1.    #1  
    Hi

I just started a new job at a Fortune 5 company which I travel back and forth between secure camera free studio and design areas.

I have a sprint treo600 and would like to either exchange my treo for the cameraless sprint model or I would like to buy a "modification kit" to remove and block the camera lens hole in my treo, converting my unit to the same cameraless model they sell.

I would rather not epoxy it. The camlock software or duct tape or scratching the lens, or painting the lens won't fit the bill, I would get fired for bringing a camera device into studio/design areas, regardless of it worked or not or if it was software restricted. They don't mess around.

Has anybody done this? (exchange phone for cameraless model or bought a factory conversion kit?)

Thanks for the input
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    My security office said they wouldn't even allow me to bring a cameraphone in if I physically drove a nail straight through the camera lens, tore the pieces out with a pair of pliers and filled the gaping hole with opaque epoxy!

Dunno if yours are as draconian, but I was forced to wait many many months until VZW finally came out with a cameraless PDA-phone! Best to ask yours in case they still wouldn't accept it. I'm really loving my Treo600WOC now though

The Treo600WOC still has a little blister where the camera should be, but it's not punched out; so an adapter kit likely isn't an option. A little bit of epoxy and some automotive paint might be your best way to go. (Or if you're brave, you can take the back off and take the camera out in case you ever wanted to try to reinstalled it later.) From what I've seen, losing the camera isn't much of a loss anyhow...
    Have you called Sprint? I would think that they might go for an exchange...but again, it is Sprint. I would at least try.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I too am interested in removing the camera. I think removing the entire camera hardware from the inside is my best bet. See my thread "surgical removal of the camera"
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. The reason that I am actively pursuring the cameraless model is that this is the first employer that will let me use my Treo as a business tool, and they will let me sync with my company PC, etc. It would be so much better not to have to actively remember to leave it locked it up in the desk when I plan on going to different areas in the building.

I called sprint gold level customer service 2 different times, they didn't even realize that they make a cameraless model. They sent me to palmone. Palmone sent me back to Sprint, telling me that they don't even manufacture the phone, Sprint does, they just give them the "chip" inside (clueless). Sprint sent me to Local Sprint store in my area. I called 4 Sprint stores in my area. No dice. All of the them said a cameraless one doesn't exist, and if it does, they wouldn't be able to exchange it, I would have to buy a new one at full price.

I think I might just wait until the Treo 650 cameraless comes out, then pay full price for it, and either give my treo to my parents, or sell it on ebay.

I am pretty handy with electronics, and have done some board level soldering, but soldering surface mount components is pretty hard to do, and probably wouldn't want to risk it with my daily phone.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    I took the camera out of mine. there is a thread on here somewhere that explains how to do it. It is really easy. The camera is just plugged in with a little ribbon cable. No soldering needed.
    where is the thread that explains how to remove the camera??
    Ahh, I saw this and was reminded of many companies who eact these dumb policies:

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilber...-20041114.html

The following are pictures of the TREO opened. The instructions to open a treo 600 are located here:

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...eo_600_battery

Notice the camera hardware on the inside of the treo internals in the attached photos. Is one able to pop the camera hardware out, without losing any other function? I am thinking of doing this, so could someone please let me know. I just hope that the camera is NOT hardwired in. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sounds like the internal camera module hardware can be popped out without killing the entire treo 600. I will attempt and report back what I find.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Does that mean that it could maybe be upgraded?!?!?! Wouldn't that be cool (Though unlikely)

okay folks. I was able to successfully open the Treo 600 using a (Torx) T6 mini-screwdriver and remove the camera hardware, effectively making my Treo 600 cameraless. Everything works fine (minus the camera). I suspect that this would also work on the Treo 650, which will be my next project. Thanks for everyones input and feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by suniljm
    okay folks. I was able to successfully open the Treo 600 using a (Torx) T6 mini-screwdriver and remove the camera hardware, effectively making my Treo 600 cameraless. Everything works fine (minus the camera). I suspect that this would also work on the Treo 650, which will be my next project. Thanks for everyones input and feedback!
    I got a 600 as a replacement for a 300 and I need to do this. What did you do for outside the case? Did the cover lens pop out?

Jeff
    when i took the camera hardware out...and re-assembled the treo 600, when you looked into the camera lens, you could see right to the back of the circuit board. So what I did was cut a circuilar cover from black electric tape to cover the circular lens area of the back of the treo. It works out nicely. I couldve covered the lens from the inside, but i wanted something to cover the camera letters on the back of the treo 600 as well.
    suniljm - if you look at the camera hardware under a magnifying lens, does it list any manufacturer information? I wonder if it would be possible to replace teh camera with a better/different camera. probably not, but an interesting experiment nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by suniljm
    when i took the camera hardware out...and re-assembled the treo 600, when you looked into the camera lens, you could see right to the back of the circuit board. So what I did was cut a circuilar cover from black electric tape to cover the circular lens area of the back of the treo. It works out nicely. I couldve covered the lens from the inside, but i wanted something to cover the camera letters on the back of the treo 600 as well.
    Thanks, I will be giving it a try this weekend.

Jeff
    Conrad, I will take a look and report. The one thing that did surprise me was that the camera module wasn't really plugged into anything. It had circuit contacts that rested on top of the circuit board contacts.... anyway, ill look into this.