Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know the 650 will run Garnet but thought you may be interested in this article on The Reister with info from P1's European dev conference...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...t_sixpointone/

Lomax
    thanks for posting that - i'm interested in seeing cobalt-based smartphones, too
    is it possible that the Treo 650 is designed /w Cobalt in mind so that it can be easily upgraded via firmware update?
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    You're dreaming. A Cobalt phone has support for bluetooth and wi-fi built in to the OS, not to mention multi-tasking. I see it as a different platform, analogous to M$ Smartphone vs Pocket PC.
    It's not totally unfeasible. Just because an OS supports multi-communication interfaces doesn't mean that they all have to be there for the OS to function. As far as multiprocessing is concerned, that can be implemented via software with cpu time sharing. I might be talking out of me arse because I haven't read anything on Cobalt but what I said is not impossible nor is it improbable.
    By the time the software is available the hardware will look ancient.

Do not expect a Cobalt-based "TREO 650" if the "TREO 650" comes out within, say, the next 6 months.

When/if PalmOne introduces a TREO with Cobalt it will be a new device from the start.

IMHO, of course...
    Umm, no 3G support built into Cobalt yet? "...There's no 3G support as of yet."

I'm assuming US carriers won't release Cobalt phones until this is ready, but I'm sure this is being addressed now.
    Wow. It says it's not thought the Treo 650 will be launched next week. Looks like I'll be getting the Orange SPV M2000 as an interim measure (or permanent measure if I'm happy with it) if the new Treo hasn't even been announced by the time the M2000 becomes available.
    I just read the announcement on the Palm Infocenter about Cobalt 6.1 and wow - I want it!! IMO this makes the 650 DOA. After reading about Cobalt, I will be waiting for a Treo or other smartphone with Cobalt, even if I have to wait a year. My 600 is working fine now. I'll just put up with the poor display until a really truely innovative new smartphone comes out and Cobalt looks to me to be the basis of that smartphone.
    Last edited by WolfpackFan; 09/28/2004 at 08:05 AM.
    I'll buy both, honestly, I know I will
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Wasn't the announcement from PalmOne that Cobalt was designed for SmartPhones and that there would be 11 or 12 comming out soon ? Why is it not possible that the Treo 650 will have Cobalt with both integrated Bluetooth and WiFi ? I know the leak doesn't support this, but don't you think their marketting department is savvy to the environment in which they operate ? Why not leak information that makes them look to be lagging, and then wow the world with the true release ?
    treo 650 has already shipped from HTC to P1, they will be available shortly. How long does it take a freighter to cross an ocean these days?

anyway, Treo 650 is ready and Cobalt phones won't be here until 2005, so its not 650...and don't look for an OS upgrade either FYI. Palm1 needs money
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    treo 650 has already shipped from HTC to P1, they will be available shortly. How long does it take a freighter to cross an ocean these days?
    A FedEx plane takes about a day.

Where are the TREO 650s?

Hmmm...
    I think it takes a week for a freighter to cross the sea.
    Ok...this is what I think.

Treo 600 - low end ($299)
    Treo 650 - mid-range ($499)
    Treo 700 - high-end ($699) - has Cobalt 6.1, 64MB RAM, BT + WiFi, UTMS, blah blah

I wish .
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    Wll here we go. For first Cobalt phone model Palm abandoned thumbpad and use standard QVGA screen instead of square.

http://www.mobinaute.com/mobinaute/a...20040928124012

So much for 'where is the thumbpad' crowd.
    QDA is NOT COBALT it's GARNET
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    I like it. I'm not interested in a thumbpad (just so everyone know's there are those of us out here who would prefer a no thumbpad option). Are they going to sell this in the states? It didn't look like it
    The thing about the thumbboard is that with the Palm platform you can have it if you want it or you can get something like the phone that Suskind mentioned. With PPC you get an after-thought add-on keyboard that make the device way too big. You'd think that with 15 or whatever makers of PPC devices, one would get a thumbboard in there. Guess the OS is flexible enough for that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    The thing about the thumbboard is that with the Palm platform you can have it if you want it or you can get something like the phone that Suskind mentioned. With PPC you get an after-thought add-on keyboard that make the device way too big. You'd think that with 15 or whatever makers of PPC devices, one would get a thumbboard in there. Guess the OS is flexible enough for that yet.
    Excuse me, where can I get Palm1 phone without thumboard but with WIFi?
    While on PPC we have sliding thumpad, attachment, ultrasmall, and dual hinge.

Trust me, next P1 phone is not going to be in treo form factor if they want to add bigger screen. Either it's going to be flip phone or detachable.

Keep on dreaming that treo600/650 thumboard is the only input solution. This is going to be just like grafitti where finally Palm admit grafitti is not as bigger deal as they claim to be and adopt VG.

P1 is a roadkill. Just because it's still flopping about doesn't mean it's not a roadkill.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast