Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After some consideration, I think I'd like to try my hand at making some simple ringtones for the Treo600. I'll need to play around a bit to check the quality of the onboard synth/wavetable, but I think I can probably do some polyphonic tones as well.

With that in mind, what kinds of ringtones would you guys like to hear? I don't have a lot of time for this, but I'd like to do a few of them and then post them for download on this site. Ideally I'll be creating tones that are 5-10 seconds in length, and fairly simple. I will NOT be recreating songs or any known tunes. I may - at some point - create some of my own, simple, song-like ringtones, but for the time being I'll probably just be doing some sound effect-type things...

Any thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to mention - the ringtones would be free of charge...
    Last edited by Indicator; 09/27/2004 at 10:38 AM.
    Create something *loud*, most of the midi files are too soft. For the rest, I have full confidence in your talent
  3.    #3  
    Okay - so I went through and found (with a few obvious exceptions) some of the more useful tones available in terms of volume. There are 16 in this file. You can see that even though the volume is set to the maximum available (127 as a MIDI value) the actual volume varies widely. If you have any favorite sounds, let me know. Otherwise I'll just work on putting together some useful tones, chimes and rings that put out the maximum volume...

Please note that you'll have to rename the file as a .MID and then e-mail it to yourself or something, as TC will not let me upload a direct MID file...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Indicator; 09/27/2004 at 09:54 PM. Reason: forgot to upload the file!
  4.    #4  
    And here's just a quick idea - "Classic Ring 1".
    That's some good stuff! I like the file with several different tones in a row, so we can help pick something for you to put together. I was downloading midi sequencers last night trying to find a good one. Still looking.
  6.    #6  
    Anyone else have comments or suggestions or requests?
    I think a good '70's style arpeggio would be cool, especially if it looped back on itself. An endlessly rising canon would be fun too, but you'd probably only get a quarter-way around the circle of 5ths before voice mail picked up.

A cool melody set to the word TREO in morse code might be a good inside joke for us Treo-naughts. That's "- , .-. , . , ---" for you budding HAMs out there.

The reason I'm trying to find a MIDI file editor is so I can cut up some of the tunes that have silence or a lead-in melody. Like the James Bond theme. Who really wants to hear the vamp as your ringer, knowing you'll never get to the main theme before voice mail picks up? Same for Knight Rider or Mission Impossible. I want those tunes (and others) to come crashing in at the main melody. That's the real reason we have all these cool ringtones, to make other people who hear them get a smile and say "I know that tune!" Polyphonic is nice, but the melody line is really what carries a phone-based tune.

That's all I'm gonna write now.
    Last edited by ebeale; 09/29/2004 at 06:41 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take them into consideration.

As for the MIDI editors, there are a ton of them around. I don't work with PC's often, so I can't recommend any free/shareware apps. If you've just got a few files that need to be tweaked, though, I can probably crop the beginning of the file to get rid of the vamps, etc. Just post the MIDs and let me know what you need done to them...

My favorite tone currently on my Treo: Legend of Zelda: Main Theme
    that's cool! the Treo MIDI Ring Tone Loader could probably help you faster for loading and hotsyncing your MIDI files directly to your smartphone for sound testing too... http://www.i-eshop.com/treo
    I am glad you are looking at this. I am not one for all sorts of songs playing as my ringer. I would like some simple and loud sound effects. As well, some that are short that could be used as an email or sms notification would be great as well.

Thanks
    Do i need a program to run these ring tones?

I never understood ring tones on the T600 at all. I've tried Phone Technician and etc .... couldn't even find my ringtones on that thing.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 05/05/2005 at 02:17 PM.
    I have always wanted a ring tone that was the sound of a 28.8 modem dialing in. all that chirping and whining would be cool for me.

I see it is a medofore, some is dialing into connect to me by calling my phone. I am kinda wierd I guess.

If you know of, or could come up with a good recording of that I would love it!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have an old Telephone ring tone. But the Treo does not loop it. so when I pick it as a ringtone it just rings once and thats it. I wish you could make it loop for me with out some special software. Just want it to ring and ring until I answer.
    what about james bond or austin powers phone ring..
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ideawizard2
    what about james bond or austin powers phone ring..
    Not sure if this was a question for me or to the Posting Majority. But I really like the file that I put with my post just needed it to loop.... If this question was for everyone else then just ignore this post....
    Ok, this may sound 'Krazy' but I'm out here in SF and would love to have the cable card 'ding' ding' as a ring tone...Nice and LOUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by xraymed View Post
    I have an old Telephone ring tone. But the Treo does not loop it. so when I pick it as a ringtone it just rings once and thats it. I wish you could make it loop for me with out some special software. Just want it to ring and ring until I answer.
    it took 2 yrs but here u go, lol
    LOL...nice job italiangspot
  19. zxt
    Thanks italiangspot
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I am having trouble getting renaming the file as a .mid file. It keeps saying that it is a palm database file no matter what I change the name to. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast