1.    #1  
    I dropped my treo from a height of maybe about a foot and a half. I didn't expect anything to be wrong with it. But now I get no mic function at all, the person on the other line hears nothing when I use the phone. OK maybe I busted the mic when I dropped it but then I attached the headset thinking that I could use the mic on the headset and would be able to use the phone until I could fix/replace my unit. Same thing, the person on the other line hears nothing.

So that rules out the mic itself being broken. But it also seems farfetched that something besides the mic could have been broken that prevents me from being heard when I speak through the treo mic or headset mic but that would leave the rest of the treo fully operational. Any ideas?
    The Treo and it's associated mic/speaker circuitry seem to work in mysterious ways. That is why developing a stereo headset that converted to a phone headset with the flip of a switch was so difficult (it took Sedio nearly seven months to get it right.)

The mic on the phone actually floats reasonable freely, and is not soldered to the circuit board, it has "brush leads" that make contact with the circuit board. It is easy to understand how a drop may dislodge the mic.

As for your headset problem, it is not beyond the relm of possibility that the dislodged mic may still be the culperate. The Treo senses whether there is a mic in the circuit by measuring the resistance across the headset. If the existing mic was part of that circuit, and it was expecting the added resistance (or not expecting an open circuit there) it seem logical that the Treo might not sense the presence of the headset, and therefor would not redirect the mic functions to it.

My advice: If you have your Treo under some insurance plan, or if you can con your cell carrier into beliveing that this should be covered under warantee, do so.

Failing that, get a small torx screw driver that will fit the screws that hold the back in place (you can buy such a tool at Radio Shack). Remove the back, making sure that you remember where all of the foamy-squishy things that keep the stylus in place go. Try and replace the back again, making sure that the mic is seated firmly on the circuit board.

Failing that, wait for a month or so, and buy an Ace/650, or a replacement for the 600 as they should be pretty cheap around then.
  3.    #3  
    hi druce thanks for the reply,

well i didn't do any of the above. i dropped it from the heigh of about 1 foot. it works fine now.
    I've been looking at buying one ... I've seen the postings on reliability; since I have 2 kids, I can see this getting dropped occasionally, which doesn't do anything to my LG cell phone ... how good / how bad is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by lu_hawk
    I dropped my treo from a height of maybe about a foot and a half. I didn't expect anything to be wrong with it. But now I get no mic function at all, the person on the other line hears nothing when I use the phone.
    I had the same thing happen to my first Treo. After about 1 month of use. Since the replacement, last January, I haven't had a single problem. (I also bought a better case, hehehe)

Will
    I dropped my beloved Treo 600 and now neither the mic nor a headset allows the person on the other end to hear me. Does anyone know of a place that repairs Treo 600 out of warranty. The unit is perfect and I hate to have to buy a new one! Thanks SO much! Jothie
    You probably just wrecked the mike. Simple as that. You can always buy a free handset mic. Which is also very helpful in the car.