Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think a major reason Sprint is putting off the Treo Ace until late November is because it sounds like the same time it will begin rolling out higher-bandwidth wireless web access... since a bluetooth device + Sprint Vision is a no-go as of now.
    Who said Sprint and Bluetooth is a no go? I guess you never heard of the Sony-Ericsson T608. It isn't surprising, as Sprint themselves have not really publicized the phone, but it has and still is available through their telesales organization.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Does the T608 have handsfree profile?
    The 608 was a failure and Sprint only sold them because they had a stock of them sitting in a warehouse. The daxian which is due out soon and the 650 are going to be the first real bluetooth phones that sprint has put out.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Who said Sprint and Bluetooth is a no go? I guess you never heard of the Sony-Ericsson T608. It isn't surprising, as Sprint themselves have not really publicized the phone, but it has and still is available through their telesales organization.
    Exactly, they didn't publicize it and they no longer really support it. Also, as of now, if they know that you have a device that can be used as a modem (i.e. any bluetooth device), they wont offer your any Vision packs... so my point was, now with the first high-profile bluetooth devices being released for sprint, they may be waiting to launch it together with their updated, higher-bandwidth wireless web technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    I think a major reason Sprint is putting off the Treo Ace until late November is because it sounds like the same time it will begin rolling out higher-bandwidth wireless web access... since a bluetooth device + Sprint Vision is a no-go as of now.

What does Bluetooh have to do with anything?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    What does Bluetooh have to do with anything?
    Bluetooth makes it simple to use your device as a modem to connect to the internet, especially on an unlimited vision plan, and as of now that would bog down the entire network.
    Does the T608 have handsfree profile?
    --------------------------------------------

Yes it does!
    Bluetooth makes it simple to use your device as a modem to connect to the internet, especially on an unlimited vision plan, and as of now that would bog down the entire network.

Sorry. I thought bluetooth was new technology to eliminate wires for peripherals. At least that's what I read.

Could you explain bluetooth a little further for me.

Thanks......
    bluetooth is a very awkward technology, the basics is that it is a method of transmitting data wirelessly. But how the data is processed for tranmission and after reception is what the profiles are for. Just because something has bluetooth, doesn't quite mean that it'll support all the profiles. Mhich tends to lead to a lot of marketing gimmicks since not everyone realizes this.

There is a lot of worry that sprint may disable all but say the headset profile so that the only thing that the bluetooth is good for is using wireless headsets with it. So no wireless syncing and no handsfree use in a car. But we really don't know and it's a waiting game.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    What is this higher bandwidth access?? According to our corporate Sprint rep EV-DO won't be ready for nationwide rollout until maybe the end of '05 and EV-DV in '06-'07.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    bluetooth is a very awkward technology, the basics is that it is a method of transmitting data wirelessly. But how the data is processed for tranmission and after reception is what the profiles are for. Just because something has bluetooth, doesn't quite mean that it'll support all the profiles. Mhich tends to lead to a lot of marketing gimmicks since not everyone realizes this.

There is a lot of worry that sprint may disable all but say the headset profile so that the only thing that the bluetooth is good for is using wireless headsets with it. So no wireless syncing and no handsfree use in a car. But we really don't know and it's a waiting game.
    I called Sprint today and they said that the Treo 650 will be released in October now!

What do you mean by "hands free use in a car"...?

Now I am confused....I have Verizon and want to switch to Sprint for the Treo 650. But are you telling me that Verizon and Sprint could actually have different bluetooth "services"? That makes a big difference in the carrier you use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    What do you mean by "hands free use in a car"...?
    with the hands-free profile enabled, a bluetooth phone can actually integrate with the audio, video, and steering wheel controls of a bluetooth equipped car. in my case a toyota prius but there are plenty of others. voice dial, sound through the audio system, transfer of phone books are all possible with the correct bluetooth implementation.

this has to be part of the future of cel phone technology. in my last car, a buick, i had onstar personal calling, which worked great and allowed me to voicedial calls and talk through the radio and a built-in mic. but my car had it's own phone number and separate (higher) per minute rates.

the bluetooth solution (or whatever comes next, since bluetooth has not proved that great as noted above) has to be part of the next wave. maybe bluetooth 2 or something, but this is a great start so hopefully the 650 will support it.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons12
    with the hands-free profile enabled, a bluetooth phone can actually integrate with the audio, video, and steering wheel controls of a bluetooth equipped car. in my case a toyota prius but there are plenty of others. voice dial, sound through the audio system, transfer of phone books are all possible with the correct bluetooth implementation.

this has to be part of the future of cel phone technology. in my last car, a buick, i had onstar personal calling, which worked great and allowed me to voicedial calls and talk through the radio and a built-in mic. but my car had it's own phone number and separate (higher) per minute rates.

the bluetooth solution (or whatever comes next, since bluetooth has not proved that great as noted above) has to be part of the next wave. maybe bluetooth 2 or something, but this is a great start so hopefully the 650 will support it.

Gotcha! Interesting.....That is pretty cool!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76
    What is this higher bandwidth access?? According to our corporate Sprint rep EV-DO won't be ready for nationwide rollout until maybe the end of '05 and EV-DV in '06-'07.
    http://www3.sprint.com/PR/CDA/PR_CDA...112098,00.html
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Cool. Seems to match what I was told. Thanks.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    That was a useful link! If you read the pdf showing their rollout schedule, it says EV-DO rollout is 2004-06. For most people, phone usage is local, not national, so I wanna know, when is it coming to Minnesota!
    the big question I have is other than wireless headset, how does bluetooth impact my daily usage of the device. What I'm driving at is.....I'm assuming that once the 650 comes out the price of the 600 drops, significantly. So, if there is say a $300 difference in price between the 600 and the 650, is bluetooth that valuable.

I know there are other changes, higher screen res, better camera(big woop!) and faster processer, but it seems the Bluetooth is the big deal.

Thoughts?

Norrin
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    It will probably debut in Minnesota in 2050.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd
    the big question I have is other than wireless headset, how does bluetooth impact my daily usage of the device. What I'm driving at is.....I'm assuming that once the 650 comes out the price of the 600 drops, significantly. So, if there is say a $300 difference in price between the 600 and the 650, is bluetooth that valuable.

I know there are other changes, higher screen res, better camera(big woop!) and faster processer, but it seems the Bluetooth is the big deal.

Thoughts?

Norrin
    Obviously, if you aren't aware of what can be done with bluetooth, then it is not a reason for you to upgrade. However, some attractive features of bluetooth include wireless hotsyncing and file transferring and the ability to use a wireless headset. You can also use your Treo as a wireless modem in conjunction with a PDA or laptop.

EDIT: The hi-res screen alone would be enough for me to justify an upgrade.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast