Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just read this this little blurb on a NYT article about PalmSource releasing it's Garnet smartphone focused OS:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/27/te...RPQaTW5wIcnZzQ

September 27, 2004
    Maker of Palm Software to Unveil Operating System for Smart Phones
    By JENNIFER L. SCHENKER
    International Herald Tribune

ARIS - PalmSource, the maker of the Palm operating system for hand-held devices, plans to announce tomorrow its first operating system designed specifically for smart phones - mobile phones that can run programs more typically found on desktop computers.

The operating system will include more cellphone-related technology as part of PalmSource's new strategy to focus more on phones. For example, Bluetooth wireless technology can already be used with the Palm operating system, but device manufacturers have to do a certain amount of technical work to make it function on a phone; now, Bluetooth is built in. (<<< Thanks Gawd! )<snip - KR>
    I do have to agree with the assestment that "PalmOne" missed the boat on wireless as exemplified by the paucity of wifi enabled devices that are available! However, I hope they don't make the same mistakes with the lead they've made with the Treo series. I triwireless Treo is definitely a must imo...

In regards to the possible 11 new PalmOS smartphones: I would guess 2-3 would be from PalmOne...that is the Treo 600, 650, and possible a higher end model. Then Samsung is known to have three models in the works including the i550, i530 and i500. Then of course there is GSPDA and Kyocera which is painfully due for an update to it's aging 7135 and Percomm, Hunetec who should have some Reflex based devices as well...

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 09/27/2004 at 01:12 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    what the heck is wi-max...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by seru
    what the heck is wi-max...

Read this:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6653

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Is wifi max the same as Airport Extreme (ie. 802.11g), which is about 5 times faster than 802.11b?
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    Is wifi max the same as Airport Extreme (ie. 802.11g), which is about 5 times faster than 802.11b?
    Nope. Wi-Max is a completely different protocol (802.16). I don't think it would be compatible with current 802.11x cards, but 802.16 has a range of over 30miles.
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
  6.    #6  
    Right, Wimax should be thought of as 'wireless broadband' to compete with traditional dsl/cable modem lines as well as UMTS etc...

7.    #7  
    Another news blurb from Engadget!

http://www.engadget.com/entry/7942727737326927/

...Garnet...
    Why are YOU calling this one Garnet?

...PalmSource, the maker of the Palm operating system for hand-held devices, plans to announce tomorrow its first operating system designed specifically for smart phones - mobile phones that can run programs more typically found on desktop computers...
    Hmmm...what happened to Garnet and Cobalt? I was under the impression that Garnet was for el-cheapo sorta-dumb devices (phones actually (*)) and Cobalt was for the creme-de-la-creme - now we're gonna get ANOTHER one?

=====

(*) Yes, TREOs use it (or its equivalent?) but, IMHO, only because Cobalt wasn't ready for prime time at the time.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 09/27/2004 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Added first question.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Hmmm...what happened to Garnet and Cobalt? I was under the impression that Garnet was for el-cheapo sorta-dumb devices (phones actually (*)) and Cobalt was for the creme-de-la-creme - now we're gonna get ANOTHER one?

=====

(*) Yes, TREOs use it (or its equivalent?) but, IMHO, only because Cobalt wasn't ready for prime time at the time.

No, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $is$ $basically$ $an$ $official$ $announcement$ $of$ $the$ $smartphone$ $focused$ $Garnet$ ($OS$ $5$.$x$) $version$ $of$ $PalmOS$. $As$ $quoted$ $from$ $the$ $Egadget$ $article$ $I$ $posted$ $above$:

The Treo obviously already runs on a customized-version of the Palm OS, but apparently they’re [PalmSource] adding all sorts of stuff to make it even more suitable, like BlackBerry-like email software, a new brwoser designed specifically for cellphone screens, and better support for Bluetooth and WiFi.
    Furthermore, Garnet (OS 5.x) is a proven and cheaper solution for lisencees than Cobalt at this time. I believe PalmSource is just trying to leverage Garnet as the cost-effective, nimble, smartphone focused platform while Cobalt will be for the higher-end more multimedia centric device... which does not mean there won't be Cobat powered smartphones in the future...just not in the very near future...

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Just read this this little blurb on a NYT article about PalmSource releasing it's Garnet smartphone focused OS:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/27/te...RPQaTW5wIcnZzQ

Also, I've cut/paste the entire article for those who do not a NYT registration (which is free btw! ).

I do have to agree with the assestment that "PalmOne" missed the boat on wireless as exemplified by the paucity of wifi enabled devices that are available! However, I hope they don't make the same mistakes with the lead they've made with the Treo series. I triwireless Treo is definitely a must imo...

In regards to the possible 11 new PalmOS smartphones: I would guess 2-3 would be from PalmOne...that is the Treo 600, 650, and possible a higher end model. Then Samsung is known to have three models in the works including the i550, i530 and i500. Then of course there is GSPDA and Kyocera which is painfully due for an update to it's aging 7135 and Percomm, Hunetec who should have some Reflex based devices as well...

Any thoughts?
    I have a thought...

11 phones?

They can't even get ONE right, so now it's 11?

As they said in "Karate Kid", "FOCUS DANIEL-SAN!"
    well, other companies are licensees, such as Samsung, Kyocera, etc.

PalmSource makes the OS, PalmOne makes the devices. They were forced to separate by the government
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I don't think it says 11 NEW smartphones, just 11 TOTAL.
    OK, so Palm are going to continue development of OS/5 as a 'smartphone' O/S? Why? I don't see why they can't stick any Palm O/S on a phone, create a phone app, a bluetooth app and a WiFi app to go with the hardware and bosh... you have a 'smartphone'.

I kow it's not that simple, but surely this is going to mean that compatibility problems are going to increase with OS/4, OS/5, OS/6(?), OS/5 smartphone ed, etc, etc. If they're going to release OS/6 with lots of new cool features, arn't the smartphone folks gonna want to have them?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds to me like Palm are trying to make us buy a smartphone AND a PDA!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I have a thought...

11 phones?

They can't even get ONE right, so now it's 11?

As they said in "Karate Kid", "FOCUS DANIEL-SAN!"
    Um, PalmSource != PalmOne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I don't think it says 11 NEW smartphones, just 11 TOTAL.
    i was thinking the samething. and that goes from past, present, and future pda phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    No, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $is$ $basically$ $an$ $official$ $announcement$ $of$ $the$ $smartphone$ $focused$ $Garnet$ ($OS$ $5$.$x$) $version$ $of$ $PalmOS$.
    The news is out - apparently the "new OS" is simply the not-yet-used-anywhere "old" OS, Cobalt, enhanced with the features that it should have had in the first place.

Of course, the cynic in me says they rushed Cobalt out the door to meet their December 2003 deadline fully knowing it was crippled at the time but...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Um, PalmSource != PalmOne.

They're all the same to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    The news is out - apparently the "new OS" is simply the not-yet-used-anywhere "old" OS, Cobalt, enhanced with the features that it should have had in the first place.

Of course, the cynic in me says they rushed Cobalt out the door to meet their December 2003 deadline fully knowing it was crippled at the time but...
    I don't think so partner

Cobalt is OS 6 for handhelds only
    Garnet is OS OS 5.x for smartphones.

The announcement appears to pertain to Garnet and OS 5.

I think that is good because many apps were re-written for OS 5 and it would really suck to have to wait again for apps to be compatible with OS 6

No commercially available handhelds have Cobalt yet
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    What you think doesn't matter - nor what I think. My sincerest apologies for not including a link to my info source for that post:

-- http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...msource_1.html

========

Here's another one just out:

-- http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040927/palms..._phones_1.html
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 09/27/2004 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added 2nd URL
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    PalmSource makes the OS, PalmOne makes the devices. They were forced to separate by the government
    Yes, yes, and Hmmmm - I think you need to do a little more Due Diligence.

Giggle.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast