Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    EDIT: The hi-res screen alone would be enough for me to justify an upgrade.
    Same here.
    ... You can also use your Treo as a wireless modem in conjunction with a PDA or laptop.
    I doubt it. Neither Sprint or Verizon will let you do that. It is a marketing decision rather than a technical one. That (wireless modem) would kill their PCS card for laptop program which you pay $80 a month. They would provide you 'Profiles' to support basic BT functions like headset, handsfree, GPS, printer,etc. The BT function is as good as the profiles provided. The following link will give you some ideas about the Profiles:
    https://www.bluetooth.org/spec/

Vendors and carriers can decide how many BT functions you can have by offering different Profiles. You can't just download them at will either. They are usually built into ROM.

Another good resource about BT is: http://www.bluetooth.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mcyang
    I doubt it. Neither Sprint or Verizon will let you do that. It is a marketing decision rather than a technical one. That (wireless modem) would kill their PCS card for laptop program which you pay $80 a month. They would provide you 'Profiles' to support basic BT functions like headset, handsfree, GPS, printer,etc. The BT function is as good as the profiles provided. The following link will give you some ideas about the Profiles:
    https://www.bluetooth.org/spec/

Vendors and carriers can decide how many BT functions you can have by offering different Profiles. You can't just download them at will either. They are usually built into ROM.

Another good resource about BT is: http://www.bluetooth.com
    I am currently using my T608 as a wireless modem over bluetooth. It's against the TOS, but I am willing to take my chance on my ~50MB/month usage. Almost every single phone being released nowadays has a cable that can be purchased to allow it to be used as a modem through #777.

I agree it's most likely a marketing decision, but companies CAN NOT tell consumers what we want and need in our devices - especially as a relatively small company such as SPCS.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i will buy the Treo 650 and they will take my unlimited vision away over my their cold dead body
    I am currently using my T608 as a wireless modem over bluetooth. It's against the TOS, but I am willing to take my chance on my ~50MB/month usage. Almost every single phone being released nowadays has a cable that can be purchased to allow it to be used as a modem through #777.

I agree it's most likely a marketing decision, but companies CAN NOT tell consumers what we want and need in our devices - especially as a relatively small company such as SPCS.
    The Nokia pohnes have #777 diasbled. Complete suckfest.

Many people used their Treo's as wireless modems. Works fine.
    Same for the folks using Hitachi, Sanyo, and Samsung phones.

If Sprint gets orgerish about it, people will switch.

If they get rid of unlimited Vision on my phone, I am gone. No reason to stick around.
    mikec, we are in complete agreement.

BTW, the Nokias don't even have Vision capabilities, so no surprise they can't be used as modems.
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons12
    with the hands-free profile enabled, a bluetooth phone can actually integrate with the audio, video, and steering wheel controls of a bluetooth equipped car. in my case a toyota prius but there are plenty of others. voice dial, sound through the audio system, transfer of phone books are all possible with the correct bluetooth implementation.

this has to be part of the future of cel phone technology. in my last car, a buick, i had onstar personal calling, which worked great and allowed me to voicedial calls and talk through the radio and a built-in mic. but my car had it's own phone number and separate (higher) per minute rates.

the bluetooth solution (or whatever comes next, since bluetooth has not proved that great as noted above) has to be part of the next wave. maybe bluetooth 2 or something, but this is a great start so hopefully the 650 will support it.
    That's exactly what I've been waiting for. I have the new Acura TL that has the Bluetooth technology built in. But I have the T600 (no hope of Bluetooth). I understand that not all Bluetooth systems are alike so I wonder how I determine if my car will accept the T650 (not in manual). Any guesses?
    Beantown,

My T608 works wonderfully with my TL bluetooth. The most important thing to look for in your next phone is the handsfree profile for bluetooth. This is needed for the in-car bluetooth systems.

Once the mass majority of people are exposed to bluetooth, it will become a must have. A lot of people knocking bluetooth as an outdated technology don't know anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    That's exactly what I've been waiting for. I have the new Acura TL that has the Bluetooth technology built in. But I have the T600 (no hope of Bluetooth). I understand that not all Bluetooth systems are alike so I wonder how I determine if my car will accept the T650 (not in manual). Any guesses?
    There is compatible phone list on the Acura web site:

http://www.acura.com/models/model_co...ule=tl&bhcp=1#

Click on the Handsfree Link.
    DaMan and mcyang - thank you both for the thoughtful replies and the link. I appreciate you taking the time to help. I hope to see the T650 on Acura's list of compatible phones real soon.
  11.    #31  
    mikec, we are in complete agreement.

BTW, the Nokias don't even have Vision capabilities, so no surprise they can't be used as modems.

My Nokia 6225 is a vision phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    My Nokia 6225 is a vision phone
    My bad, I haven't been keeping up with newer phones. How do you like that phone overall?

beantown, you're quite welcome. Much love from NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    bluetooth is a very awkward technology, the basics is that it is a method of transmitting data wirelessly. But how the data is processed for tranmission and after reception is what the profiles are for. Just because something has bluetooth, doesn't quite mean that it'll support all the profiles. Mhich tends to lead to a lot of marketing gimmicks since not everyone realizes this.

There is a lot of worry that sprint may disable all but say the headset profile so that the only thing that the bluetooth is good for is using wireless headsets with it. So no wireless syncing and no handsfree use in a car. But we really don't know and it's a waiting game.
    The only options on the Sprint T650 are hands-free (headset or car kit) and hotsync.
    Quote Originally Posted by cahsdad
    The only options on the Sprint T650 are hands-free (headset or car kit) and hotsync.
    May I ask how you can make such a definitive statement?

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw your other post.
  15.    #35  
    My bad, I haven't been keeping up with newer phones. How do you like that phone overall?

beantown, you're quite welcome. Much love from NY
    I love it as far as phone functionality goes... it's fully stocked.. FM radio, great web access, java, sms, fully changeable housing.. great screen and camera.. only down side is battery talk time, it sucks.

I'll be keeping my Nokia once I get the Treo 650 for perhaps weekend getaways and other times when I wont be needing a PDA.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    No bluetooth use of the phone as a modem (in a pinch) and I won't buy one -- period. If they need to add a 20/month add on in addition to the basic cost of vision to give unlimited use plus bluetooth modem, i'd certainly pay for it. 80 bucks is a bit steep, though, as even ATT wireless is less than that and theirs is really expensive.... sprint, don't screw this one up....
    It will be entertianing to see if it was palmone or sprint that castrated the bluetooth. easy way to tell, I think, will be to see what profiles are on the other bluetooth phones that are comming out like the daxian or the new samsung phone.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by cahsdad
    Did you have another device, like your home PC, scan the 650 for available services? Or did you just check the bluetooth info provided on the 650 itself?
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12