Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    The Palm Info screen (aside from showing that PalmOne is shafting us on memory), is that the file "ADPCMCodec" is in ROM. This is an audio codec, which would be highly unusual. Why use this? One thing, which is highly speculative, is that this audio codec is most commonly used for replaying Macromedia Flash (I.E. .swf) files. Is it possible that the Treo is gaining Flash compatibility?
    After a bit of googling, I found:

Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation (ADPCM) codecs are waveform codecs which instead of quantizing the speech signal directly, like PCM codecs, quantize the difference between the speech signal and a prediction that has been made of the speech signal. If the prediction is accurate then the difference between the real and predicted speech samples will have a lower variance than the real speech samples, and will be accurately quantized with fewer bits than would be needed to quantize the original speech samples. At the decoder the quantized difference signal is added to the predicted signal to give the reconstructed speech signal. The performance of the codec is aided by using adaptive prediction and quantization, so that the predictor and difference quantizer adapt to the changing characteristices of the speech being coded.
    CAN YOU SAY INTEGRATED VOICE COMMAND/DIALING?!!!!!!!!!!!

Could it finally be?! That would be glorious if this was added to the Ace!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/01/2004 at 03:21 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Here's my prediction on Bluetooth support in the 650: it will support the serial profile (required for GPS and other devices), but not the modem profile (required for OOTB laptop internet connectivity via Vision). I think the P1 website mention of the 650 supporting their BT GPS is a strong indicator the 650 will definately support a generic serial profile required for that. You will be able to get your laptop to connect via Vision, but only via a shim kind of arrangement like PDANet, with a little software on the laptop side and a little software on the Treo side to manage the connection over the Bluetooth serial link.

This way, novice users won't be able to use their Treo 650's as modems (flooding Sprint's Vision network) since it won't work OOTB, but expert users (e.g. the readers of this group ) will be able to do it, although they will technically be in breach of their TOS. Sprint will turn a blind eye towards this use, knowing it sells more Vision, unless someone is a flagrant violator, just like they do today with PDANet. All of Sprint's media communications will say you can not use your 650 as a modem (like they say about the 600), and thus all news bulletins about the 650 will say the same thing, as well as simplistic magazine reviews. Us power users will know better!

What is the likelihood of this scenario??
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    It will support tethering through your laptop for data. This has been confirmed by our corporate rep. The data plan to do this will be $45 a month.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I would throw another variation into the mix. If you buy the (rumored) $45/month tethered Treo service, they will update your firmware to allow the modem profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I would throw another variation into the mix. If you buy the (rumored) $45/month tethered Treo service, they will update your firmware to allow the modem profile.
    That would be sweet. I could see that getting posted on the net in about a week.
    Would that $45 be in addition to what you currently pay for Vision? This doesn't make sense to me because the data cards are $80/month for 300 minutes on regular accounts and unlimited to biz accounts. Why would they charge less for a device that will 1) use a lot of data on its own and 2) use a lot of data in combination with a laptop?
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    When I was talking to the rep he said that they will continue watching for people that lots of data. They only can flag us if we use tons of data.

Without saying it directly he suggested that if I continue to use the data w/laptop lightly I'll be fine.
    Kash76

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    Would that $45 be in addition to what you currently pay for Vision? This doesn't make sense to me because the data cards are $80/month for 300 minutes on regular accounts and unlimited to biz accounts. Why would they charge less for a device that will 1) use a lot of data on its own and 2) use a lot of data in combination with a laptop?
    Well, the rumor mill was not specific on that point, but I'm sure the idea is that $45 covers Vision + modem.
    Ah, sprint made TC take down the pics.

But from what I saw there is only 32 megs of ram not 64.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76
    Without saying it directly he suggested that if I continue to use the data w/laptop lightly I'll be fine.
    Pretty much what I figured. I guess $45 for Sprint is better than $10/$15 Vision subscribers who use their phones as modems anyways
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Well, the rumor mill was not specific on that point, but I'm sure the idea is that $45 covers Vision + modem.
    I didn't ask that but I'm guessing it would cover both.
    Kash76

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Errr -- sorry Kash, I've been calling you "rumor mill" in this thread.
    I didn't get to see the pics
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I knew I should've copied them when I had the chance.. heh...
    Someone posted a link to a website somewhere that had side-by-side comparisons and stuff.. I'm too lazy to go find it, but maybe those are still up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey
    I didn't get to see the pics
    Here:

http://mytreo.net/news/archives/000158.php
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoCentral
    Admin: The images have been removed, 6000 views later, upon request by Sprint.
    Think it's about time TreoCentral put a disclaimer as prominently displayed as that sentence down there at the very bottom of the page noting that they are shills for Sprint and PalmOne?
    Will there be a cameraless version available?
    By the end of the month you will see plenty in-depth coverage of the Sprint Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Errr -- sorry Kash, I've been calling you "rumor mill" in this thread.
    Not a problem.
    Kash76

Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    By the end of the month you will see plenty in-depth coverage of the Sprint Treo 650.
    That would be after October 25th? By then we've all seen everything, Marcus. Still, I'm green of envy because you have a preview model and we don't

Anyway, posted a photo comparison based on the 600 and the two leaked sets of GSM and Sprint 650.