Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all -

Unlike many, I don't mind the LED. But recently, I've been getting some unusual behavior. I looked on PalmOne's site, but their key for what the LED is doing doesn't contain this:

When my Treo600 is charging, the LED alternates Red/Green blinks.

Is this related to the fact that the unit hasn't been holding a charge very well lately?

Peace.

Joel
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Seems a good assumption. How old is your unit? The Sprint Customer SErvice people told me that the batteries are only good for about 400 charges, which, if you charge every night, would be about a year or so.
    jg70124,

I hope you're not right. If the Treo was designed to "die" after 400 charges, what a waste of my $400.

Now I really have to think if I want a Treo 650 or another platform Smartphone.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Dave
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    It's a limitation of the battery technology, not of the Treo. The battery on my Sony laptop, for instance, only lasted around 2 years before I needed to replace it - and it's more than twice the size of the Treo's battery.

FWIW, the 650 will have a removable (and presumably) replaceable battery.
    joel,

Just a thought.

Have you tried to do a soft-reset? My Treo 600 wouldn't charge fully to 100% because the internal % indicator was incorrect. I fixed it by doing a soft-reset and my phone now charges to 100%.

It wouldn't hurt.

Dave
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    ANd one other point - Sprint replaced my treo under the warrantee when I started experiencing battery-related problems (network search).
    Yea rule of thumb is that you want to fully discharge the battery whenever you can. I don't charge from Friday to Sunday...
    That isn't correct. Search for detailed description of the treos battery by user "arcbody". He has detailed info in this area. I'd link the post but am posting from my treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    That isn't correct. Search for detailed description of the treos battery by user "arcbody". He has detailed info in this area. I'd link the post but am posting from my treo.

You may want to check that. battery limitations have been known for quite sometime... while i hope your right i tend to think that the treo battery is architectually no different then any other

-cheers
    with Li ion batteries you always want to keep them topped up.. Ni-Cad, Ni-MH batteries have the memory effect problem...
    You need to keep the battery charged as much as possible
  12.    #12  
    Thanks to all for this lively discussion.

How about the original question - "what does an alternating red/green LED mean?"

Peace.

Joel
    I would bet you have battery trouble. Try taking it in and getting it tested. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I would bet you have battery trouble. Try taking it in and getting it tested. Good luck!
    Agreed
    There is a replacement battery available now for about $50 if I remeber correctly. There is a thread on this about 1 month ago on mytreo
    Alternating red/green does not necessarily mean a battery problem - mine has done that and a soft reset (as suggested earlier) stopped it. My battery continues to charge to 100% and hold it's power very well. You should not drain and recharge the Treo's battery, read the manual, it says to keep it topped off as much as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    It's a limitation of the battery technology, not of the Treo.
    it is al limitation of the treo that the battery is not easily replaceable.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Fully discharging a LiPo or Li Ion battery actually hurts it instead of helps it. Below a certain voltage per cell it begins to self destruct or loose capacity. As stated above, this type doesnt have the memory effect and charging more is better.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnitti
    Yea rule of thumb is that you want to fully discharge the battery whenever you can. I don't charge from Friday to Sunday...
    Do that and your battery probably will only last for 400 charges
    www.gsmworld.com
    i just found out my "new" replacement has the famous battery problem -- blinks green / red while the charge cable is hooked up.

i did a soft-reset as suggested by ttrundle. It seems the light stays in red rather than blinks green /red.
    i will check it out tomorrow morning and see if it charges up ok or not. otherwise, time to call P1 for another replacement.

off topic question: i applied a BoxWave (name??) screen protector on Treo, how can I life it up and clean it? in case of i need to send the defective back to P1, i want to get my boxwave back too. it is the brand new one i just put on last friday. the original defective unit was sent back to P1 on Monday with my old boxwave screen protector
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast