Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, this is just a rumor I picked up off of engadget (www.engadget.com), but they say that a friend of a friend of someone who knows someone... that the Treo650 is going to be released by Verizon Q4 this year (Nov. to be specific).
    Read it for yourself: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1400731206441496/

Think they'll offer an equitable upgrade path for recent T600 purchasers? HAHAHA, oh, that was a good one...

Cheers,
    Lactoso
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any further confirmation of this - similar to the confirmations that we now have from Sprint and Cingular. I really want to purchase a Treo soon - but will try and hold off if in fact the 650 is just 2 months away from being released by Verizon. Hopefully Verizon will sell both the 600 (at a reduced cost) and the 650.
    I would be very surprised if VZW released the 650 this year.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I would be absolutely shocked to see VZW release the new Treo 650 this year, less than 6 months after supporting the Treo 600. Fones typically do not get through their q&A process that quickly, let alone data products.
    Everyone assumes that Verizon will not release the Treo 650 until next year since they only released the Treo 600 a few months ago. However, people fail to realize why it took Verizon so long to release the Treo 600. It was not that the testing process took an extraordinary amount of time, it was that Verizon never planned to release the phone at all.

Once Verizons's business customers began to complain that all the other carriers sold the Treo 600, Verizon realized they needed to offer the phone as well. Therefore, they didn't start testing the phone until several months after Sprint, T-Mobile, ATT, etc. were already offering it.

This time around, Verizon knows that that their customers will demand the Treo 650 and according to sources I have read on this site and Engadget, Verzion is already testing the Treo 650.

Therefore, I expect to see Verizon release the Treo 650 by the end of the year. It will no doubt release the Treo 650 after Sprint since Verizon has a more rigorous testing procedure, but I doubt it will be more than a month or two later.

Just my $.02
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have a similar feeling. I think that Verizon, well aware of PalmOne's 2-3 year strategic plans, may have planned a prompt introduction of Treo 650 shortly after its announcement. I don't think they are sweating now to jump on the train. Moreover, I won't be surprised if they are among the first to support 650...

Bringing 600 to their list first wouldn't conflict with the close release of 650 since they may see them as non-competing lower- and higher-end products. It also let them make additional profit on a Verizon/Treo rush, impossible had they waited to get 600 after 650.

That is, I'm almost sure that they started testing 650 close to 600 and may be finishing its testing by now. If it's true, being first or among the first will create yet another wave of profit.
    Ed
    zorz.net
    Palm III > Palm V > palm Vx > Palm m500 > Sony Clie SJ33 > Palm Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty4
    Everyone assumes that Verizon will not release the Treo 650 until next year since they only released the Treo 600 a few months ago. However, people fail to realize why it took Verizon so long to release the Treo 600. It was not that the testing process took an extraordinary amount of time, it was that Verizon never planned to release the phone at all.

Once Verizons's business customers began to complain that all the other carriers sold the Treo 600, Verizon realized they needed to offer the phone as well. Therefore, they didn't start testing the phone until several months after Sprint, T-Mobile, ATT, etc. were already offering it.

This time around, Verizon knows that that their customers will demand the Treo 650 and according to sources I have read on this site and Engadget, Verzion is already testing the Treo 650.

Just my $.02

Well I hope that you guys are right! I do know that they ARE testing the Treo 650 right now. One of the customer support managers told me. But he could not say when it would be released.

I hope you are right. I have Verizon and bought the Treo 600. When I found out about the 650, I sent the phone back in hopes of getting a 650 in due time.

I was thinking about moving to Sprint because Verizon's plans are high. For example Verizon's data access is $49/mo. while Sprint's in only $15/mo.
    Lets see how they cripple bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Well I hope that you guys are right! I do know that they ARE testing the Treo 650 right now. One of the customer support managers told me. But he could not say when it would be released.

I hope you are right. I have Verizon and bought the Treo 600. When I found out about the 650, I sent the phone back in hopes of getting a 650 in due time.

I was thinking about moving to Sprint because Verizon's plans are high. For example Verizon's data access is $49/mo. while Sprint's in only $15/mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Lets see how they cripple bluetooth.
    Do you think that different carriers will use bluetooth differently? Like Verizon not use it at all and Sprint use it to it's full advantage?
    Yes, different carriers do currently use BT differently. GSM carriers (because BT availability has already been there) seem to have more BT profiles. Sprint has carried a BT phone in the past and VZ has not. I think Sprint has shown the intention of moving into the BT arena while offering customers the full, or near-full, advantages of BT (data transfer, headset profiles, handsfree profiles). Verizon's has been fairly reluctant to offer BT. Furthermore, some of the advantages of BT appear to be at odds with their business model (GIN, etc.). Because of their strong customer base (including a huge business customer base) I don't think there's enough inertia to push them to incorporate BT. I might be wrong -- and i hope I am!!

Verizon, I'm assuming, basically thinks that "hey, if you want BT go somewhere else." They've got 60 million customers (please correct my number if I'm wrong) and they could care less if a handful of them move to another carrier for BT. Don't get me wrong, VZ will offer BT -- but on their terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Do you think that different carriers will use bluetooth differently? Like Verizon not use it at all and Sprint use it to it's full advantage?
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Verizon, I'm assuming, basically thinks that "hey, if you want BT go somewhere else." They've got 60 million customers (please correct my number if I'm wrong) and they could care less if a handful of them move to another carrier for BT. Don't get me wrong, VZ will offer BT -- but on their terms.
    True, the Motorola V710 being the first example of that. It is Verizon's first phone with Bluetooth capability, but only for use with headsets. They removed the capability to use the Bluetooth modem, and OBEX file transfer. Their "official" line is "that the VZW support staff would otherwise be overwhelmed with calls from users that don't know how to use these features". That's bad enough customer services as it is. But a more sinister reason is that removing OBEX forces you to use the Verizon pix service to transfer pictures (which costs money) and also means games only download via GetItNot.

The Samsing i600 does not have built-in Bluetooth, but the Windows Mobile 2003 OS supports Bluetooth profiles. However, in anticipation of potential Bluetooth SD cards for the i600, VZW already removed the profiles from the OS.

I'm expecting they will cripple the T650 likewise.
    Verizon has had a BT enabled phone for years....it was just not advertized very well. I've been using the Motorola Timeport 270c for about two years with BT on the Verizon network. I can use a headset with it, or use it as a modem for my Palm (m515 with BT card) or my laptop (integrated BT). It works fairly well. But it is old and time for a new phone and I CANNOT WAIT for the new Treo 650! I'm hoping Verizon will carry it early....if not....Sprint here I come!
    Ah yes, forgot about that phone..was way ahead of its time and tough as a brick. Loved the polyphonic ringers on that phone Today I bet they WOULD cripple it though...
    Just to add to the 'will they cripple BT debate' :

VZW seems to treat the T600 as a serious business phone. I think we can all agree that they aren't marketing to the V710 crowd with the Treo (any model). I am basing this on the fact that there are no Get It Now features on my 600. Picture messaging is done via MMS. Would anyone care to speculate that if and when VZW offers the 650 that they will decide to leave BT alone? Business customers seem to have a way of being unforgiving when it comes to features...or should I say uncompromising. I would think the 650 would be an easy sell to a big or medium business with all of the BT functionality intact. Just thinking positive.....and waiting to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty4

Therefore, I expect to see Verizon release the Treo 650 by the end of the year. It will no doubt release the Treo 650 after Sprint since Verizon has a more rigorous testing procedure, but I doubt it will be more than a month or two later.

Just my $.02

A well reasoned hypothesis, but perhaps with a wee bit much wishful thinking baked in.

What you propose would equate to VZW behaving in a completely un-Verizon like manner. Namely selling a high end communication device not less than a year after the competition (a noble first step perhaps for lead footed VZW), but actually at the same time! The Vegas odds can't be very good on this...
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The odds get better if an un-crippled 650 is available elsewhere. Unfortunately, Sprint and VZ both see BT as an unwanted (by them) feature. Sigh. I fear I'm gonna have to vote with my feet and head for a GSM carrier.
    Can someone identify a phone Verizon has crippled. My 7135 works as advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by gblessing
    Can someone identify a phone Verizon has crippled. My 7135 works as advertised.
    Motorola V710, Samsung i600
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I am a bit confused, how exactly are the phones crippled? I have the Treo and I600 from Verizon (I ran out and got i6oo, thinking the treo was never coming)

What other feature should/could they have?
    I Business Sales Rep. told me that she believed the TREO 650/ACE will be released in March.

Ramon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast