1.    #1  
    I have read a few posts about Treo 600 owners' success with magnetic mounts. Can those who have been using a magnetic mount comment on the experience. Any problems with the Treo or SD card? Any input is welcome.
    I modified a cradle and added a magnet for extra security for my car. This allows me to charge (and i even synched to my laptop once) in the car, have the phone readily visible, and right at hand as i get in and out. I am a little worried about it being so close to the window on the occasions that i have the window rolled down but the magnet does not seem to have negatively impacted the operation of the phone or the card. (As i understand it, the card shouldn't be affected since it does not record data the same way a floppy disc does.)

Check out my mod here.
    Got 4 of them for a buck apiece on clearance at Walgreens. VERY VERY strong hold on the phone and the piece that goes on the phone is very discrete and actually looks good on it..just a very slim piece of metal with a sticky back.
    I have these magnets (small circles) everywhere I use the phone and they work GREAT!!! I put the extra backing strips on my other phones etc so that they can be attached if ever needed.
    I have detailed files.
    I use the "desk cradle" in my car too and works great, I have it attached to the centr console on my Grand Prix and by default the cradle holds T600 securely and even charges it while I am driving......

Only thing its missing is to be able to plug in my earpiece while its in the cradle.....any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    cool mount but....
    I live in Arizona. no way in hell Im giving up even 1 small A/C vent lol
    Would you guys really trust a magnetic mount? I have never tried one. I have a mount using the vent. Granted, it's pretty annoying coz I'm loosing some AC.
    This is how I have mine, just wish I could plug in my headset while its in the cradle and I'd be set....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here is a pic of my magnetic mount that I created:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...achmentid=3246

I used a couple of rectangular magnets stuck onto an L-bracket. I took a piece of fake leather that matched my interior (look around your house, you'll find plenty of things that can be cut up for this), and folded it over the bracket. I stuck the uncovered end into a seam on my dash. Initially, it moved around to freely, so I removed the adjacent component and stuck a couple of screws in it.

Here is a side view:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...achmentid=3247
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    Only thing its missing is to be able to plug in my earpiece while its in the cradle.....any suggestions?
    Check this out: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=56513

Its a mount made by a member of this board. I just exchanged 10 or so emails with him last night. The end result was a completely tailored solution that will fit my needs perfectly for around $100. I have yet to receive the unit, but based on the level of support already shown to this point I'm sure it will be exactly what I'm hoping for.

Edit: Not to speak for him, but he has indicated via past posts that he would be willing to take your current cradle and alter it to your needs. That might save you a few bucks...
    GalenMD - looks very cool! Did you say you had to open the dash to secure it?

yitzchakis1 - how is your cradle anchored and what model did you use?

Treominator - do you have a pic or a link to the one you use?
    Hi Jason,

I just sent you a pic of the finished cradle and will ship it today.
    Let me know how it works out in the install.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonWilliam
    Check this out: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=56513

Its a mount made by a member of this board. I just exchanged 10 or so emails with him last night. The end result was a completely tailored solution that will fit my needs perfectly for around $100. I have yet to receive the unit, but based on the level of support already shown to this point I'm sure it will be exactly what I'm hoping for.

Edit: Not to speak for him, but he has indicated via past posts that he would be willing to take your current cradle and alter it to your needs. That might save you a few bucks...
    yitzchakis1, you can get my cradle to get that feature plus lots more. For a car kit I still recommend the one Galen MD has which he bought from me, together with a magnetic mount, is a killer solution that won't go obsolete when the 650 comes out. With my car kit, you get great sounding MP3 playback and speakerphone with external mic thru your car stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    This is how I have mine, just wish I could plug in my headset while its in the cradle and I'd be set....
    zehubert, trust it like there's no tomorrow. Go to home Depot and pick up the 2 pack bar magnet and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by zehubert
    Would you guys really trust a magnetic mount? I have never tried one. I have a mount using the vent. Granted, it's pretty annoying coz I'm loosing some AC.
    I've been using a Pro-Fit VSM clip for my car with a Bell brand magnetic mount attached for several months - works great, holds the Treo with no need to stick anything to your phone. I got the Bell mount in the automotive section at WalMart for about $7 - it was designed to mount in the cig lighter (not charge, just sticks in there) but you can easily remove the mounting piece. Then stuck it to the Pro-Fit clip with double sided tape. Looks good, works great, all my treo-packing friends that ride with me are jealous (and that's what matters, isn't it? )

I've had skeptics *attempt* to "erase" SD cards by rubbing them on this thing the way you used to erase floppies with a magnet - different technology - it just doesn't work that way.

Paul
    Here is a fun article that expresses this myth (as well as others) a bit more formally, and does a fairly good job to discounting it: http://msn.pcworld.com/msn/article/0...72,pg,1,00.asp

PS: It also talks briefly about cell phone use on planes...

Steve, thanks for the pic! Looks great! I've attached it here for some that may want to see your handywork. For those looking, please keep in mind I asked for the mods pictured and therefore there is a more rough look to the device that is probably deserving.
    Attached Images Attached Images