Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Are we seeing in this announcement of Cobalt 6.1 a little bit of P1's rationale for not including WiFi in many of its devices? Why put the development effort into integrating WiFi support into a stream of PalmOS versions when built-in support is just around the corner? Sure, the T|C has WiFi, but that doesn't mean they've done it. They have to re-do the integration, so some degree or another, for each tiny change in the PalmSource product. Look at the size of the driver files for the new WiFi card.

IMO... Look for new devices in the spring running Cobalt 6.1 and with built-in WiFi.
    This is just a media trick to stop tanking stock in the past 2 days. Not only this announcement clearly muddle the garnet/cobalt roadmap. They can't even get a single model out on time with perfect execution and now they want to release 11 models.

And remember OS 5.0 was suppose to be released LAST year, and it's still nowhere in sight.

It's just PLMO changing tune again.
    my bad on both counts
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    This is just a media trick to stop tanking stock in the past 2 days....It's just PLMO changing tune again.
    While I personally agree with point one, point two is incorrect. PalmOS is PSRC's baby.

BTW - re point one - it didn't work w.r.t. PSRC...
    What OS will the 650 be getting? Anyone know for sure? Whatever it is, the clipboard better not have the 1 kb limit as on the T600.
    As some of you may know, I am currently in Munich at PalmSource's European Developer Conference where all of today's announcements have been coming from.

I will be reporting extensively on this between now and Thursday with exclusive reports, interviews and announcements. Among others I will be meeting with PalmSource's CEO and many members of his team, people from Orange and BlackBerry, Tapwave, PalmOne and other Palm OS licensees as well as a great many independent developers.

I strongly suggest that you read a little about the "PalmSource Installer Files" for which I saw a short demo earlier and can tell you that it's absolutely awesome... I'll be bringing a lot more about this particular application tomorrow and Wednesday...

Please let me know if there are any questions that you would like me to bring up with any of the people or companies here.

Cheers, W.
    Any guesses as to how long it takes them to release the first PalmOS device without a touch sensitive screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Any guesses as to how long it takes them to release the first PalmOS device without a touch sensitive screen?
    Why would you want that?

Seems like a step backward to me.
    Excellent point......I am guessing in the next 6 months. The much rumored Rowdy perhaps? My follow-up question is - how much will it cost? I am guessing $149 after carrier rebate.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    As some of you may know, I am currently in Munich at PalmSource's European Developer Conference where all of today's announcements have been coming from.

I will be reporting extensively on this between now and Thursday with exclusive reports, interviews and announcements. Among others I will be meeting with PalmSource's CEO and many members of his team, people from Orange and BlackBerry, Tapwave, PalmOne and other Palm OS licensees as well as a great many independent developers.

I strongly suggest that you read a little about the "PalmSource Installer Files" for which I saw a short demo earlier and can tell you that it's absolutely awesome... I'll be bringing a lot more about this particular application tomorrow and Wednesday...

Please let me know if there are any questions that you would like me to bring up with any of the people or companies here.

Cheers, W.

Thanks for your reporting and have fun!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Why would you want that?

Seems like a step backward to me.
    Two reasons: cheaper, and more durable. It also is the standard operating procedure for smartphones.
    If QDA-700 is what Cobalt looks like, Palmone will be dead by end of 2005. No question ask. It's a sure bet. buh bye P1. We hardly knew ye. RIP 1997-2005.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7168
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Furthermore, Garnet (OS 5.x) is a proven and cheaper solution for lisencees than Cobalt at this time. I believe PalmSource is just trying to leverage Garnet as the cost-effective, nimble, smartphone focused platform while Cobalt will be for the higher-end more multimedia centric device... which does not mean there won't be Cobat powered smartphones in the future...just not in the very near future...

So mister gfunk,
    what say you about QDA-700 with 2.8' QVGA screen, no thumbpad? may I laugh at you very hard now?

The Qool QDA-700 smartphone will be launched across multiple markets in Asia and Europe in November 2004.

-------

Now for my next prediction QDA-700 will flop hard. VERY hard. It's ugly, not enough support by OEM, weak marketing, under featured and weak OS support.
    KRamsauer: I thought I was in the majority thinking that if it doesn't have a touchscreen it's not a smartphone. That's my own sort of pseudo-definition and sure it's not perfect, but I find it better than most. A PalmOS without a touch screen is kind of hard to fathom for me.

Suskind: Cobalt doesn't look like a phone and more than Windows looks like a computer. Software and Hardware are different. Plus the phone you referenced looks based on Garnet, not Cobalt.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    If QDA-700 is what Cobalt looks like, Palmone will be dead by end of 2005. No question ask. It's a sure bet. buh bye P1. We hardly knew ye. RIP 1997-2005.

I think you got it WRONG. The link you provide says the QDA-700 runs GARNET not COBALT!
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Question asked to David Nagel, PalmSource CEO... Reply: From an OS perspective yes but from a hardware perspective this will naturally depend on the demands, needs and/or requirements of the PalmOS licensees (who will ultimately decide whether it is commercially interesting to launch such a device).

Question: Could Sony come back to the fold with a PalmOS smartphone?
    Answer: [excerpt] that remains a possibility in the future

Question not asked: Could Apple become a licensee - a Palm Powered Apple iPhone?

I can tell you that I am _extremely_ excited not only by the many announcements but also by the very strong team at PalmSource (trust me when I say that they're _really_ getting their act together).

More tomorrow... Cheers, W.
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    I think you got it WRONG. The link you provide says the QDA-700 runs GARNET not COBALT!
    same difference
    no, its not. Garnet is OS 5 and Cobalt is OS 6
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I think suskind stands corrected
    Okey-Dokey. That's it. I'm sold on Cobalt (6.1). For me, no more Treo hardware upgrades from P1 until I find out PalmSource's SW licensing plans with other smartphone (hardware) carriers. Heck, I don't mind waiting! I just read this report from BargainPDA (apologies if it has been already posted)--complete with screen shots and Web links--and it really blew my socks off:
    http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2234

I'm already drooling in anticipation. Anybody else with me here?

Cheerio,
    Kevin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast