View Poll Results: Which Carrier Will You Use For Treo 650 (In US) And Why?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprint

121 54.02%
  • T-Mobile

44 19.64%
  • Cingular

14 6.25%
  • Verizon

22 9.82%
  • AT&T

20 8.93%
  • Other (Please Comment)

3 1.34%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    You wouldn't happen to know whether the quality of PTT rivals Nextel's PTT, do you?
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
  2.    #42  
    I am still really surprised that there is 0.00 rumor about TMo Release Date. Anyone? Anyone?
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Well, I'm sticking with S-PCS. Been with them for 3 years now and so far I've been happy.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    If VZW doesn't come out with it soon after everyone else, I'll happily pay the fees to get out of my plan early!!!! I would like to think they will come out with around the same time as everyone else!!!
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I had heard that Cingular and T-Mobile were sharing towers in NYC and other regions. Does anyone know if this is still (or is not) the case? If not, what frequencies are the two carriers using, and is 850 better than 1900?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K.
    Well, here is how I got the $10 option. I have 3 lines on my account, 2 of which are true "Vision capable" phones (Samsung VGA1000's), which can d/l games, ringtones, screen savers, etc. I can't do that with my Treo, so I asked if my monthly $5 credit towards Vision d/l's could be applied to my other 2 lines, and they said no... but there was a code in the system to reduce the Treo's monthly charge to $10, due to the fact that it is unable to take advantage of Vision d/l's.

It's worth a phone call (or two or three... you know how it is) to see if you can save yourself $5 a month.
    Robert, looks like you got the hookup! I pay $10.00 a month too for Vision.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Anyone got any ideas on the best way to break a 2 yr contract without having to pay the penalty fees????? I need to switch from ATT to Cingular soon, but have only had ATT for 6 months! I can't pay the penalty on 4 phones!!!!!!! Suggestions?

Since Cingular bought ATT, do you think they will hook me up???
    When checking email, does it use minutes or data plan? If you don't get the data plan, can you still check email by using minutes, or is data required to do so? Cingular answer please...
    Do signal-boosters really work?
    850 gives you better building penetration than 1900.

I'm still deciding who to go with. I love T-mobiles pricing and cust service, Sprint has great coverage, and I am curious to see what happens with ATT/Cingular. In any case, I am dying to switch from Nextel.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    My Sprint service ends in January 2005. If T-Mo carries the T650 AND the Motorola V3 RaZr come that time, it's bye-bye Sprint!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I will be on Sprint. I find that their coverage is great and since I have 1800 minutes a month, my data is free. what else could I ask for except maybe international roaming (not a biggie) or true 3G ( in time on a future Treo).
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    I'll stick with AT&T until it's taken over by Cingular and then give Cingular time to sort out their new system. Once that's done, I'll decide whether to stay or to move on to T-Mo. I travel in Europe a good bit and all of the GSM carriers seem to offer pretty good coverage.

i agree with ya
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    Now, does anyone have any credible info on the timing of Cingular customers being able to use AT&T's EDGE network? I'm hoping of course that it will be right around the time of the 650's launch.

If in fact the 650 has EDGE this may help explain the rumor that Cingular will be one of the first (if not *the* first) carrier to offer the 650 in November. P1 will be highly motivated, as would Cingular, to get an EDGE enabled smartphone (I believe the first here in the U.S.??) to market ASAP. Cingular is the ideal candidate given its purchase of AT&T and its EDGE assets and the fact that post-merger it will be the largest carrier in the U.S.
    AT&T recently secured its license to sell product under the name "AT&T Wireless" for an additional six months. Though the Cingular merger will begin in October, you can expect that the merger will continue for several months based on the DBA extension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K.
    I'm with Sprint, and very happy. They have the best data pricing by far at $10 a month (which is available to anybody with a Treo)
    Robert, do you mean anybody with a Treo AND on the Sprint network or just anybody with a Treo? I'm planning to stay with T-Mobile after I get my unlocked Treo 650, but if there's some way I can get a better deal than their $19.99 unlimited data plan, I'd love to hear it.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Cingular is the ideal candidate given its purchase of AT&T and its EDGE assets and the fact that post-merger it will be the largest carrier in the U.S.
    Confirming the above:

FCC Boss Backs Cingular-ATT Wireless Deal
    Monday October 4, 2:07 pm ET
    By Jeremy Pelofsky

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Federal Communications Commission (News - Websites) Chairman Michael Powell plans to recommend Cingular Wireless receive approval to purchase AT&T Wireless Services Inc. (NYSE:AWE - News) with some divestitures, sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.

Some of the conditions will likely include forcing the companies to sell assets in some rural areas where the number of competitors to the new company will dwindle to one or two, the sources said, declining further identification.

At least two other FCC commissioners will have to agree with Powell before the $41 billion cash deal could be approved by the agency. The commissioners could seek changes to the divestitures, either adding or subtracting, before voting.

The divestitures, potentially in two dozen counties under Powell's proposal, could include selling business or airwaves in a market, or adjusting equity ownership the companies have in some entities that operate there, the sources said.

Powell said on Monday that recommendation would likely circulate to the other four commissioners this week.

FCC spokeswoman Lauren Patrich said the agency was actively working on the deal but declined further comment. A Cingular spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

The acquisition will also require the green light by antitrust authorities at the Justice Department. Analysts say they expect both agencies will approve the deal with some divestitures.

Cingular, a joint venture of BellSouth Corp. (NYSE:BLS - News) and SBC Communications Inc. (NYSE:SBC - News), and AT&T Wireless have already offered to divest some airwaves in markets where they together would have more than 80 megahertz of airwaves.

That likely will mean the new company would have to sell airwaves in Texas, Georgia, and Oklahoma, where the companies hold more than 80 MHz of airwaves in several counties.

FCC Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy said last week that it could take the agency weeks to complete the review of the deal because of its complicated nature.

If the deal is approved, Cingular would leapfrog Verizon Wireless to become the biggest U.S. wireless carrier.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I'm willing to bet that the 650 has EDGE.
    A contributor to the ATTWS forums, who claims to have a "650 Beta," further claims that it, indeed, has EDGE capability. Could be sweet!
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    You wouldn't happen to know whether the quality of PTT rivals Nextel's PTT, do you?
    Nobody's PTT rivals Nextel, yet. I've never actually used my PTT and I don't know anyone else on Nextel, so I cannot tell you my experience first hand. However, after Verizon and Sprint launched their PTT services, many comparisons were made and both failed to match Nextel.

I'm not sure if Orange has improved upon what has been done so far, but Nextels advantage comes from its PTT service being on a different technology than its cellular service. There is alot of latency comparitively in the competing services.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Sprint but only because i've been with them for a long time and have a really great plan. That being said, I'm not too excited about having a blue phone....
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I currently have T-Mobile and my contract was up in August. I was waiting for the 650 release to decide what to do. I have the Family Plan which gives me and my wife 800 shared minutes for $70. The reception here in the NYC/Northern NJ area is very good, so I'm hoping they have a nice rebate for the 650. If Sprint or At&T get it first, it will be a tough call as I hear their reception in this area is poor.
    so wait for T-Mobile or another carrier other than Sprint or AT&T. Nothing worse than getting this awesome new device only to be limited to lousy reception. Then you're locked in to one of their contracts and AHHHHH!! Talk about a buzz kill.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast