Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 339
  1. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    PDA net does not work for MACs (though who would want to use a toy computer hehe). I'm sure all the Mac users would love to see this.
    PDANet may not, but WirelessModem works great on my kick-*** Mac (notice the proper capitalization.)

    "Toy" computer? What rock have you been hiding under for the last, say, 10 years?

    http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/
  2. #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Do you really use a GPS? For what? Don't people know where they are at any given time?
    Well, sometimes people don't now were they are, especially when hiking in the forest or/and mountans.


    Voice assisted directions when one is on trip in another city is very nice feature also....
  3. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by theFourth
    Where did you get a 1GB SD card for $30? I want one too!
    Well truth be told, I used some creative accounting to brag.

    SanDisk 1 GB SD for $70 after a $30 rebate.
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3960168
    (Yep, these things cost $500 when they came out 8 months ago!)

    Included for free, however, is a SanDisk Digital Photo Viewer for your TV (normally costs $40.)
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3682672

    $100-$30-$40 = $30


    Rebate ends today, so act fast!

    This 1 GB SD card will turn my current Treo 600 (and my future Treo 650) into a pretty sweet USB drive.
    Last edited by Fofer; 09/30/2004 at 12:51 PM.
  4. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    What does the BT-modem do? Does it allow you to use your home PC's modem or DSL line to get online? Explain please...
    No. It (would've/could've/should've?) allowed you to use your Treo as a wireless modem to get your laptop online when you travel.
  5. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Reverse tethering? Any BT experts know if I could get a net connection on my Treo from my laptop via BT if Sprint indeed doesn't allow tethering? I want to be able to get a fast connection on my Treo thoughout my home.
    Bluetooth has an effective range of about 30 feet. If I were that close to my computer I think I'd rather surf there, wouldn't you?

    Unfortunately when I'm traveling with my laptop though, I don't have nearly that many options.

    Let's get standard tethering working, then we can worry about "reverse" tethering, mmmkay?
  6. #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Well truth be told, I used some creative accounting to brag.

    SanDisk 1 GB SD for $70 after a $30 rebate.
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3960168
    (Yep, these things cost $500 when they came out 8 months ago!)

    Included for free, however, is a SanDisk Digital Photo Viewer for your TV (normally costs $40.)
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3682672

    $100-$30-$40 = $30


    Rebate ends today, so act fast!

    This 1 GB SD card will turn my current Treo 600 (and my future Treo 650) into a pretty sweet USB drive.
    $ 70.00, hey? Well, if anybody is interested you can get:

    1GB Lexar for $68.00 (after $30.00) mail in rebate here
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=493581

    OR

    1GB SanDisk for $75.99, no mail in rebate required.
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=401035

    Mine should be delivered any minute now

    And now back to the Treo650 frenzy...
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

    "Doh !'
  7. #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Do you really use a GPS? For what? Don't people know where they are at any given time? Maybe I am missing something, but I think GPS is unneccessary. Please anyone fill me in on other possibilities that I am probably missing. If there is a good use for it then I am interested - I love extra tech gadgets/programs.

    As for WiFi, the card version will still work in the 650, right? If so, does that eliminate the need for using minutes on my plan to check email, etc, when around a hotspot?
    I don't know about you Ocean18, but I love having my Dell Axim connected to a bluetooth receiver in my car. I can, from any location, call up an address, or a person in my contacts list, and the software will lead me there. That, to me, is a very nice feature just a couple hundred dollars. Not having to run an extra cable for a non-bluetooth GPS is just icing on the cake.

    At the same time, I will not be passing on the 650 if it doesn't have that capability. If I can wirelessly sync and use a bluetooth headset then I'll be happy.
    Mike
  8. gcs
    gcs is offline
    gcs's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    PDA net does not work for MACs (though who would want to use a toy computer hehe). I'm sure all the Mac users would love to see this.
    sigh....

    WirelessModem

    http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/index.shtml

    does the same thing (and apparently supports linux and windows as well)

    No need to start any mac/pc flame wars, just want to make sure that people aren't misled into thinking they can't use their Treos as a wireless modem for their macs (which rock btw)...

    George
  9. #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Do you really use a GPS? For what? Don't people know where they are at any given time? ...
    I don't think it's so much a matter of not knowing where they are but where everyone else is. Obviously, you always know where you are. There you are right there. GPS tells you where everybody else is, which is always a good thing to know, especially if you're lost!
  10. #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTeeth
    $ 70.00, hey? Well, if anybody is interested you can get:

    1GB Lexar for $68.00 (after $30.00) mail in rebate here
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=493581

    OR

    1GB SanDisk for $75.99, no mail in rebate required.
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=401035

    Mine should be delivered any minute now

    And now back to the Treo650 frenzy...
    Great price. Can this SD card be used with the new Treo 650?

    Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  11. #211  
    Here is a general question for some of you - since many in here seem to be much more in the know than I - is there a cell phone signal booster that really works? I live at the beach and the signal from ATT is terrible here - so mush so that I ordered a new phone/acct with Cingular just to see if their service is any better! I am an attorney and in need of a REAL WORKING PHONE!!!!!! I plan to get a 650 when they come out, but I need to get a good phone signal - any ideas???
  12. #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Do you really use a GPS? For what? Don't people know where they are at any given time? Maybe I am missing something, but I think GPS is unneccessary. Please anyone fill me in on other possibilities that I am probably missing. If there is a good use for it then I am interested - I love extra tech gadgets/programs.

    As for WiFi, the card version will still work in the 650, right? If so, does that eliminate the need for using minutes on my plan to check email, etc, when around a hotspot?
    Many treocentral members use the Treo 600, Mapopolis and gps receivers for driving directions, trip routing, etc.... for under $200. Just look at this thread.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52837
    Bluetooth would allow one to use a bluetooth gps receiver with the treo 650 and remove some of the clutter of wires from the dash and make the system a bit more mobile.
    I use it everyday, and I also have a GSM Treo 600.
    I guess the GSM Treo 650 will support all bluetooth profiles, not just a few like this CDMA Sprint Treo 650, as reported by the Cahsdad .

    Lewisl77

    Lewisl77
  13. #213  
    A repeater is what you need, though how effective it will be depends upon what residual signal you have around your house. I am in your line of business as well, but fortunately ended up with a beach house that is in good signal range of Sprint. We have no electrical or telephone service there, so everything is powered by the sun. Using my Treo600 and, before that, my I330, and, of course, the sun, I am able to do mammoth projects ranging up to full length books using Nexis and Westlaw over my palmphone and my laptop. But I suppose you only want to use it for phone service...? The fact is you need much less signal strength for data service than for voice. Kind of ironic.
  14. #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Bluetooth has an effective range of about 30 feet. If I were that close to my computer I think I'd rather surf there, wouldn't you?

    Unfortunately when I'm traveling with my laptop though, I don't have nearly that many options.

    Let's get standard tethering working, then we can worry about "reverse" tethering, mmmkay?
    Class III ranges to ~30 feet. Class I devices go over 300 feet. I have a Belkin and it works well up to about 100 feet or so. It doesn't matter if Treo is only class III, the Belkin transmits AND receives as a Class I device.

    I use the Belkin along with a Sony UX40 for wireless email/surfing, so with the necessary profiles on the 650, you could do the same without Vision or GPRS (useful in let's say an office environment in which your cell phone does not have great reception).
  15. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Do you really use a GPS? For what? Don't people know where they are at any given time? Maybe I am missing something, but I think GPS is unneccessary. Please anyone fill me in on other possibilities that I am probably missing. If there is a good use for it then I am interested - I love extra tech gadgets/programs.
    If the Treo650 supports the right Bluetooth profile, then you can use this:
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=14&Language=4
  16. #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Do you really use a GPS? For what? Don't people know where they are at any given time? Maybe I am missing something, but I think GPS is unneccessary. Please anyone fill me in on other possibilities that I am probably missing. If there is a good use for it then I am interested - I love extra tech gadgets/programs.

    As for WiFi, the card version will still work in the 650, right? If so, does that eliminate the need for using minutes on my plan to check email, etc, when around a hotspot?
    There are tons of uses for GPS. Driving directions and finding the nearest ATM just scratch the surface. I suggest you do some research on location based services (LBS) to find some of the hundreds of other possibilities.

    As for WiFi, the card version doesn't work on the Treo 600 right now. Hence it can't "still" work on the Treo 650. And yeah, it will eliminate the need to use minutes to check e-mail, surf the web, as well as speed up the process to broadband like speeds enabling better streaming of music, and adding streaming video to the mix.
  17. #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    If the Treo650 supports the right Bluetooth profile, then you can use this:
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...=14&Language=4
    Even though I still think it is a bit unneccessary for me - this is VERY COOL, and I will probably GET IT if available. I always amaze myself at just how much time and money I spend on things I really don't need... SO WHAT, DID YOU SEE HOW COOL THIS STUFF IS!!!!!!
  18. #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Bluetooth has an effective range of about 30 feet. If I were that close to my computer I think I'd rather surf there, wouldn't you?

    Unfortunately when I'm traveling with my laptop though, I don't have nearly that many options.

    Let's get standard tethering working, then we can worry about "reverse" tethering, mmmkay?
    Ummm, no I wouldn't rather use my computer, that's the point. I have a desktop that's on all the time, but it's not all the comfy to sit at while watching a ball game. I also have a laptop, but it's an older, bigger, heavier one that's really bogged down with some programs and the like. I don't like the non-mouse type input on it - prefer the stylus. The 30 feet is not an issue for me. Also, I could potentially stream music over the BT connection. In short, this reverse tethering would be my poor man's wifi for just my home because it's appearing that wifi might not be available again.

    On the other hand, I don't travel much, if at all, so standard tethering isn't something that I'd ever use. So let's start worrying about reverse tethering, mmmkay?
  19. #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    A repeater is what you need, though how effective it will be depends upon what residual signal you have around your house. I am in your line of business as well, but fortunately ended up with a beach house that is in good signal range of Sprint. We have no electrical or telephone service there, so everything is powered by the sun. Using my Treo600 and, before that, my I330, and, of course, the sun, I am able to do mammoth projects ranging up to full length books using Nexis and Westlaw over my palmphone and my laptop. But I suppose you only want to use it for phone service...? The fact is you need much less signal strength for data service than for voice. Kind of ironic.
    I want to do more than just phone service, but I certainly need a solid phone signal. I have dropped several clients in the middle of a cell call - you know how unacceptable that is in our business... What about a quad-band phone - do they pick up a good TDMA signal when GSM isn't strong enough?
  20. #220  
    Check this out: http://www.pdastreet.com/cgi-bin/dis...ype=smartphone

    Pretty interesting...
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions