Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thought this was an interesting press release. The initial demo I saw of BB Connect only did e-mail, I wonder if that's changing with this release? If not I would think GoodLink is probably still a better Treo solution since it will sync all PIM applications.

http://www.blackberry.com/news/press..._2004-01.shtml
    I can't wait for this to finally happen.
    big news. this should be front-page center on TC.
    hope the release date is soon and the price is not out of line. If this syncs mail,contact, todo etc. then I will say goodbye to wireless sync. Yeah!
    ~Life is like hockey... You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!~
    In reading the message, it looks like the user would have to subscribe to Blackberry services. Does this mean that users will have to pay an additional $40+/month for Blackberry or can we leverage our existing tcp/ip data connection. I've been waiting for a mail synching solution that my company will support but am not willing to pay $40+/month to get corporate email even though it would make certain aspects of my job much easier (and some harder).

Any ideas/knowledge on this issue?
    good question. very good question. I love Wireless Sync. Its about as good as anything. better than chatter, snapper, all that stuff. but blackberry would make me move quickly off WS.
    ITA. WS is history if this is released. I'm wondering how VZW is going to respond since it is clearly going to be most popular with corporate customers. I may even jump ship to SPCS if it comes loaded on their Treo 650.
    You will have to buy the Blackberry service, most definitely. Don't know if it'll be the full $40 a month though. Think of it like what AOL is doing. You can access AOL through your own internet connection for a rate that is lower than what it would be if you used their wires.
    Here's the front page PIC story FYI:

RIM Plans Aftermarket Palm OS BlackBerry Software

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    big news. this should be front-page center on TC.
    I'm confused. Isn't Balckberry just like Biz Conn or Goodlink? I've never used a balckberry device so I don't understand the buzz. I read articles where people refer to it as Crackberry because it's so addictive.

Can someone enlighten me?
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    In reading the message, it looks like the user would have to subscribe to Blackberry services. Does this mean that users will have to pay an additional $40+/month for Blackberry or can we leverage our existing tcp/ip data connection. I've been waiting for a mail synching solution that my company will support but am not willing to pay $40+/month to get corporate email even though it would make certain aspects of my job much easier (and some harder).

Any ideas/knowledge on this issue?

Most definitely you'll have to be a subscriber. Blackberry service is mostly for the corporate environment. I never think of individuals signing up for this service, but I guess it's possible. It just seems cost prohibitive.

What this means to me? I'll be able to connect to my companies Blackberry service using my Treo. I've resisted the prodding to carry the Blackberry by being able to access my e-mail through my laptop when I travel. Finally I'll be able to leave my laptop at home on trips when it is only along to enable me access to my company e-mail.

I'll have to give the remote computing department and let them know I'm up for the device beta testing once the software becomes available!
    Quote Originally Posted by tialoc
    I'm confused. Isn't Balckberry just like Biz Conn or Goodlink? I've never used a balckberry device so I don't understand the buzz. I read articles where people refer to it as Crackberry because it's so addictive.

Can someone enlighten me?
    Blackberry performs the same functions as BizConn and Goodlink with a few exceptions and with slightly different architecture, but for this post, assume they are the same: they allow you to get your work email on your portable device. The benefits of Blackberry is simply this: it is already installed in a ton of corporate environments. To get BizConn or Goodlink (or Blackberry) you need to install software on your company's exchange server (there are also desktop clients, but ignore that for this discussion). Since Blackberry was the first to come out and really pioneered the service, more companies have Blackberry than Goodlink and BizConn combined (by a factor of 100, if I had to guess). If a company already has Blackberry, they will most likely not install another system that does the same thing. If Blackberry software is put on a Treo, the employee can use it to get their email from the Blackberry already installed on the company's server.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Blackberry performs the same functions as BizConn and Goodlink with a few exceptions and with slightly different architecture, but for this post, assume they are the same:
    Thanks for the background KRamsauer. I thought I was missing out on some revolutionary piece of technology...

It would make sense now why some were calling the new blackberry phone a Treo killer but with the announcement that the software will be available for Palm I don't see where the Treo line would have anything to fear.

I heard some mention of a possible Blackberry / Palm merger. Don't know if it's real or just wishful thinking on someone's behalf.
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
    Has anybody heard any news about the release date? Man, its taking an eternity!! Shouldnt this integration to Palm OS be relatively simple? Do you think they are waiting to release preloaded on the new Treo?
    I sure would like to know when we 600 users can get this software. I hope you don't have get the 650 though I probably would
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    good question. very good question. I love Wireless Sync. Its about as good as anything. better than chatter, snapper, all that stuff. but blackberry would make me move quickly off WS.
    Since what is going to be actually released is not clear, I would not be jumping ship so quickly on WS. First of all, the press release states that you will need a subscription with Blackberry Wireless, which means two things1) For sure, you will need to terminate your VZW contract at a cost of $174 (2) if BB is not a VZW reseller, you would also need to buy a new device, at whatever the cost is for the new Treo, as your CDMA device will only work for VZW.

Also, currently the only version of BB that emulates WS is the BES, which costs $1,000 for a 5 user license. WS works for 1 - 20 users on either a PC or Workgroup installations, for $0. The BB redirector (which is free) works for one user and doesn't sync anything other than your inbox wirelessly - everything else must be hard synced through the dock.

So the bar for BB to clear to emulate the VZW WS service package is still quite high. That being said, if they offered BES on a single user basis either for free (never) or for a reasonable fee (say $100), they would quickly gain many users.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    First, I don't believe an additional service contract will be required. perhaps they'll charge for the software, but the data service is all that's required to make a BB device work.

Second, I doubt this will ever happen now. with the announcement of "Exchange Out of the Box", it is clear that Palm, in aligning with Microsoft is out to stomp RIM, not work with them.
    If I remember correctly, palmOne is working with MS, and palmSource is working with BB. Completely different animals. Remember, palmOne may even start making PocketPCs.
    There must be somebody who knows a possible release date for this

Anybody?????????????????

I'm one of 3 Treo600 users in my co and we have over 150 BB devices ... we run Lotus and therefore any hope of using Good Tech is out

SPC does not cut it ---- tried them all

I NEED the BB client badly

Thanks
    I want BB on my TREO too! Sprint's BC is unreliable and I am not always in a position to leave my laptop connected to a network to enable the email functionality!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast