Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Read all about it here. Wouldn't it be great if the T650 had this? :-)

Thanks,
    Peter
    It sure would!
    My god, I would need a magnifying lens to read anything on that screen. . .
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

palmOne would make a killing selling accessory magnifying glasses. :-)
    ooo, just like the old gameboys!
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    My god, I would need a magnifying lens to read anything on that screen. . .

It would just make things sharper, almost print quality. It doesn't mean the fonts would have to be that small!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    heh, can the human eye even tell at that high of dpi?

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    certainly can! although start pushing it too much further it then becomes a bit of a pi$$ing contest!

640x480 on a 2.2" screen would make fonts VERY smooth!

Although to me that screen is getting a bit small for a pda/phone I would prefer 630x480 on say a 3.5" screen, which already exists in PDA just not a combined pda/phone yet, although if phone makers start using Hi-DPI screens in phones, it will help push this along a bit!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    There are certain improvements that are really needed but some that are not.

Going from 160 x 160 to 320 x 320 is very important. Above that is only for perfectionists. You can see a picture at 320 x 320 but not at 160 x160.

That is why the 650 is so exciting. The new camera will be usable, same with the new resolution. And it is still the only solid, one handed device out there. All other devices I've seen miss the point. Too big, too flimsy, to strechty, no keyboard, etc.
    If I bought a Treo 650 yesterday, and a version came out with a VGA display, I'd go buy it again that same day.

Accessing a terminal server on the phone becomes a viable option. Browsing standard web sites can be done with acceptable quality. Reading Ebooks and technical documentation would be great with higher-rez true-type fonts. Surely games at this rez wouldn't be a bad thing. Viewing photos would be beautiful

Its easy to say higher rez is only for perfectionists if you still see your Treo as just a phone. In my opinion, its yet another step toward replacing many more of the functions I use my laptop for. Especially since the whole point of the article is to say that they've managed to do it without changing the physical size of the screen, and without increasing the power consumption on the device.

Sign me up.

-Joshua
    They could make an accessory magnifying glass...but would it be compatible?
    Well it's not until 600dpi that you begin to get to nice quality print, so i say bring it on!

TM
    640x480 on 2.2" is around 300dpi. Every single glossy printed magazine that you read has this kind of resolution. I does not mean that we will still use a 1 pixel width font, but rather than the content can be smooth and clear.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    300 dpi would be great for graphics, but totally unnecessary for text. I think/hope they will upgrade the screen again when they bring out true multi-tasking phones. What's the use of a web-browsing phone if you lose the connection to the website when the phone rings?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    What's the use of a web-browsing phone if you lose the connection to the website when the phone rings?
    Who says? I don't loose the connection (wifi) on my XDA II when the phone rings!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Yeah, but last I heard, the XDA II is not a Palm. Cobalt is a multi-tasking OS; Garnet is not.
  17.    #17  
    640x480 is just starting to get acceptable for web browsing. What I'd love is a 2"x3" screen, with a virtual (but texturized) keyboard on the screen ... ie. the bottom part would still be screen & clear, but it would have clear keyboard keys ... oh and no frame, just all screen.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Yeah, but last I heard, the XDA II is not a Palm. Cobalt is a multi-tasking OS; Garnet is not.
    And since when did Palm have 640x480 PDAs or Phones? I thought we were talking more generally, esp as PPC already has 640x480 PDAs, and I'm sure PDA/Phones (PPC) with 2.2" 640x480 screens will be around before Palm ones!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    And since when did Palm have 640x480 PDAs or Phones? I thought we were talking more generally, esp as PPC already has 640x480 PDAs, and I'm sure PDA/Phones (PPC) with 2.2" 640x480 screens will be around before Palm ones!
    I thought we were talking about "wouldn't it be great if a Treo had this screen".
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    mmmm, fair enough, I think it will be a long wait!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast