Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    no, its not. Garnet is OS 5 and Cobalt is OS 6
    for all practical purposes 6.1 is just 5.0 that has WiFi and SD slot built in. To average user the OS behaves exactly the same way, it has the same look and feel, etc etc...

6.1 is a guarantee road kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Okey-Dokey. That's it. I'm sold on Cobalt (6.1). For me, no more Treo hardware upgrades from P1 until I find out PalmSource's SW licensing plans with other smartphone (hardware) carriers. Heck, I don't mind waiting! I just read this report from BargainPDA (apologies if it has been already posted)--complete with screen shots and Web links--and it really blew my socks off:
    http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2234

I'm already drooling in anticipation. Anybody else with me here?

Cheerio,
    Kevin
    all those are supposed to be out last January, not next January.
    The competitor are putting the next biggest thing to compete against PSP and nintendo while Palm is still making a big deal about WiFi and multitasking.
    That is rediculous, Cobalt is a complete redesigned multithreaded OS that will still run palm 68K apps. It was done to provide an excellant OS for hand held ARM devices into the future - and PalmSource is delivering it.

I think that you must be just a stock hustler - shorting PSRC - you have no idea what you are saying but it is all negative.
    Nonsense.

6.1 is what 6.0 was SUPPOSED to be but PalmSource released 6.0 WAY too soon and obviously because they had promised it to their shareholders for 2003. So they released a broken and crippled OS to meet their deadline and have now announced (released? I'm not sure!) the same thing all over again and added a coat of paint to make it look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by eioguy
    That is rediculous, Cobalt is a complete redesigned multithreaded OS that will still run palm 68K apps. It was done to provide an excellant OS for hand held ARM devices into the future - and PalmSource is delivering it.

I think that you must be just a stock hustler - shorting PSRC - you have no idea what you are saying but it is all negative.
    don't need to be a stock hustler to see the obvious shortcoming of POS 6.0. It may be a complete redesign, but if it quack like a duck, walks like a duck and looks like a duck. It's a duck.

6.0 behaves like 5.0, looks like 5.0 and performs as slow as 5.0. It's just spiffier 5.0 plus all the incompatibilities. (that famous 20% incompatibilities?)
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Cobalt will handle multi-tasking, whereas Garnet will not. This is the deal-killer for me with Garnet. I don't want to lose my internet connection when the phone rings, and I want to be able to put a phone call on hold, check something on the internet, and come back to the caller.
    And suskind, hurling gratuitous insults at palm's OS is just showing your ignorance and immaturity. Most people are willing to listen to an informed critic, if they can detect any sign of intelligence behind the criticism. You just come off as a smart aleck, or "troll".
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Nonsense.

6.1 is what 6.0 was SUPPOSED to be but PalmSource released 6.0 WAY too soon and obviously because they had promised it to their shareholders for 2003. So they released a broken and crippled OS to meet their deadline and have now announced (released? I'm not sure!) the same thing all over again and added a coat of paint to make it look better.
    I tend to agree with you. Unfortunately this is common practice in the software world for launching re-architectured products.
    we all remember the shape that Windows Xp was released in, and Longhorn has already been cut wayyyyy back too
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  9. sda
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Um, PalmSource != PalmOne.
    Palmsource does not = PalmOne

I consulted with Palm before the split a few years back. At that time it was painfully obvious that both arms of the company were at odds against each other while trying to accomplish similar goals (proliferation of their respective technologies). The government did not mandate a split...in fact the government wasn't involved. It was a smart management decision to finally let each company seek its own level. PalmOne is a licensee of the PalmSource OS's, just like Sony and the others. If Palm wants to transition to Symbian or PPC (though it would be a bad idea) they could, presuming no contractual obligations to remain PalmSource Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by sda
    Palmsource does not = PalmOne

I consulted with Palm before the split a few years back. At that time it was painfully obvious that both arms of the company were at odds against each other while trying to accomplish similar goals (proliferation of their respective technologies). The government did not mandate a split...in fact the government wasn't involved. It was a smart management decision to finally let each company seek its own level. PalmOne is a licensee of the PalmSource OS's, just like Sony and the others. If Palm wants to transition to Symbian or PPC (though it would be a bad idea) they could, presuming no contractual obligations to remain PalmSource Only.
    See the exclamation point in the quote there? Right next to the equals sign?
    Know what it means?
    Clearly not.

So get over consulting your Palm.
    The symbology != meaning "not equal" is from the domain of computer programming languages. It is not a common English idiom.
  12. sda
    Quote Originally Posted by YAHOOserious?
    See the exclamation point in the quote there? Right next to the equals sign?
    Know what it means?
    Clearly not.

So get over consulting your Palm.

I appreciate the clarification...but you need to get over yourself and have a bit of courtesy. Not everyone knows all the symbols...

Thanks!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123