Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I recently went directly to DataViz and ordered the Ver 7 of Docs to Go. They sent me an inbstall file directly. It had a worm and put a virus into my system. I went back to their site to warn them and ask for advise. I kept looking for a number on the sit but had a hard time. And I don't want to pay $15 to warn them that they are passing around a virus. If you have a number, please advise. Otherwise make sure that they have cured the problem before you open their files.
    Is the worm on your computer, or on the Treo?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    The worm was on the computer, but might have also been spread to the Treo. After we got rid of it from the computer....I tried to sync my Docs to Go between the computer and the Treo....Mcafee stopped the sync, reporting suspicious activity. I removed Doc's to Go from both systems and reinstalled a new file sent to my by Data Viz Tech support. Tech support took their time and walked me through the process. (They sent my a file that wiped out the entire program from my Treo)
    I suspect the Treo is fine, and that you have a Windows computer. Any worm or virus that infects a Windows machine can't bother a Treo, unless the author (perpetrator?) coded two worms.

Nevertheless, that's a major faux pas on the part of the software vendor. It's happened elsewhere before, and it's nasty when it happens. Somebody wasn't paying attention when they set up the file.
    Just a thought. The Docs To Go process converts (or at least manipulates) xls and doc files into Treo readable files (depending on your install setup), and probably uses something analogous to a macro to do so. If you have some active virus protection like McAfee, it may detect this as a virus, when in fact its a trusted process. If you wrote down the name of the blocked process, you might want to google it and verify it was a virus, rather than an appropriate exe.

I mention this because, as a software engineer, I'm constantly blocked by McAfee specifically. Just the act of one application spawning another seems to make McAfee choke. Its probably the best protection, but you need to know what procs are good and what aren't.

Also, I've got v7 and have had no problems at all.