1.    #1  
    I have seen umpteen threads about trying to get music to play and answer calls, find a million dollar bluetooth headset to play music etc etc.....

The simple truth is that ALL THREE RING Nokia earbuds WILL play music via ptunes with ZERO problems AND answer phone calls at the same time.
    Yes, there is a negative to this. The answer end/mute button will most likely not work, you will have to tap the screen to answer the call...

Yes, the sound is not "stereo", but the high quality Jabra Earbud from Staples I got on sale for 11 bucks (for the NOKIA series NOT the standard 2.5 mm universal jack) plays WONDERFULLY and lets all calls through.

And here is the kicker... the adapter that converts any universal TWO RING ear bud to a THREE RING NOKIA type actually plays music through my Jabra wireless headset!!

I only had a few seconds of battery left on the Jabra and I couldn't test the quality of music that much but it played clearly for that time and I couldn't wait to get this information out.

Bottomline:

Option A: You can buy the Nokia 2 ring to 3 ring adapter (9 bucks at most at Staples) and use your existing earbud to play music and lose the auto answer button functionality for that period of time.

or

Option B: You can buy earbuds designed for the older Nokia phones with the 3 RINGS on them and not worry about auto answer mute button.

If everyone already knew about this little feature, excuse me for repeating stale info. I guess I will just have to get better at trolling through threads not to miss such a CRITICAL piece of information next time around.

And, if this is new news, well..... ENJOY!
    I have detailed files.
  2.    #2  
    I squeezed enough juice in my Jabra to get a better test.
    Sound quality:

Music: B- (sound was clear and loud which overrides the need for a lot of the perfection desired from true stereo sound)
    Audio (like talk shows on Shoutcast): A-

All in all, a very nice (and cheap) alternative.
    I have detailed files.
    Do you have a hyperlink to this adaptor?

Does this mean an old Treo300 headset would work?

I have an abandoned Freespeak for the Treo300 I would love to reactivate!
    (along with a few other headsets in a drawer)
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    I believe with this solution, when you make phone calls, the mic from the headset is NOT used, and the mic from the phone is. But I'm too tired to pull out my Nokia headset and try right now...
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfurie
    Do you have a hyperlink to this adaptor?

Does this mean an old Treo300 headset would work?

I have an abandoned Freespeak for the Treo300 I would love to reactivate!
    (along with a few other headsets in a drawer)
    You do not need a hyperlinfk. Just go to staples and get the 2 RING to 3 RING NOKIA ADAPTER (maybe cheaper elsewhere?).

Actually Meijers (similar to Super Walmart) had a universal 2.5 mm ear bug (high quality) and included a 2 ring to 3 ring Nokia with it!
    Cost: $9.99

This is not a complicated adapter....it is usually available everywhere...cheap!

ALSO, if your old Jabra adapter already has 3 rings (by that I mean THREE BLACK CIRCLES on the pointed end), it will work without the adapter, if not you will need the adapter and ALL your standard 2.5 mm ear buds will then do the same.
    I have detailed files.
    Catbert,

I think you're right. If you use the Nokia adaptor, the microphone will not work. It will use the microphone on the treo body.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert00
    I believe with this solution, when you make phone calls, the mic from the headset is NOT used, and the mic from the phone is. But I'm too tired to pull out my Nokia headset and try right now...

Hmm... I haven't tried a real phone call yet... I just know that the incoming call music plays through like it should and stops/pauses PTunes automatically.

At the very least, knowing that you can listed to Shoutcast in your bed on the Jabra while your Treo is 20 + feet away has got to be a good feeling.....

Or the fact that if you have a 2.5 mm earbud design you really like it can still play music if necessary without need for additional headset?

Also, one of the adapters I mentioned above (Meijers) didn't have a "tail" and was REALLY tiny in dimensions...a inhole and an out pin in a small half inch box design and as such is quite easily transportable in a wallet etc. and whipped out if the need to hear music arises via the same earbud.

I must reiterate though that the quality of music through the Jabra earbed (inline mic) was VERY good.

Dunno... was this all a case of premature...well...evaluation
    I have detailed files.
    i've been using a nokia head piece for a while now, works great, it plays my mp3's and lets phone calls thru. best part no messing around with adaptors.

true the button doesn't work..but who cares.

I dont' have a problem with my mic, i have the treo in my pocket and the other party seems to hear me just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgvnsxrated
    i've been using a nokia head piece for a while now, works great, it plays my mp3's and lets phone calls thru. best part no messing around with adaptors.

true the button doesn't work..but who cares.

I dont' have a problem with my mic, i have the treo in my pocket and the other party seems to hear me just fine.
    But do you have to bend over with your head near your pocket and yell at your pants for it to work cuz the mic does not on the headset

sorry - feeling a little punchie after too much work.
    Confirmed all of the above this morning. Nokia 3.5mm four conductor headsets work GREAT! Button does not work to answer calls, and the in-line microphone doesn't work. But if you don't mind answering the Treo with the stylus or a finger, and don't mind keeping it close to your mouth (so the mic will work) it makes a great alternative to the headphones/adapter, etc.

Still, it seems the Sedio unit would be a better choice all around...though more costly.
    I can confirm the mic does not work on my Nokia headset...it plays music fine though.

I learned this by people always yelling..."I can't hear you" when I used that headset.
  12.    #12  
    I used my Jabra Headset today and had no problems with the other person carrying on a normal conversation. My treo was parked in front of me on the dashboard via a magnetic hold but I wasn't exactly trying to speak into it....
    I have detailed files.
    Bought a generic Nokia-type earphone with boom mic for my 270. It seemed great in the mall where I picked it up. But, it never worked well outside. Arter reading this thread, I went to check it out with my 600.....

VIOLA!

The coolest part (to me, of course) is that using Call Filter's voice caller ID, I can set the Treo to vibrate, but still hear the number of whose calling :giggle:

Answer and Drop button on the wire does not seem to work, though. Small price to pay for a great work-around.