Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    link pretty please
    Quote Originally Posted by damigs
    Has anyone gotten this to work. I mean I followed the directions they sent me and I still cannot get this working even thou it shows server is connected and audio files are selected.
    Me too, Little help please.

BTW Do I have to have PTunes deluxe? The description for Ptunes mentions streaming audio, But I can't seem to figure out the configutation in Ptunes.

TIA
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    http://gloonet.com/download.php

You need Pocket Tunes Deluxe to listen to audio streams. (GLOOnet uses audio streams.)

M3U and PLS are just different playlist file formats. http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=65772
    I haven't noticed any difference when using either setting.

damigs: It sounds like your firewall or NAT router may be blocking GLOOnet.

Personally, I haven't gotten the Playlists to work even though I set some up. I have several simple suggestions that would greatly improve the user experience, but can't find the "forum" to express feedback for this "beta". All in all it's a pretty cool "proof of concept" at this point.
  4. pjs
    I just wanted to second the SlimServer recommendation. I'm using it in combination with pTunes deluxe over Bluetooth and it works really well. Amazing free open source software. Also, their Squeezebox network music player is worth every penny. They nailed simplicity and ease of use perfectly.
    FRom http://gloonet.com/support.php

Pocket Tunes keeps playing the same song over again.
    There is a bug in Pocket Tunes where M3U playlists don't automatically advance to the next song. However, the Previous and Next buttons can be used to manually advance to the next song in the list. With PLS playlists, Pocket Tunes will auto-advance to the next song, but the Previous and Next buttons do not function properly. To switch playlist formats, click the Settings link at the bottom of the page when you are logged into your GlooNet account.

iTunes doesn't seem to work properly when I use it as my player.
    When you launch or open a playlist with iTunes from a browser, iTunes will automatically add the songs into the main Library rather than creating a new playlist. Playlist song order is lost and in some instances, playback won't advance to the next song automatically. Unfortunately, that is how iTunes is designed to function and there is no configuration to change this behavior. As a work around, rather than letting iTunes download the playlist, you can save the playlist file to your local drive, and then import it into iTunes from the File > Import menu option (make sure to change to "Files of Type" to M3U). This is create a new playlist with all the information maintained as it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    You're not a Mac user, are you.
    Heh heh... dunno if he is or not, and I'm not sure what you are implying, but you could do that whole personal music streaming thing on Windows long before iTunes, long before OS X, when Macs still used to grind to a halt when you clicked on a pull-down menu.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    FRom http://gloonet.com/support.php

Pocket Tunes keeps playing the same song over again.
    There is a bug in Pocket Tunes where M3U playlists don't automatically advance to the next song. However, the Previous and Next buttons can be used to manually advance to the next song in the list. With PLS playlists, Pocket Tunes will auto-advance to the next song, but the Previous and Next buttons do not function properly. To switch playlist formats, click the Settings link at the bottom of the page when you are logged into your GlooNet account.
    Hey Thanks Louis! This was one of my gripes about GLOOnet. I'll give it a shot. Although I swear I've tried this before and it didn't make a difference. I'll post back with my results.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I was about to write this:

Unfortunately, the information on their support FAQ about Pocket Tunes and M3U/PLS is incorrect, in my experience. The Previous/Next buttons do not do anything for me with either format. And PocketTunes does not advance to the next song with either format selected.
    BUT, then I realized something. Pocket Tunes actually WILL advance to the next song IF you press the little play arrow pictures on the GLOOnet web interface BUT NOT IF you follow the link from an individual song. This seemed to be the case for both M3U and PLS settings. I was thrown off because I had set up Slimserver before GLOOnet was released and Slimserver will advance to the next song automatically if you follow the link from an individual song.

However, I still could not get the Previous/Next buttons to work under either setting. BUT I think I see now how that is *supposed* to work. Using GLOOnet on my computer with Winamp, pressing the little play arrow pictures on the GLOOnet web interface would load each song in that category into it's own slot in the playlist (so using the previous/next buttons work normally to move between slots in the playlist - you can also jump ahead to any song in the playlist or use playlist shuffling). PocketTunes only opens one slot in the playlist for the entire stream (which is why it didn't even make sense to me when I read the statement that it would be possible to use the forward/back buttons in the first place). Maybe this is where the "PocketTunes bug" figures in -- the way it reads/loads the playlist.

A whole other issue that I have not seen mentioned yet is that the last ten seconds of each song gets chopped off. I am pretty sure that this is because of PocketTunes' aggressive (and non-configurable) buffering strategy (that caused me similar problems when running my own shoutcast server). Yes, I just confirmed that GLOOnet through Winamp on my computer does not chop off the last 10 seconds like PocketTunes does.

One thing I've wanted to do to oversome some of the shortcomings is to write a native Palm app that would take advantage of the audio stream http links used by GLOOnet:
    1) It would be faster (native vs. browser based application).
    2) You would not have to press "Yes (I want to download)" and then press "Save" from Blazer after choosing each song, the song would just start playing automatically in PocketTunes.
    3) YOU COULD *SEARCH* RATHER THAN BROWSE THROUGH 10,000 or whatever of ALL YOUR SONGS to find that one song you are looking for (pet peeve - so simple! so obvious! so frustrating!)
    4) You could "Enqueue in PocketTunes" or in other words create your own playlists on the fly song by song, rather than being stuck with the ones automatically generated by the ID3 tag info or playlists created in advance. (Similar to the way Slimsever works - I was impressed by it! If only it weren't for the bandwith hog web interface and the fact that I wasn't able to configure it to broadcast at less than 320kbps to work with the Treo.)
    5) If possible, you could also browse by the folder structure that your music is stored in on your computer, for those people like me who organize their music that way rather than through Windows Media Player/iTunes libraries using ID3 metadata. (Am I the only one??)
    6) You could optionally advance (or not advance) to the "next song" after the single song that you selected ends.

Anyway, those are my main complaints, and they seem like something so simple that *even I* could realistically program them (I'm a programmer) as a 3rd party app/client on top of the current GLOOnet server system. I just haven't had the time/interest to sit down and do it, especially considering I haven't done any more Palm-specific programming other than compiling the most basic "Hello world" type programs through the C language and a Java MIDlet and running them on my Treo (and it was a pain. The Java MIDlet was easier but I am pretty sure I won't be able to access the PocketTunes API from it).

I am going to post to the PocketTunes forum about the problems on their end that I can't do anything about myself (last 10 seconds of audio getting cut off and the incorrect loading of playlists).
    I've been trying out both the GlooNet and SlimServer solutions, and both have their issues.

SlimServer issues, in comparison to Gloonet
    - it appears there is no way to transcode files to lower bit rates? This is a big one: most of us probably have mp3's that are incoded at 128kbs and higher, while even with a CDMA connection, you're only going to be able to stream 56kbs reliably. The only solution that I can see is creating a lower bitrate copy of your entire music collection
    - There's no security to the web interface: anyone who knows your computer's IP can access your music
    - It doesn't look like there's any way to browse by artist AND album, the way you can with the GlooNet interface.
    - The server software seems a little clunky compared to GlooNet: you have to rescan every time you add more music for the server to discover it, and the memory footprint of the server is pretty heavy.

Gloonet would seem like the better solution, if I could get it to work:
    - I can't login at all using Blazer: I just get a "no-session" error
    - I can login using Web Pro, but there still seems to be problem with their web app, particularly with how it's handling sessions. For example, none of the settings I changed, such as how many items to display on a page, or the default bit rate, seem to be reflected when I use the app through Web Pro. It all seems to work okay off of a PC using IE.
    - Obviously there are those annoying pocket tunes issues with the Next and Back buttons.
    - It would be nice if the web interface had a freetext search box the way the slim server interface does.

In the long run, I'm hoping Gloonet will fix some of the bugs once it's out of beta, because I think there's a lot of promise there. The problems on the GlooNet side seem easier to fix than the features that are missing on the SlimServer side.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feral
    I can't login at all using Blazer: I just get a "no-session" error
    feral, I've gotten this error twice before. Clearing the Blazer cache, history, cookies, etc. and refreshing the page has solved it both times.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feral
    It would be nice if the web interface had a freetext search box the way the slim server interface does.
    I just recieved this bit of good news from the GLOOlabs development team in response to my inquiry:

Yup... Search is definitely useful and we plan to add it.

dpuza wrote:

If I am looking for a song but do not know the exact Title, Artist, Album, Genre, etc, then I have to Browse "All Songs". I have a music library of over two thousand songs. It is very time consuming to browse two thousand songs to attempt to locate a single song.

Using GLOOnet, I have to do this for virtually every song I want to play.

Can a "Search" feature be added?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    BTW I sent 5 inquiries (on five different subjects) this morning to the development team and I've already recieved answers to 3 of the issues. (and it was great news too! which suprised me! now I might not have to write my application after all ) I imagine the other two issues were "suprises" and that they're being looking into.
    Dpuza, thanks, I tried clearing out cache, cookies, etc. and reloading, but I still get the same error. I can't figure it out.
    Hello Y'all:

Thanks to those who have been playing with GlooNet; we appreciate the feedback and ideas.

Some quick bits of info:

1) The Pocket Tunes bugs mentioned in this thread (song replay, next/prev buttons and song clipping) will be fixed in v3.07 which should be release at the end of the month.

2) GlooNet Desktop for the Mac should be available in the next couple weeks.

3) If you can't log into your account (No Session error), it's most likely a problem with cookies. In some cases, the only way to reset cookies on the Treo is to perform a hard reset. You can read more here:

http://gloonet.com/support.php#cookies

If you continue to have any problems, please contact us here:

http://gloonet.com/contact.php
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12