1.    #1  
    Hi,

I live in Australia and today my Treo 270 broke to near-death. (The screen has turned permanently blue though you can just barely make out the images, and the stupid hinge has been broken for a while now.)

I'm now faced with the dilemna.

Either I buy a Treo 600 now only to see the new 650 come out in a couple of months (although it would take another 6-12 months before the model is released locally). I don't particularly want to do that - I've spent enough time and money on the upgrade treadmill buying a new Palm V, Treo 180 and Treo 270 within months of their release.

Or, I buy a cheap handset for to tide me over until the 650 is released. This is what appeals to me more. I'm going to be visiting Hawaii around Thanksgiving as it so happens, so this could put me in a situation where I'm in the USA just as the 650 model is coming out.

To this end, can people help with the following question:

1) Are there any good retail outlets in or near Waikiki that would stock the 650 around this time?

2) Will the 650 GSM model work in Australia? I understand that I would need to buy an "unlocked" handset, ie one not tied to a single service provider.

3) Is the Palm guarantee an international one?

4) What are the chances of getting a good discount in a Hawaiian retail store so soon after release?

5) Any other issues or tips I should be aware of?

Thanks.
    Wordforge - political and current events discussion
    Mal,

I think you are right to get a temp phone and wait for the 650, although they just reduced the price of the Treo 600 from AU$1195 to AU$995 which I guess is in prediction of new model release. I can buy through a distributor and I could sell a T600 for AU$800 with full Australian warranty, shipped anyone in Australia.

In regards to your questions
    1) When the T600 was launched it was first available through carriers, you couldn't buy it direct and unlocked. That said one of them was unlocked think it was T-mobile you will have to wait till it launches

2) The GSM model will work in Oz as it is Quad band

3) Palm warranty is international

4) I doubt you will get much of a discount early as demand will be strong.

5) Another potential source is Singapore or Hong Kong which will probably also get it before Oz. Although not confirmed there may be a loyalty program to get the new model cheaper which they did when the T600 launched. But last time you needed a US shipping address to qualify. You will have to wait & see on that one.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    VBVBVB,

So will you be purchasing a T650? How will you get yours? Through a distributor, like you could/can for the T600?
    I am hanging/waiting on getting a T650, but again it needs to be unlocked etc etc. What do you reckon is going to be the best way to get one of these babies, without having to wait 6-12 months for them to arrive in Aus.? (With warranty and as close to the release date as possible.) What in AU$ do you think 1 will cost?
    Your comments are appreciated.

later,
    Marcus
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusV8
    VBVBVB,

So will you be purchasing a T650? How will you get yours? Through a distributor, like you could/can for the T600?
    I am hanging/waiting on getting a T650, but again it needs to be unlocked etc etc. What do you reckon is going to be the best way to get one of these babies, without having to wait 6-12 months for them to arrive in Aus.? (With warranty and as close to the release date as possible.) What in AU$ do you think 1 will cost?
    Your comments are appreciated.
    I will probably wait till they are available in Oz and buy through my distributor, unless I get very strong gadget envy I can supply others and do it pretty cheap but my bet is they make take a few months to get here so if you want quick you might be better off buying in US or Asia. They wait should be less than the T600 as it will be through Palmone this time and they will be keen to ship as many as possible.

I think it will be same price as T600 ie AU$995 unlocked outright purchase and that is how I will buy it. If it is the same margin I could sell at $800 as a bare bones sale.

But this is all just speculation. My supplier has 83 x T600s on backorder and another shipment of 600 pieces due 19 October. Who knows they might even be T650s, that would be nice!

Email direct if you like vikingbrad@nospam.gmail.com (Drop the nospam)

Cheers
    VikingBrad

pps Woohoo 100 posts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfourmed
    4) What are the chances of getting a good discount in a Hawaiian retail store so soon after release?
    Nothing in Hawaii is cheap (except maybe sunshine). I would think the price would be more in Hawaii than in the lower 48, and that soon after the release, there will probably be no deals to be had.
    Carl
    The Treo 600 is on special in Australia until 14th October so I expect the Treo 650 will be announced or available around that time. ps It is also in special in Hong Kong & Singapore with similar deadline

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    I have wondered if part of the improvement to the T650 would be in manufacturability and supply. I think I remember reading that Handspring/P1 was having a problem servicing the demand for the T600.

The T600 has been 'available' here for months and months but I have only ever seen one in one store (Harris Technology) and have never seen one in use.

After the rumours, I have hoped that P1 would forget about the T600 in Aus and ship us the T650.

Also, I was interested to read that Palm's share market dropped in Aus recently at a time when the Treo was a big seller for P1 overseas and there seemed to be scarce supply of the Treo here. If P1 cared about that result you would think they would try to fix supply...maybe with the T650?
    I may have the opportunity to get a T650 in Singapore in mid October.
    This will be tempting if a) the T650 is not out in Aus yet, or b) if it is much cheaper.

I know that OS there are different versions of the T600 not only because of spectrum differences. For instance, the T600 software update recently was released for different carriers.

Question:
    Would there be issues trying to use a Singaporean T650 in Aus?
    Last edited by GordonM; 09/28/2004 at 12:40 AM. Reason: whoops
    There should be no problem using a Singaporean T650 as long is it is unlocked ie not locked to a Singapore carrier. Although usually you can find unlock codes to get around that.

I think that the next big shipment to Australia will be T650s not T600s as it is due Oct 19 and the there was a rumour the manufacturer HTC was already shipping complete units a few weeks ago. Might be worth waiting to find out.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    It's against the law to lock a phone to a specific carrier in Singapore I believe. Thought you guys would like to know that.
    I'll bet the Treo650 is available in Singapore first too! I was passing through Singapore and picked up an iPAQ6315 (for work, not as a 650 substitute!) yesterday - not due in Aust until November..

VBVBVB, $I$'$d$ $also$ $be$ $interested$ $in$ $a$ $650$ $if$ $you$ $bought$ $a$ $batch$ $in$ $Aust$..

Cheers,
    James
    Someone informed Treo 650 will be released o/a 25/Oct. very soon. don't know when it can arrive Australia