Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Morgan Stanley analyst Arindam Basu wrote in a research note Tuesday that he anticipates strong second-quarter results from palmOne.

Mr. Basu said, however, that beyond that quarter, "we are concerned about emerging smartphone competition from traditional mobile-phone manufacturers, lack of a Treo 600 product roadmap and declining growth prospects in the [ personal-digital-assistant] market."
    Hmm, I wonder what this means for the 650?
    That "lack of a Treo 600 product roadmap" comment is typical analyst speak for a non-coherent product line. If I had to guess, the analysts realize that PalmOne has to move to being a mobile communications company and they are looking for a multi-year product plan, which he apparently didn't find. They don't expect to learn trade secrets, but where is the line going.

As for the competition from more traditional mobile phone makers, it looks like Motorola, Nokia and Samsung are on the march.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  3.    #3  
    I hope PalmOne wakes up. With Sony out of the US market, PalmOne needs to increase their customer base by innovating and leading, rather than creating "also ran" type products. For some this would be to make sure the products have BlueTooth and WiFi, more RAM than the competition, better screen than the competition, etc.

I really love my Treo 600, but I would gladly upgrade to a product that solved the few compromises (screen, RAM, BT, etc.)
    I completely agree with jimbear.
    I don't understand why palmone doesn't take the cutting edge postion vs devices with second place components installed.
    they make great devices, but you'd think a major league company with publicly traded shares would want to keep the value of their shares by putting out the best devices with the latest technology in them.
    I don't know why. im sure there is a good reason, there are intelligent people running palmone. but as a fan looking in, it kind of makes me wonder.
    I think their problem is marketing. The products are good, but they constantly refuse to admit they have products in the pipeline or when they will be released. How else do you explain the best convergence device in the market, worldwide adoption, another on the way, strong non phone sales and 62% increase in revenue and a drop from near $40/share to under $30?
    that's a good point david. I think you're right regarding their marketing style. its true. maybe they don't cause the buzz around emerging devices that they should. the up and coming T5 and treo 650 WILL be solid hits. I am just hoping they stay on the cutting edge - the competition is beginning to step up.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    that's a good point david. I think you're right regarding their marketing style. its true. maybe they don't cause the buzz around emerging devices that they should. the up and coming T5 and treo 650 WILL be solid hits. I am just hoping they stay on the cutting edge - the competition is beginning to step up.

treo 650 will be a tepid hit because it doesn't offer high end feature.
    not sure about T5. Nobody has published spec yet.
    Is not their marketing.
    It is their management.

They really are pathetic, and have destroyed their chances of making money for shareholders.

They have no clue what business they are in.

They need to sack management, marketing, some product management, kill some device lines, and whack the dead wood.
    Maybe then they will have a chance.
    Slow product development seems to be a major problem. We should have had the treo 650 6 months ago, and now be waiting for a wifi 480 x 320 flagship model, with the Treo 600 being the cheap intro model.

Surely adding bluetooth and a hi-res screen is a minor tweak rather than a development of a major new product (especially if it's true that the Treo 600 was designed with space for bluetooth to be added). (A minor tweak that will make the product far more useful).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Is not their marketing.
    It is their management.

They really are pathetic, and have destroyed their chances of making money for shareholders.

They have no clue what business they are in.

They need to sack management, marketing, some product management, kill some device lines, and whack the dead wood.
    Maybe then they will have a chance.
    I think we need to differentiate the company/management from the stock price, especially in the short term. It is true that, in the long run, well-managed companies' stocks will go up in value. However, there are simply too many factors involved in the short term to judge a management's effectiveness by the company's stock price.

Case in point: CommerceOne. This company was once valued at $20 billion plus, and it is now about to go out of business. Enron is another good example. This is a company that was proclamined as the most innovative company in the world only 4-5 years ago. The management could simply do no wrong.......I guess you know the rest of the story.

I am not making any excuses for the P1 management, but it is unfair to judge a management simply based on short-term stock price performance.
    look at stock price since it's IPO.
    Dismal.

They had a chance to be the next MS, and blew it.

Long term? Palm will not be in business in 10 years, so there is no long term.

bottom line: P1 mgmt is shyte, near term or long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec

They had a chance to be the next MS, and blew it.
    You are confusing P1 with Palmsource. P1 is mainly a hardware-oriented company. P1 today is more like Compaq in its early days.

Palmsource, of course, is a totally different story for a different thread.
    "they're all the same to me".

P1 or Palmsource, hardware or software, they are both managed the same way...like a warm bowl of feces.

(and I'm not talking about baby mice...bonus points to anyone who gets that reference.)
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    is it a good idea to hold onto palmone shares then? id like to think p1 has a nice future of growth with a possibility of being a good stock to invest in. but are you saying it wouldnt be a good stock to hang onto from now on?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    A few issues are building here...

There seems to be some consensus here that P-1 wether the hardware, software or both have been mismanaged. I'm not an analyst so I dont know how well it is managed compared to other companies. I have the basic belief they make money by what they sell and they are valued as a company by how much they sell. So in my view its marketing the very good products they have that would drive the company, and I dont think they market very well at all.

I don't think P-1 can claim that much re hardware. The Treo was developed by Handspring.

They have had the killer software application for som time and dominated handhelds because of it. . Instant on compared to Windows? Hands down Palm OS is the best. Plays well with others too.

So... for me it comes down to marketing. If you want to call that managment, fine. They have the best product on the market they make 62% more money than they did last quarter and the market trades them down by 25%... If there was sufficient positive buzz about the 600, firm release dates for the 650 and a product roadmap, maybe the stock wouldn't drop so much. They keep their mouth shut, let the forums run rampant about fabrication (first quantity, then quality) and they get traded down...

They should be making sure all of their early adopters are well taken care of and getting an adequate number of 650's to the market that work, and work well...and then making sure they are percieved as well funded and with a plan for the future of the smartphone. Failure to do anything else is poor marketing in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk6235
    I don't think P-1 can claim that much re hardware....They have had the killer software application for som time and dominated handhelds because of it...Hands down Palm OS is the best...
    PalmOne is not responsible for PalmOS.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 09/27/2004 at 05:07 AM. Reason: reformatted
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk6235
    A few issues are building here...

There seems to be some consensus here that P-1 wether the hardware, software or both have been mismanaged. I'm not an analyst so I dont know how well it is managed compared to other companies. I have the basic belief they make money by what they sell and they are valued as a company by how much they sell. So in my view its marketing the very good products they have that would drive the company, and I dont think they market very well at all.

I don't think P-1 can claim that much re hardware. The Treo was developed by Handspring.

They have had the killer software application for som time and dominated handhelds because of it. . Instant on compared to Windows? Hands down Palm OS is the best. Plays well with others too.

So... for me it comes down to marketing. If you want to call that managment, fine. They have the best product on the market they make 62% more money than they did last quarter and the market trades them down by 25%... If there was sufficient positive buzz about the 600, firm release dates for the 650 and a product roadmap, maybe the stock wouldn't drop so much. They keep their mouth shut, let the forums run rampant about fabrication (first quantity, then quality) and they get traded down...

They should be making sure all of their early adopters are well taken care of and getting an adequate number of 650's to the market that work, and work well...and then making sure they are percieved as well funded and with a plan for the future of the smartphone. Failure to do anything else is poor marketing in my opinion.

That is all weel and good, but here are the facts:

PalmSource, the OS/Sfotware guys, have gone from $40 to $20 a share in the one year they have existed (split from the bigger Palm).

A 50% loss.

PalmOne, the hardware guys, and the original Palm company have
    gone from over $1,280 per share to $30 a share over the past 4.5 years.

That is 98% loss.

I love the Treo, but Palm is a dead man walking. Unless they hire Lazarus, they will continue to have problems.

What kills me is these bozos had it all, and completely blew it through their own ineptitude (sp?).

That said, I will stick with the Treo, until something better comes along.

If I ran Palm for a day, here would be my top 10 actions:

(I would have to look at some sales and expense numbers first, but my gut says):

- All SW efforts to OS 6 / Multitasking. Without this, they die
    - Drop the Z21 and Z31 (or sell to another party to market under another brand name; I almost would drop the whole line, but there's still a market there).
    - Add Wi-fi to Z72.
    - Drop the entire Tungsten Line (or sell to another party to market undr another brand name).
    - Drop all Treos except 600/650 and future models, and add Wi-fi and BT 1.2 to Treos.
    - Realign product development, engineering, support and management
    - Hire some real management expertise.
    - Lay off 30% off staff (the right 30%)
    - Completely outsource HR,Benefits, and IT; if already outsourced, find someone more competitive.
    - Establish motivation (re: compensation) that drives everyone to same goal. (this is ALWASYS the number one thing that is missed).
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    As long as people choose Treo's over the alternatives that are available to them, P1 has a future. You can certainly make the case that they coulda/woulda/shoulda had a better future, but hindsight is always 20-20. I think there is NO future in handhelds, and P1 agrees, which is why they bought Handspring. So I give their management credit for heading in the right direction, even if not fast enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    As long as people choose Treo's over the alternatives that are available to them, P1 has a future. You can certainly make the case that they coulda/woulda/shoulda had a better future, but hindsight is always 20-20. I think there is NO future in handhelds, and P1 agrees, which is why they bought Handspring. So I give their management credit for heading in the right direction, even if not fast enough.

Let's also give the captain of the Titanic credit for trying to turn away from the iceberg.

They buying of HS was to get a phone foothold, plain and simple. I wish mgmt there throught there was no future in standalone handhelds, but that is not the case.
    Despite PalmSource's current lead position in the handheld market, analysts predict that rival Microsoft will catch up and surpass the company in the next few years. The Palm OS was used in 51.7 percent of handhelds shipped worldwide in 2003, while Microsoft's operating system was in 38.3 percent of devices. IDC says Microsoft should take over the top spot at the end of this year, with 45.9 percent of the market, compared to 45.1 percent for the Palm OS, and grab a 51 percent share by 2006.

http://news.com.com/PalmSource+to+un...l?tag=nefd.top
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast