Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by realsyde
    The only thing that will increase the quality of the Treo's photos is a better lens and sensor. Megapixels = quantity not quality. If all they do is increase the amount of pixels then you will simply have a larger version of the same photo.
    So if you have a 0.3 megapixel camera with a high quality lens and sensor the picture will be as good as a 4+ megapixel camera with the same lens and sensor only smaller?
    Correct. Resolution (mega pixels) is simply how many pixels make up the image. So a higher megapixel image will allow you to print the image out at a larger size OR zoom into it more on your computer before it starts to pixelate. Color reproduction or optics is in no way affected by MegaPixels. The companies who make digital cameras really don't want people to know this because as they keep upping the megpixels, consumers feel the camera is taking better pictures. With a 2 megapixel camera you can get nice 4 by 6 prints and a decent 5 by 7. With a 4 megapixel camera you can get a nice 8 by 10 and an ok 11 by 17. I have a few friends that brag about having 6 megapixel cameras even though I know they will never make prints that large. So really they are just filling up their camera's memory card a lot faster.

Keep in mind your monitor only displays an image at 72 DPI. So if your screen rez is set to 1024 by 768 and you have an image that is 1024 by 768 @ 72 dpi, it will fill your entire screen without pixelization - and that image would not even be 1 mega pixel.

I will likely never make prints of shots taken off my Treo so as long as they are at a decent size for on-screen viewing (640 by 480 or 800 by 600) I would rather have a better sensor and lens than more megapixels. With all that said, I played with the camera of the new Zire in the store the other day (the 1.3 megapixel one) and while the pics were not that great, they were better than the treo camera.
    it's more than MP.

I have a high end 3 MP camera a few years back, and a tiny 2 MP Sony.

The Sony took much better pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Correct. Resolution (mega pixels) is simply how many pixels make up the image. So a higher megapixel image will allow you to print the image out at a larger size OR zoom into it more on your computer before it starts to pixelate. Color reproduction or optics is in no way affected by MegaPixels. The companies who make digital cameras really don't want people to know this because as they keep upping the megpixels, consumers feel the camera is taking better pictures. With a 2 megapixel camera you can get nice 4 by 6 prints and a decent 5 by 7. With a 4 megapixel camera you can get a nice 8 by 10 and an ok 11 by 17. I have a few friends that brag about having 6 megapixel cameras even though I know they will never make prints that large. So really they are just filling up their camera's memory card a lot faster.

Keep in mind your monitor only displays an image at 72 DPI. So if your screen rez is set to 1024 by 768 and you have an image that is 1024 by 768 @ 72 dpi, it will fill your entire screen without pixelization - and that image would not even be 1 mega pixel.

I will likely never make prints of shots taken off my Treo so as long as they are at a decent size for on-screen viewing (640 by 480 or 800 by 600) I would rather have a better sensor and lens than more megapixels. With all that said, I played with the camera of the new Zire in the store the other day (the 1.3 megapixel one) and while the pics were not that great, they were better than the treo camera.
    I thought Megapixels was a measurement of pixels per square inch not just the entire image, therefore more pixels per square inch = better quality. Is this right or am I really a digital camera numbnuts?! You can be honest....but nice.
    You are both right - it depends on your point of view.

Imagine a 4.3 Megapixel Camera.
    If you take a photo in max. resolution, the picture will consist of 2400 x 1800 pixel = 4.3 million pixel. If you display this picture on a computer screen using a resolution of, say, 1024 x 768 pixel, you're only using a fraction of the information in that picture. The resolution per inch on your screen is a given factor, determined by your screen.

(For instance, the Treo 650 has a much higher resolution that the Treo 600. Although the physical size of the screen is the same (2.7 inches in diagonal, that's 1.91 inches across/down), the 650's screen has twice the dpi (320 pixel / 1.91 inches = 168 dpi for the 650 vs. 160 pixel / 1.91 inches = 84 dpi for the 600) and four times the resolution of the 600 (320x320 = 102400 pixel, i.e. 0.1 megapixel for the 650 vs. 160x160 = 25600 pixel for the 600).)

However, if you print this photo (with a good photo printer), you can set the resolution to 300 dpi (dots per inch). This will produce a clear 8 x 6 inch photo (8 inches x 300 dots per inch = 2400 dots horizontally, 6 inches x 300 dots per inch = 1800 dots vertically). If you now set a printing resolution of 600 dpi, you photo will become half as wide/tall at 4 x 3 inches.

Hope this explains it...

Andy
    Last edited by abookas; 09/26/2004 at 04:08 PM.
    so november you say.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Not better quality...but more information captured. In other words...more pixels make up the image. When zooming in, pictures will not become blurry or pixelated on your monitor until you exceed the pixel size of what your monitor is displaying. So...just for simplicity:

If I had a 640 by 480 monitor resolution. And I took a picture at 1280 by 960...I could enlarge that image on my screen up to 2 times the size until it started to blur and pixelate.

Keep in mind...if the sensor does not capture color accurately, or if the lens is distorted...you will just get a larger image that still looks crappy. It's a combination of all 3 things working together.
    I think we're splitting hairs over the higher rez = higher quality issue. Subjectively, if the same size picture contains twice as many pictures and consequently looks noticably sharper to the human eye, then it's higher quality. Of course, there are other factors like color fidelity and lens quality, but resolution is certainly a contributing factor to perceived image quality. Nobody's going to double the size of their prints just to prove a point.
    As this has to do with "Treo 650 Release Date Confirmed on Sales Call" how exactly...

Treo 650 coming to AT&T on October 15!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    More pixels should mean a sharper image, so it's not a worthless improvement. But, as others have said, true picture quality improvement will come with better quality optics and other enhancements that don't sound as flashy on paper as lots of megapixels. I think we're probably a year away from cameraphones that start implementing high quality optics, but we'll get there eventually.

Scott
    Actually, Megapizels is part of the camera-inflation. Megapixel means nothing unless you have more sensors capturing the image. Bigger does not mean better (at least in this case).

--John
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch
    Treo 650 coming to AT&T on October 15!
    Oh, I hope that is true...but what is your source of that information?

Not what I would call reliable, but I never let that stop the rampant speculation. The sales guy said that he was given a late September release date during the summer, but had not heard anything since that notice.

I'm hoping for mid November, because that's when I project I will have the cash to purchase mine.

On a side note, my wife wants me to get the 650 just as bad as I do because she broke her 300 (my old one) and wants my 600.
    My source on the October 15 date was my local AT&T retailer. I asked about the 650 and the manager said he had received a notice that day saying he would receive the T650 on October 15. And "yes," the first one is mine!
    I'm waiting for this new 650 too, but I've heard/read nothing for any carrier other than Sprint? Any news on GSM carriers like Cingular and T-Mobile?
    If the Treo 650 1.3MP camera is the same one as the Zire 72 1.3MP camera, shweet!!! My fiancee has the Zire 72 and the camera quality just totally blows my Treo 600's away... Low light pictures are pretty good, daytime pictures are crystal clear... and everything in between is very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    If the Treo 650 1.3MP camera is the same one as the Zire 72 1.3MP camera, shweet!!! My fiancee has the Zire 72 and the camera quality just totally blows my Treo 600's away... Low light pictures are pretty good, daytime pictures are crystal clear... and everything in between is very good.
    Took my Treo 600 to Best Buy and compared a picture from my Treo to the diisplay model Zire 72, and it was night and day difference. Here's to hoping the TReo 650 shares the same camera.

By the way, how did Samsung (i550) manage to include a flash, and Treo not?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  18. brl
    I agree with a lot of comments regarding the camera. I have a number of first generation 640 x 480 cameras in the closet that take much better pictures than my Treo 600. As a matter of fact, I can take better pictures with a lot of 320 x 240 cameras designed for web cams than the 600 turns out.

It's more than resolution, although it certainly can't hurt (can you imagine a camera that takes worse pics). I'm as anxious as anyone...have my $'s ready, but hoping that the improvements will actually warrant shelling out money for and that they are not just marketing hype...also hoping that bluetooth isn't disabled for modem purposes. I have high speed at work and home and travel 2-3 days a month, but sure do enjoy Sprint and pdanet when I get stuck in a hotel without high speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by brl
    I agree with a lot of comments regarding the camera. I have a number of first generation 640 x 480 cameras in the closet that take much better pictures than my Treo 600. As a matter of fact, I can take better pictures with a lot of 320 x 240 cameras designed for web cams than the 600 turns out.

It's more than resolution, although it certainly can't hurt (can you imagine a camera that takes worse pics). I'm as anxious as anyone...have my $'s ready, but hoping that the improvements will actually warrant shelling out money for and that they are not just marketing hype...also hoping that bluetooth isn't disabled for modem purposes. I have high speed at work and home and travel 2-3 days a month, but sure do enjoy Sprint and pdanet when I get stuck in a hotel without high speed.
    To get the best quality pix off the Treo600, you need to reset the resolution for saved pix. I use Qset, a freeware program, to do this. Photos are quite nice.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  20. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Shneor, couple of questions:
    1) Why does the Treo not come configured at this higher save resolution -- is it simply to save on memory?

2) For someone that has not played with configurations of this nature, can you provide specific settings?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast