. But when someone's excited about something, it's uncouth to try and pooh-pooh that enthusiasm, especially when you don't know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/08/2004 at 07:45 PM.
    here, here!
    I think I understand all that honestly. I use my Treo for an internet connection on my laptop at my summer house where there is no power except solar and no telephone service so I understand that quite well and I've been doing it for going on five years now since my first I300. What I don't understand is why you'd want to use your Treo when you have your computer available. You almost convinced me with the backyard bit but when you talk about travelling (which is when I use my laptop at my summer house) you're already positing that you might use your laptop, so why not use the laptop in your backyard and have all the advantages that it has over the Treo which is, let's face it, puny in comparison. No need to get upset about this, it's just an objective observation. And there's no need to be quite so...passionate...about this. It's important that Palm and its competitors understand that we want performance, not toys, and whoever gives us better quality without defects will make the profit. That's how businesses, not schools, work.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Sounds like a bit of backpedaling to me.

When I am relaxing in my hammock, getting some sun, the last thing I want to do is crack open a laptop just to check email. Having high speed access on my Treo is super convenient and it works better too.

You've got to see a Treo 650 on broadband to fully appreciate it; it's like an entirely different machine. Streaming online radio is suddenly a no-brainer; music starts immediately and there's no stuttering, even at the highest bitrate. I'm testing an audio chat application now - this will essentially allow me to make unlimited phone calls at no additional cost and without using cell minutes. Does that sound interesting to you?

Indeed, I like when I can leverage technologies, as the combination is often greater than the sum of the parts. It's nice that my broadband gets more use now, on even more devices. In this instance, "reverse DUN" works just as well as wi-fi -- and it makes the 650 an even better product.

As as far as my "passion," don't forget that it's users like me that drive innovation. It's early adopters like me that push the companies to come out with the features that most users don't even understand, or label as "toys" today ... but can't live without 5 years from now.
    It's not only early adopters that drive innovation. Informed consumers also drive innovation by passing up hype, and perhaps moreso. I don't know why, relaxing in a hammock, cracking open a laptop (mine is 2 lbs and I use it all day) is any more disruptive than fiddling with the Treo. Of all the advantages you've cited, the audio and email seem least convincing. I'm not sure listening to streaming video over a Treo relaxing on a hammock is any better than using a laptop for that purpose and having the phone more fully available but I wouldn't use the laptop either; the whole scenario sounds like something marketed by Palm1 to me. As to email, I certainly agree that email over the Treo is unbelievably powerful, but I honestly don't notice even a microsecond of difference between what I get on my T600 using Chatter email and my laptop on high-speed DSL. I have them both in front of me and I often get the message on my Treo before it appears on my laptop, using the push IMAP server, so broadband really wouldn't change the email advantage to me. I'm sorry, if that's backpedalling perhaps you're looking in the wrong direction. Remember, it's people like me who insist on better technology that drive innovation.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Okay mdavis, enough with the product-name-dropping, you've convinced me that do, in fact, get it ... if only a tiny bit.

We have diverged a bit from your original complaint though - you'd wondered why folks would want DUN in the first place. Then you admitted that you've used similar technologies for your summer house out in the boonies (?) Okay, well imagine if you could have done that without the USB cable. Just a teeny-tiny bit cooler, huh?

You also said you're not upgrading until Palm supplies a 650 cradle (?) and when scoffing at the notion of "reverse DUN" you ask, "why not just use your laptop?"

The point is, the world doesn't revolve around you and the products you own and the your own personal peculiarities. It's a big world out there. Some folks don't have a laptop or don't care to use one. In fact, with the increasing power of the Treo, it's starting to look like some users might not even need one. Not everything needs to be pooh-poohed.

I'm admittedly a gadget hound and have them all. And for me, it's all about choice. I understand that everyone has different needs and I appreciate products that can be many things to many people. And I enjoy seeing convergence, and intelligent implementation of standard technologies.

You may pin your disenchantment with the 650 on the lack of a cradle if that makes sense to you. (You do realize one is coming out, with a second battery bay, right? Or are you waiting for one to be bundled free?) But to scoff at other features, that may excite a current owner, doesn't really make much sense to me at all.

Rest assured when you finally break down and get the 650, you'll use reverse DUN. And you'll get a kick out of it.

Oh, and if you're not quite grokking the idea of VOIP, then just give it time, you'll hear more about it soon enough. Personally I'd rather make my free phone calls from a smartphone and not from a laptop (no matter how few pounds it weighs.)
    You. Are. Just. Not. Getting. It.

You are stuck in an old paradigm, and apparently are having a hard time thinking outside the box. A dial-up ISP for $9.95 has nothing, absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

Read my post again. I have a cable modem. I am using my Mac's Bluetooth to get my TREO on the same broadband connection.

From the sounds of your comment though, it sounds like you are wondering about the merits of standard DUN (dial-up-networking.) I'll grant you that in having dial-up on a laptop is a faster way to get on the net, generally speaking. HOWEVER, that does require a phone line. The majority of folks who are happy about this "DUN" feature are travellers. These are folks who take their laptops to cafés or foreign cities or airports, and Wi-Fi (unfortunately) isn't ubiquitous. So therefore, with my Treo 650 in my pocket, I can tether to it's cell connection wirelessly and use it to get my laptop on the net, anywhere! I can surf the web, send some documents via email, get caught up with some work correspondence, etc. Granted I wouldn't want to use it full time and certainly don't see it as a money-saver (the cost of the Treo 650 alone more than makes up for that) but it is a wonderful convenience and very cool to see in action. The folks that use Sprint's "unlimited" Vision to get their "real" computers online full-time are just misdirected, that's all.

Now, the point of my post that you were responding to had little to do with DUN. I was talking about the wonders of "REVERSE DUN" -- a connection protocol I'd initially scoffed at too. What is Reverse DUN, you ask? It allows me to take my broadband internet connection at home, and "broadcast" it to my Treo 650 via Bluetooth. In my house, Bluetooth is strong. We're talking a freakish 1000 feet!

What this means is, I can switch my Treo 650's standard Internet connection protocol from Sprint to Bluetooth, and get BLAZING fast speeds for web browsing, checking email, even streaming online radio... all from my backyard. On the teeny-tiny Treo. And I'm not using any Sprint resources or minutes, it's like my own personal Wi-Fi network, over Bluetooth. The time will come when Skype or some other Voice-over-IP company will release an audio-conferencing app for the Palm platform. When that day comes, we'll be able to make our phone calls over the internet, avoiding the charges for cell phone minutes.

Starting to get it now?

To be honest, it sounds to me like you're trying to rationalize why the Treo 650 isn't worth it to you. It's easier to do so when you don't have the cash to upgrade, or you don't understand the ramifications of Bluetooth, DUN, or Reverse DUN.

Until you do understand the ramifications though, maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself. Or have an open mind, and learn some more!

Sorry to have taken you to school. But when someone's excited about something, it's uncouth to try and pooh-pooh that enthusiasm, especially when you don't know what you're talking about.
    so do you surf the web on your 650 via bluetooth? or surf the web on your laptop via the the 650 as a connection with bluetooth for your dsl?
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    so do you surf the web on your 650 via bluetooth? or surf the web on your laptop via the the 650 as a connection with bluetooth for your dsl?
    Any and all of the above. I guess it depends on the circumstances and what resources are available to me at the time.

If I'm traveling and have no wi-fi access (or don't want to pay exorbitant surcharges for wi-fi, or have to sign up for a dial-up ISP and pay exorbitant hotel charges for local calls) then I'll use my Treo 650 and the DUN feature to get my laptop on the net.

If I'm in my backyard and want fast access for something simple on the net, I'll use the reverse DUN feature to connect my Treo 650 to broadband by way of my broadband-enabled Mac.

If I'm in an office building that doesn't get great cell reception I suppose reverse DUN would come in handy too, as it essentially provided my Treo with the data pipe it would need for access.

The point is, there is now tons of flexibility at my fingertips, and I'm happy it all works as seamlessly as it does.
    Any and all of the above. I guess it depends on the circumstances and what resources are available to me at the time.

If I'm traveling and have no wi-fi access (or don't want to pay exorbitant surcharges for wi-fi, or have to sign up for a dial-up ISP and pay exorbitant hotel charges for local calls) then I'll use my Treo 650 and the DUN feature to get my laptop on the net.

If I'm in my backyard and want fast access for something simple on the net, I'll use the reverse DUN feature to connect my Treo 650 to broadband by way of my broadband-enabled Mac.

If I'm in an office building that doesn't get great cell reception I suppose reverse DUN would come in handy too, as it essentially provided my Treo with the data pipe it would need for access.

The point is, there is now tons of flexibility at my fingertips, and I'm happy it all works as seamlessly as it does.
    it just seems more and more that the 650 is a better choice than the siemens sx 66!
    Naveen

Next Phone:
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617