Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just Sprint called because my Treo 600 was stolen on Monday. I called the sales line and asked when the Treo Ace would be available, because I said I didn't want to buy the 600 and have the Ace come out immediately afterward. The sales rep said "Hold on, let me check the computer". She then said "I don't have a Treo Ace, but I have a Treo 650 that comes out in late November. And I'm sorry, but we can't offer it yet."

She didn't have any info on whether the 650 would immediately be offered without a camera, or if there would be a wait like on the 600. Anyway, I will be saving my insurance money, buying the cheapest phone Sprint has, and getting the 650 when it comes out. Just thought some of you might be curious about the confirmation on the 650 release date...
    Sounds about right.....released in time for the holiday buying season.
    was another thread needed for this...? it couldn't have been added to all them other threads that said....."treo 650 confirmed for late november"...?

Quote Originally Posted by wlovis
    I just Sprint called because my Treo 600 was stolen on Monday.
    and....are you dyslexic? hahaha calm down.
    But I can't possibly wait until LATE NOVEMBER....
    I need therapy or something.
    GA? Gadgets Anonymous.
    I was talking with my Sprint Reseller and he stated that he will have 2 versions of the 650 available sometime after October 18th. Take it for what its worth, I'm expecting Late November.
    From what I've read/seen/heard, a non-camera SKU will be available at launch. YMMV.
    more importantly, when will the offical press release be for the 650 that tells all the specifications
    got the same thing in an orange UK shop a couple of weeks ago she said late october early november
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    I just checked my brand new 'Magic 8 Ball' I purchased from a local Target store and it confirmed the November release date...so I guess it's written in stone now...
    "...you're the man now dawg!!!" - William Forrestor
    Quote Originally Posted by desmondhuz
    I just checked my brand new 'Magic 8 Ball' I purchased from a local Target store and it confirmed the November release date...so I guess it's written in stone now...
    For the rest of us, we can do it online for free:

-- http://www.mattelgames.com/magic8/flash_index.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by wlovis
    She didn't have any info on whether the 650 would immediately be offered without a camera, or if there would be a wait like on the 600.
    quick question. Why is there demand for the 600/650 without the camera? Is is simply because their work/building won't allow cameraphones, or are there some technical advantage I'm not aware of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    But I can't possibly wait until LATE NOVEMBER....
    I need therapy or something.
    GA? Gadgets Anonymous.
    That will give you three weeks for therapy to recover from President Bush' landslide re-election; you'll need the time to change your avatar.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfactor
    quick question. Why is there demand for the 600/650 without the camera? Is is simply because their work/building won't allow cameraphones, or are there some technical advantage I'm not aware of?
    Well, for one thing, it's a toy camera. Why would you want a 0.3 MP camera, or even a 1.3 MP camera? Either make the phone smaller, or use the space for something I DO want, like an internal antenna, or more memory.
    A camera might be handy on rare occasions IF you could actually tell what the picture was. I cannot understand why they are increasing the megapixels - you don't need higher megapixels for a camera phone, just better quality images.
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo__baggins
    A camera might be handy on rare occasions IF you could actually tell what the picture was. I cannot understand why they are increasing the megapixels - you don't need higher megapixels for a camera phone, just better quality images.
    uh, doesn't increasing the megapixels mean higher qulaity images?
    *quality*
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    uh, doesn't increasing the megapixels mean higher qulaity images?
    The only thing that will increase the quality of the Treo's photos is a better lens and sensor. Megapixels = quantity not quality. If all they do is increase the amount of pixels then you will simply have a larger version of the same photo.
    Exactly, a larger version of the same poor picture. Really useful!
    To answer the question. Many companies do not allow cameras of any type and have specific policies about camera phones.

And yes....more megapixels means a bigger image...not a better one.
    I definitely understand that 600's camera sucks. I just recently bought a Nokia 6820 to tie me over until the 650 comes out, and boy, its camera is *absolutely* useless. I was just wondering if the non-camera version had any technical advantage(i.e. better antennae, more battery) aside from the social limitation of working in a building not allowed to have cameras.

I must say, though. I find camera phones to be quite desirable as long as the quality of the image is good. I already miss the camera on my Sanyo 5300, and now covet the camera on my girlfriend's SE T637. You don't need high megapixel camera to have fun. I found the 640x480 stretched images from my Sanyo more than adequate for photo caller id and quick snapshots. If you want proof that megapixels aren't everything, check out http://640x480.net.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast