Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
    Wow, I missed surfing yesterday and had to catch up on 12 pages of posts and like 30 pictures. A two day rant. :-)

What about voice dialing?

I'm surprised no one has photoshopped a picture of the bottom of their 600 over the 650 to figure out what size headphone jack that is.

Isn't that stylus the same as the 600's? Maybe I missed that picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Here is a general question for some of you - since many in here seem to be much more in the know than I - is there a cell phone signal booster that really works? I live at the beach and the signal from ATT is terrible here - so mush so that I ordered a new phone/acct with Cingular just to see if their service is any better! I am an attorney and in need of a REAL WORKING PHONE!!!!!! I plan to get a 650 when they come out, but I need to get a good phone signal - any ideas???
    We have beach property in SC and spend quite a bit of time there. I think it really comes down to the number of towers in your area. Most phone providers have area coverage maps that gives you an idea. We have Sprint.

Question, is your place in a dip? Our home is and I cannot use the phone downstairs unless I'm in the doorway but it works fine upstairs.

Good luck to you!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cahsdad
    Sorry, camera problems and several fires at work. I know certain specs but NDA precludes me from talking about them. Sprint Rep did not mention NDA on the actual phone so here are the pics. MSNBC loaded at least twice as fast as my 600...no measurable test performed. #'s blanked out on pics. I would describe the color as gunmetal blue though not as dark.

Sorry for the out of focus, hopefully you will be able to make out the images. I was having trouble uploading the zip, so I will post several times.
    The only one who should be saying 'sorry' is me for not posting these on the blog earlier!!! You caught me on my way back from Munich at the PalmSource Euro DevCon...

Photos are now posted and I will run a couple of other side-by-sides in the coming days. From the Euro DevCon it was also interesting to learn that there will be many, many more applications (games + others) bundled on the Treo 650 when released...

Also, following the Gold Award to WBO we naturally had to find one for you

Cheers and thanks again, W.
    Last edited by wanderman; 10/01/2004 at 06:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    The only one who should be saying 'sorry' is me for not posting these on the blog earlier!!! You caught me on my way back from Munich at the PalmSource Euro DevCon...

Photos are now posted and I will run a couple of other side-by-sides in the coming days. From the Euro DevCon it was also interesting to learn that there will be many, many more applications (games + others) bundled on the Treo 650 when released...

Also, following the Gold Award to WBO we naturally had to find one for you

Cheers and thanks again, W.
    wanderman, You stated on your site that you weren't sure how the resets would be accomplished. The photo that you have captioned as "Battery with easy removal edge." shows the new reset button. The picture below that allows you to actually read the word Reset (it's upside down in the pic).

Just to help you stay accurate. :-)

Thanks for posting those all in one place.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Well truth be told, I used some creative accounting to brag.

SanDisk 1 GB SD for $70 after a $30 rebate.
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3960168
    (Yep, these things cost $500 when they came out 8 months ago!)

Included for free, however, is a SanDisk Digital Photo Viewer for your TV (normally costs $40.)
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3682672

$100-$30-$40 = $30

Rebate ends today, so act fast!

This 1 GB SD card will turn my current Treo 600 (and my future Treo 650) into a pretty sweet USB drive.
    Good deal!!! I got my order in under the wire yesterday. Thanks for the info bro. My only problem is figuring out what I'm going to do with the 512 MB card I thought I got a great deal on a few months ago for about the same price after rebate and the 256 MB one I got before that for about the same.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Wow!! 63,452 views of this post so far....
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    There have been questions about whether or not the Bluetooth on the Treo 650 would support Bluetooth GPS devices, like the TomTom. One poster called TomTom to ask, their CSR said no, it wouldn't work... but a question was raised here... since the 650 isn't even out yet, the CSR may have been confused and thought he was asking about the current Treo 600 (which, as we all know, doesn't work because it doesn't freakin' have Bluetooth!)

In any case, the best indicator I've seen so far that the Treo 650 WILL support Bluetooth GPS navigation devices was that website gaffe a few weeks back... the page on PalmOne's site selling the TomTom GPS unit listed the Treo 650 as a compatible device! If you recall, this was the first time PalmOne's site had the words "Treo 650" on their site at all, and it sent lots of us "Treoficionados" into quite a tizzy:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/2598506748540363/

The page has since changed, and I'm just hoping that it was changed because that info was prematurely released, as opposed to being factually incorrect. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Fofer; 10/01/2004 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Good deal!!! I got my order in under the wire yesterday. Thanks for the info bro. My only problem is figuring out what I'm going to do with the 512 MB card I thought I got a great deal on a few months ago for about the same price after rebate and the 256 MB one I got before that for about the same.
    I just followed the link and see the card for $99 but didn't see anything about rebates... If they're still available can someone post the link... This is a great price, but I have to say that I have a bit of contempt for SanDisk since my 512 card is a pain... I guess it's slow.... MP3's skip and once in a while I get different errors...
    The rebate deadline was yesterday. But you should check some of the other deals posted in this thread.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    One has to remember that the reason to get a Treo is convergence and anything that requires an extra device for something that is held up by software or policy is unacceptable to me.
    Good point and good post; we're in agreement there. Part of my cynicism comes from similar frustration with all-too-common anti-consumer "policy," as well as my annoyance with folks who look past the exciting advances in the new Treo, and instinctively complain that it "won't work with their current stylus pen" or ask "why can't it do voice recognition?"

I too like convergence (as long as the whole is greater than the sum of the parts!) I also want access to all the features a piece of hardware can support. To this end, I've hacked nearly all of my favorite gadgets to get them to live up to their hardware's true potential (DirecTV with TiVo, Xbox, iPod, Treo, etc.)

It remains to be seen what the Treo 650 will "officially" support both from a hardware perspective as well as from an individual carrier perspective.

Here's hoping that not too many of us are disappointed.
    Is anyone else upset that the hotsync cradle(s) and cable(s) and charger(s) that we purchased for our 600s won't work on the 650?

What about car kits? I assume they won't work either..

*grumble*

heh..

Or am I totally wrong about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by viper0775
    Is anyone else upset that the hotsync cradle(s) and cable(s) and charger(s) that we purchased for our 600s won't work on the 650?

What about car kits? I assume they won't work either..

*grumble*

heh..

Or am I totally wrong about this?
    You are right to gurmble, MAINLY because there is no information of any kind as to why this change, which according to soures includes teh soon to be released Tungsten T5 as well. Why on God's green earth can't they use a plain old USB 2 connection? USB can obviously provide power (we all have USB power/hotsync cables). They natively connect to USB - so WHY do they have to have a custom connector?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I'm upset too, mainly because Palm has gone through 3-4 "Universal" connector changes in the past few years. I have a shoebox filled with defunct connections, cradles, adapters and plugs. It's got to be part of their bottom line profit strategy, I'm sure. Oh well, when I get bored I suppose I can eBay most of it...

That said, I'm still not going to let $100 worth of accessories steer me away from the 650. They have me (us?) by the balls and they know it.
    How come I was the first to mention this? =)
    And yeah, they've got us by the balls.. so does Nokia, though I did manage to stick with Nokia phones that used the same connectors (at least they didn't ever change their charge connector, just headphone/sync/car) (I loved my 7190 till I got my treo)
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper0775
    How come I was the first to mention this? =)
    Not exactly, I've seen it mentioned nearly everywhere and no one is "happy" about it. We've come to expect it by now, I suppose. (If it were to be compatible with older cables I'd consider that a nice surprise, actually.)

My Treo 180 and 270 and 600 shared the same USB HotSync and power cable (which was nice) but not the same dock (which wasn't.) Even though they looked identical (and fit) there were two versions of the Auto adapter for these models too.

If the new model (of whatever product) is slimmer or the new connection is more reliable or the larger battery capacity requires a more powerful charger then I suppose it's worth it.

Trying to look at the bright side here.
    In any case, the best indicator I've seen so far that the Treo 650 WILL support Bluetooth GPS navigation devices was that website gaffe a few weeks back... the page on PalmOne's site selling the TomTom GPS unit listed the Treo 650 as a compatible device! If you recall, this was the first time PalmOne's site had the words "Treo 650" on their site at all, and it sent lots of us "Treoficionados" into quite a tizzy:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/2598506748540363/

The page has since changed, and I'm just hoping that it was changed because that info was prematurely released, as opposed to being factually incorrect. Time will tell.
    I think that on these boards, someone said they wrote the company that had the Treo 650 listing after it was changed, and they said that it turned out not to work with the Treo 650. I may be dreaming that whole story though.
    I think that on these boards, someone said they wrote the company that had the Treo 650 listing after it was changed, and they said that it turned out not to work with the Treo 650. I may be dreaming that whole story though.
    It was on P1's site. I hope they wouldn't make that kind of mistake.
    actually it was in a post earlier in this thread: http://67.19.190.212/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=130
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Hmm... it appears we have a frustrating conundrum. TomTom's response does seem rather <ahem> definitive. But how many times have 3rd party accessory makers been wrong before?
    I too like convergence (as long as the whole is greater than the sum of the parts!)
    I think that's the key with the Treo. Having a still camera and a real operating system allows people to make their phone into a webcam with just software. That's exciting to me.

The thing that upsets me is not that it can't do EV-DO or any of those things whose time will come, but isn't there yet. It's the things like not working with wifi or bluetooth cards, when they should work as long as Palm allows the device to draw sufficient power to the component and they write the software. There should be no reason why the Treo can't draw whatever power it needs for something plugged into it and simply use the minimal amount (or zero) when those aren't in use. I'm fairly sure the outlets in my home work a bit like this, where an air condition will take up a lot of power and a night light can take up very little. And my home is fairly old too.

This whole thing goes for the power to the IR too. People are paying $400-$1000 for a good remote control for their home theatre systems. If that IR has enough power, the Treo has both touch screen and a keyboard (for force-feedback) which is something most of those high-end remotes don't do. And software to program the IR, set up buttons on the screen, and create macros already exists. So for another little power adjustment on Palm's part, the Treo could converge another $300+ device. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't do this. People who don't want the functionality don't have to pay any extra or very little and it's a whole new niche market they can enter.