For me, it's pretty much a deal breaker: whereas on a conventional cell phone, I can easily text message with one hand, no such luck on the T600. I have set up my frequent text-messengers as Favorites, so that takes care of the difficult task of trying to choose a contact from the drop down list. But the little keyboard is just not conducive to big fingers and one-handed hold and type. From Favorites-<TM addressee>-Menu-Edit-<Down>-<Down>-<Down>-<Down>-<Down>-<Down><Center> I can get to the virtual keyboard, but this is no bigger than the "real"one.

It seems to me that a great add-on would be to bring up the full-screen virtual dialpad and use it like a conventional phone uses its keys. The procedure exists, somewhat: when on an active call, you can bring up the virtual dialpad to type in passwords, sequences, etc. Why couldn't this be applied to make TMing easier?

This issue, and the inability to simply silence the phone (while leaving it available to take calls and record who called when), are the two major problems for me. I understand that there is (are) an app(s) to add a silent ringer (how many keystrokes are required to just silence the phone, though?), but is there a virtual dialpad?

Thanks
    You can silence the phone in one move and have it on vibrate by sliding the quiet switch on the top of the unit. The phone still takes calls; calls not answered go into call log or voicemail.

The phone is designed more for two hand typing, but I can operate with one in a pinch.
    are you saying you find it easier to text msg via a traditional keypad and T9 (or even the hated triple tap) to be easier than via the thumboard on the 600? If so, I'd say you have to be in the very small minority. Clarify pls. Thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    are you saying you find it easier to text msg via a traditional keypad and T9 (or even the hated triple tap) to be easier than via the thumboard on the 600? If so, I'd say you have to be in the very small minority. Clarify pls. Thx.
    With one hand, I do find even the triple tap to be easier than dealing with the tiny keyboard, yes. Does that put me in a distinct minority? With the larger numbers on the virtual dialpad, one-handed hold-and-type would be great for me. I was just asking if there is an app out there which does this, much like the built in ability to go from the active call screen to the big virtual dialpad with just a tap.

Thanks.
    i think i can type faster using the t9 on a SE z600 than on Treo600 with 2 hands. bc the small key pad space
    i dunno... my treo typing speed is fast approaching my regular typing speed. i use it for SMS so much (well over 2000 sent a month and all approaching that 160 char limit). i find that the lil keyboard is a godsend =)
    same here i love texting on my treo its the best phone in my mind that you can send a text on
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by mhic
    For me, it's pretty much a deal breaker: whereas on a conventional cell phone, I can easily text message with one hand, no such luck on the T600. I have set up my frequent text-messengers as Favorites, so that takes care of the difficult task of trying to choose a contact from the drop down list. But the little keyboard is just not conducive to big fingers and one-handed hold and type. From Favorites-<TM addressee>-Menu-Edit-<Down>-<Down>-<Down>-<Down>-<Down>-<Down><Center> I can get to the virtual keyboard, but this is no bigger than the "real"one.

It seems to me that a great add-on would be to bring up the full-screen virtual dialpad and use it like a conventional phone uses its keys. The procedure exists, somewhat: when on an active call, you can bring up the virtual dialpad to type in passwords, sequences, etc. Why couldn't this be applied to make TMing easier?

This issue, and the inability to simply silence the phone (while leaving it available to take calls and record who called when), are the two major problems for me. I understand that there is (are) an app(s) to add a silent ringer (how many keystrokes are required to just silence the phone, though?), but is there a virtual dialpad?

Thanks
    Can you rewrite your concerns in a 1,2-3 way so we can address them easier. I am having a hard time following your issues, thanks.

As far as silence the ring, I assume you mean the phone ringer, verses the tone for incoming SMS? If it is the phone, a simple tap of th etop power buton will do that. If you really want to get controll, try TreoGuard.Try the top power button meathod, very fast and easy, call yourself from a land line and try.

So far you have concerns with
    1. Hard to silence the ringer
    2. Hard to enter data
    let us know the rest and we'll try to give you some good options that may work for you.
    Some of the issues you are concerned with have been addressed by some very talented people. Have you looked at Call Filter or Call Shield? They both do an excellent job of handling SMS/telephone interaction. As for SMS, I frankly have no problem with it.

Setting the phone to be on/off at specific times can be handled via Call Filter/Call Shield via rules that amount to silencing the ringer, sending to voice mail, et cetera, at specific times. If you really want it off, take a look at Treo Helper or Treo Off/On. If killing the backlight is an issue, then try Treo Guard. The card loosing recogniation? Try Card Keeper 1.3.1 or whatever the latest release is.

As for the virtual keyboard, heck, I have looked at it only one time. I like the real one.

Ben