1.    #1  
    After reading hundreds of posts, I have concluded that Treo 600 users on the Sprint network have all sorts of problems compared to the T600 Verizon users .....Same Phone. Why?
    Never had a problem with Sprint. In my opinion Verizon is one of the worst phone companys out there good network or not. Heres my experience with Verizon:

My wife left her job and we no longer needed her 1000 minute a month phone but since we were under contract paid the $40 a month and probably used 20-30 mins per month. One month we were on vacation and I honestly forgot to pay the $40 bill (which is somewhat understandable as the phone sat in our kitchen draw never being used).
    Well to cut a long story short we decided to end our contract early and get rid of the phone. Not only were we stung for late charges (we never used a single minute of the 1000 allowed!!!!) we also had to pay a $50 'reconnect fee' to connect back onto the network so that they would allow us to buy out our contract ($180) and get rid of the service.
    This whole experience was met with absolute indifference from the verizon reps who just chanted the mantra of 'extra fees' etc. I will NEVER bo business with Verizon again because of this. For all their defractors Sprint has always treated me fairly and the CS'ers arent too bad either. Just my 2c worth...
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magohn
    Not only were we stung for late charges (we never used a single minute of the 1000 allowed!!!!) we also had to pay a $50 'reconnect fee' to connect back onto the network so that they would allow us to buy out our contract ($180) and get rid of the service.
    Ugly, just ugly.

I've had (well documented) issues with Verizon, specific to the Treo. But, after many hours on the phone with many different tech / csr folks I *think* we've got all the issues ironed out. If you boil it down, it just seems like an education issue specific to the Treo with their people. Now that I've got a good working solution, I'm very happy with my service.

But, again, I stress you need to know what you're doing with the Treo before you sign up with Verizon because they certainly don't know what the thing is all about. As a result, you could end up, as many here can attest, with a $1000 bill for your first month.
    Sprint is better than Verizon.
    I've used them both - pretty much the same all around. Everyone's going to have different experiences. There are no hard and fast rules of 'this one is better than that one'.
    Verizon is better than Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I've used them both - pretty much the same all around. Everyone's going to have different experiences. There are no hard and fast rules of 'this one is better than that one'.
    Bingo! I've been with Sprint since 99. However, I've never used Verizon so I can't compare.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Don't overlook the fact that the phone has been out longer with Sprint. I was recently hit with the network search issue (sprint phone) but that was due to having a phone in the bad batch of ESNs (issued late in 2003/early 2004). For those who receive new phones on either network, I would expect similar experiences moving forward. Except, of course, Verizon users will be writing much larger checks for unlimited data usage and will likely have to wait longer for the 650,etc.
    Last edited by camartin; 09/26/2004 at 08:16 AM.
    yes its been out longer with 100's of problems that were ultimately resolved by the time VZW started selling. Maybe if the Sprints and ATTs of the world were more patient getting products out the door, they wouldn't have the sky high defect and return ratio that they currently see.

Ive owned both ATT and VZW Treo 600s and the VZW Treo is a rock-solid device. The ATT was garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by drake
    After reading hundreds of posts, I have concluded that Treo 600 users on the Sprint network have all sorts of problems compared to the T600 Verizon users .....Same Phone. Why?
    I have been here for a long time and don't have that conclusion.What kind of problems do these 'hundreds of posts' talking about? Also, VZW has have the treo since, what, three months? Sprint has had it since the Treo300.
    Just my 2-cents
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I have been here for a long time and don't have that conclusion.What kind of problems do these 'hundreds of posts' talking about? Also, VZW has have the treo since, what, three months? Sprint has had it since the Treo300.
    Just my 2-cents
    I'd also imagine that there are far more Treo 600 Sprint users than there are Verizon users as well. The comparison based on your judgement simply isn't fair. Yes, Verizon users started 8 months later than Sprint users. Even with that great lead time and improvements on Palm One's side, Verizon users have had their issues as well.

Ask yourself a few questions first. How many more Sprint users are there than Verizon users out there? How long has the phone been out for each provider? Actually, that would be a good poll for this board. Ask people which Treo provider they are with. I think you'll find almost as many Sprint users out there as all the other providers combined (in the US.) Otherwise I don't think you have enough information to make any determination.
    Y'all took the bait...

Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Yup. I agree -- I've been on SPCS (but not with the Treo) for several years and now with VZW. I might return to SPCS if I find the roaming on the VZW networks with voice and data acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    Ive owned both ATT and VZW Treo 600s and the VZW Treo is a rock-solid device. The ATT was garbage.
    I agree with this too. I tried the Treo 600 on AT&T also. Great battery life but the data features were not up to par with VZW.

Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    Maybe if the Sprints and ATTs of the world were more patient getting products out the door, they wouldn't have the sky high defect and return ratio that they currently see.
    Nah, we need accomodation for those of us who prefer to live on the bleeding edge. The ONLY reason I might wait on the Treo 650 is the customer service on both SPCS and ATT stinks. I will likely need them to help resolve data connection and synchronization issues. The 8 hours on the phone I spent on the phone with VZW resolving Wireless Sync issues would be 8 hours ON HOLD with SPCS and AT&T and 20+ hours getting bounced around to the right technical person.
    Last edited by Beryl; 09/26/2004 at 10:04 PM.
    I've been Treoing on Sprint for about 2.5 years....it's service here in L.A. has gotten much better. Big holes in coverage (like my HOME!)....it's much better now. Verizon has their new superspeed service coming to L.A. and that's a BIG attraction. I get wonderful low-speed Shoutcast streaming radio on the Sprint Treo (wow...listening to NYC radio in L.A.) but it would be much nicer if it got higher speed feeds, and the Verizon service promises that. Sprint has been very fair and helpful on billing and unit replacement issues.

Does anyone know if I can covert my Sprint Treo to Verizon? I raised this on a separate thread...sorry for the dupe...but if ya know, I'd appreciate knowing.
    been on Sprint 7 years...tried Verizon a couple years back, and they were shyte...made me realize how good Sprint is.
    you think that verizon is better then sprint?? check out the many posts about the many verizon treo customers getting the $1200+ first months bill because verizons network handles the data connections wrong... and because of that you are forced into a $45 unlimited data option.

ill stick to my faster unlimited vision data plan for $15. and unlimited SMS for $5
    Quote Originally Posted by takmsdsm
    you think that verizon is better then sprint?? check out the many posts about the many verizon treo customers getting the $1200+ first months bill because verizons network handles the data connections wrong... and because of that you are forced into a $45 unlimited data option.

ill stick to my faster unlimited vision data plan for $15. and unlimited SMS for $5
    Amen to that.
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  17. pkb
    yes its been out longer with 100's of problems that were ultimately resolved by the time VZW started selling. Maybe if the Sprints and ATTs of the world were more patient getting products out the door, they wouldn't have the sky high defect and return ratio that they currently see.
    This misunderstands the issue. The vast majority of Sprint users on here (including myself) are happy with it and glad that they got the Treo out early. VZW took so long getting the 600 out that no early adopter will even get a year out of their phone before the 650 comes out! That's not "prudent" that's incompetant slowness! Sometimes a bit slower is better. When you are talking as much slower as VZW was, combined with the vastly inferior data plans, you have a situation where VZW simply wasn't competitive in teh marketplace on the Treo 600 in any way.
    All cellphone companies suck.

I use sprint because they have the best data package for me. (unlimimted data and 2000 mins for less that $100)

But it really depends on your area. I have no problems up and down the east coast, though I do like the fact that GSM has a much better battery life. And Verizon does have a bigger network. But as long as I am not in the boonies, I can get a signal and my Treo600 has been working like a charm.
    me=sprint wife= t-moble 3000min @ $50.00 women do talk alot

oh and ive never really had a problem with sprint, verizion one day charged me for (you know i really never knew why i ended up oweing them oh well now im triing to deal with at&t to let me out of my contract because the service never really did work right if the service was out then it was the sms sevice was out any way stick with t-mo for GSM and stick with sprint for CDMA because of there data plans.
    Last edited by lonnielove; 09/28/2004 at 05:38 PM.