Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Another great applications from our friends over at http://www.ShSh.com ....
    Many of the 2Day thread followers know about 4CAST a weather application that will pull up real time data for your area.
    I can do the following as of now
    5 Day forcast w/ picutres (for us Aggies )
    Wind direction and speed
    Humidity
    Visibility
    Sunrise and Sunset too
    all can be displayed in fahrenheit or celsius

I just found that hitting the center button of the 5way will toggle the two screens.

Anyway, I posted this thread to make it a little less confusing and seperate 2Day and 4Cast since they are two different apps.

It appears that 4Cast can be a stand alone app and/or as a plugin too. The current version of 2Day uses the 4Cast plugin.

ShSh.com apps
    TAKEphONE
    2Day
    TreoShortCuts
    TeleTone
  2.    #2  
    An option (if 4Cast doesn't do this already) to have 4cast poll the yahoo site if a certain time as gone by.
    It would not do this on it's own, but say I select 6hrs as the time, then if I launch 4Cast 6 or more hours after the last update, 4Cast will get new data.
    Perahps
    1hr
    3hr
    6hr
    9hr
    12hr
    24hr

An option to edit the city. I entered a town in all lowercase and I can't fix it know(at least I don't know how)

Also, I like how I can hit the center of the 5way to toggle between the two pages.
    Shimon, this program is just great. Being from Florida, the family is closely watching the hurricanes via the NOAA site. As the storm worked its way through Florida, we checked a few cities in the area and found it to be accurate. However, I do have a question. The visibility is 966 miles?

The automagical updates would be nice (as above).

I am anxiously waiting for my 2Day and 4Cast registrations...

Take care!

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Shimon, this program is just great. Being from Florida, the family is closely watching the hurricanes via the NOAA site. As the storm worked its way through Florida, we checked a few cities in the area and found it to be accurate. However, I do have a question. The visibility is 966 miles?

The automagical updates would be nice (as above).

I am anxiously waiting for my 2Day and 4Cast registrations...

Take care!

Ben
    Hi,

Thanks.

First - I hope mother nature will calm down...

The visibility thing is from Yahoo. I guess they mean "as good as it cab be"...

Auto-updates - will come, but after the conference...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    I now notice that something is wanting to maintain the "always on connection." Something to look at. I see now that if I disconnect from the Internet via SnapperMail, it disconnects, then reconnects (but does not show it on the screen), then reboots. Wow. Also this morning with it connected to the Internet, 4Cast indicated it could not connect to the Internet. I then went to Preferences and disconnected there, which it did, and then it reconnected. Is there something with 2D or 4Cast that makes it wanna stay connected? More as we play. Ben
    While playing with the preferences with 2Day, I added Call Filter to its launcher and played a bit more. I then went into the datebook function, ending up in DateBk5 and got an error, so it's off to Pilmco Software on this one. This program is a blast to play with. Ben
    How does it decide if there are multiple matches for a city? If I enter 'Smithton', how do I know it is showing Smithton Illinois, Missouri, or Pennsylvania?
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I now notice that something is wanting to maintain the "always on connection." Something to look at. I see now that if I disconnect from the Internet via SnapperMail, it disconnects, then reconnects (but does not show it on the screen), then reboots. Wow. Also this morning with it connected to the Internet, 4Cast indicated it could not connect to the Internet. I then went to Preferences and disconnected there, which it did, and then it reconnected. Is there something with 2D or 4Cast that makes it wanna stay connected? More as we play. Ben
    2day does not handle the network lib at all.
    4cast tries to connect only when it's run, never in the background.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    How does it decide if there are multiple matches for a city? If I enter 'Smithton', how do I know it is showing Smithton Illinois, Missouri, or Pennsylvania?
    I juts found out myself - you can search by ZIP code, too - just enter it in stead of the name (you can "Edit" it later).
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    LOL, when 4cast first came out (version 105 i guess) i added my zip code since it's just a field on the yahoo weather site....I figured my zip would work rather than my city name since there are many "Newton's" (that's where i live).

Tray
    After doing a bit of experimentation, deleting in first 2Day and then reinstalling it and deleting 4Cast, et cetera, 4Cast is insisting on maintaining the always on connection.

Each uninstall of 4Cast and 2Day was followed by a reset in order to clear the memory.

Here we go - from Snappermail, without 4Cast installed, one can easily disconnect the always on connection and it does not freeze or reboot. If 4Cast is installed and the always on connection is up and running, trying to kill the always on connection via disconnecting from the network in SnapperMail will cause it to show the disconnection attempt, the attempt screen the clears, the cute little arrows showing the network connection are still there, the Treo is frozen for a while, then it reboots. Eliminate 4Cast and everything is just fine and dandy.

Can we have a network disconnection option from the drop-downs?

Now, I like the always on connection thing and maintain it most of the time. However, off should be off. The other features of both programs are working just fine. It does an excellent job of showing SMS/email stuff. Interaction with the datebook is a bit cumbersome, but overall, you have done an excellent job. It has progressed nicely from the first time I actually tried it.

Ben
  12.    #12  
    Ben,
    Are you GSM or CDMA? When you say it insists on a network connection, will it connect again, even after you disconnect via snappermail or the Prefs app? If so, will it connect even if you don't run 4cast again?
    I am a Sprint user. When the disconnection is done via Snappermail, the attempt is made, the disconnection screen leaves, still showing the connection to be on, freezes for a while, then resets. If the disconnection is done via the system preferences, it is most of the time successful and no reset is done. If I run 4Cast again either as a stand-alone or with 2Day, it does not force a connection unless it is needed to update the information.

So, the common factor in this case is 4Cast. With it uninstalled and reset after the uninstall, no problems at all with disconnecting via SnapperMail.

Ben
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    For some reason even though today works whenever i bring up just 2day the line for 4cast which displays after i check the 4cast plugin has No Data... in that line.. suggestions?
    Hi Ben,

What version of SnapperMail do you have? 1.x or 2.x? I use Sprint with 2day, 4cast, and Snapper 2.x and I don't see this problem.

-Taylor
    In the 2Day preferences, under Plugins, do you have 4Cast enabled???????

If there is a line there which from disabling disappears from there, then good luck! I see no other preferences that are there. Oh, are they both installed in main memory? (probably has nothing to do with that). Ben
    Snappermail Enterprise - V2.0.5.01 registered and sorry to say, with 4Cast installed, it routinely hangs.

Ben
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mobiletaylor
    Hi Ben,

What version of SnapperMail do you have? 1.x or 2.x? I use Sprint with 2day, 4cast, and Snapper 2.x and I don't see this problem.

-Taylor
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    For some reason even though today works whenever i bring up just 2day the line for 4cast which displays after i check the 4cast plugin has No Data... in that line.. suggestions?
    In 2day preferences, do you have "remember last position" checked? If so, you may be getting yesterday as the default and "no forecast" in 4cast. (Seems silly, but it happened to me for a while.)
    Laissez Faire
    Hi all,

Version 1.12 of 4cast is out on www.shsh.com/products

New:

- Handle network connect/disconnect better.
    - Auto-disconnect on exit.
    - Configurable refresh (update) intervals.
    - "Recent cities" list (favourites).

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Shimon;

Love the option of having update intervals but would like to suggest a modification.

I would like to update frequently ( hourly or every other hour) during the day without an auto disconnect, but really do not need any updates in the middle of the night. If I choose every hour now without a disconnect.. I presume my Treo will be on all night. Handmark Express handles this problem with 10 or so predetermined times you can select from for updates, rather than hourly intervals.

Thanks,

Bruce in Belle Harbor
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast