Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Are there any medical drug programs that use the SD card? I currently use epocrates and it uses WAY too much RAM. Thanks for suggestions.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Lexidrugs is excellent (www.lexi.com). They have a variety of products to meet different needs. I use both programs. Epocrates is great (its built in calculator is wonderful for pediatric dosing). But I totally agree that they are behind in allowing for SD card support. With Lexi, the large drug database goes on the card, leaving only the app (around 100k) in RAM.
    Epocrates is total bloatware!! Even if you try to delete all the un-necessar components in the free version, it's all just reloaded the next time you sync! *sigh*

Imo, Tarascon is a much better solution...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    are either of the other 2 freeware? I will have to check them out because I was just thinking of trying to install ePoc to the SD card. I found that ePoc doesn't do well with PowerRun, and only minimal space improvement with ZL...
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I agree, Tarascon's pda apps are also superb. I haven't used their drug databases, but their pediatric and emergency medicine software are excellent.

None of this is freeware. Tarascan also will put the large databases on the SD card. Epocrates' APPLICATION (not the large databases) can be moved to the card with a program like zLauncher or Powerrun, but it doesn't really save much space.

It's a matter of you get what you pay for. If you really need/use this kind of information, it's worth paying for it to be done right....
  6.    #6  
    I agree. I use the "bought" version of epocrates and you still cannot use the SD card. When it expires, I will have to try the lexi product. Thanks!
    rcyphermd, there is a long drawn out way to use Epocrates with the SD card. I have the free version and use AvantageRX to move the main Epoc db's to the card. You can then either delete of move via a memory manager like Zlauncher/PowerRun the other components of Epoc to card (e.g, Qid, Dx, Medtools, Labs, Tables, etc). However, remember to move all the components back to ram when you update b/c Epoc will try to reload them if they're missing...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    I checked the price on Lexi, it is a LOT more money!! Wow! I read somewhere that using that programs for the SD card caused a lot of errors/resets. Yours is working OK ?
    how much memory does that give you?

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Using Lexi on the card works *fine*- no problems at all, and very fast. So does Tarascan. You're right- they're not "cheap," but they work, and include constant updates to the drug databases for the subscription period.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd
    Are there any medical drug programs that use the SD card? I currently use epocrates and it uses WAY too much RAM. Thanks for suggestions.
    If the PDR is enough for your purposes, Franklin puts a condensed version - Pocket PDR - on an SD card.
    I use the Mac paid version of epocratesRx and it is one of the best programs I have on my palm, for me, epocrates is worth keeping in ram.
    Okay, so I bought the 10 dollar AvantageRX, but it seems like

1) ePocrates can only be launched from within the AvantageRX application now

2) that you have to tell AvantageRX to move the files to the SD card after each use

am I missing something or does this AvantageRX suck too

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Okay, so I bought the 10 dollar AvantageRX, but it seems like

1) ePocrates can only be launched from within the AvantageRX application now

2) that you have to tell AvantageRX to move the files to the SD card after each use

am I missing something or does this AvantageRX suck too
    Yeah sorry, I should have warned you. AvantageRX basically juse moves the main Epoc Dbs' to the card and then automatically moves it back to ram when you launch it and then copies it back to the card when your done. It was originally written for the free ver a long time ago and doesn't appear to have been updated by Toysoft in a very long time and thus doesn't work very well with the latest encarnations of Epocrates bloartware! Thus it will not move the DX, labs, Tables etc to the card. I just use to to move the main app and DB to the card and then I move it back to ram whenever I need to use it. The reason I use AantageRX instead of simple mem managers like Zlauncher/PowerRun is b/c they only seem to move the main app and not all the assoc DB's that AvantageRX does. Overall, I apologize in advance for not warning you earlier about AvantageRX...I probably would've advise you not to get it...

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    If you're willing to pay for it, Grant Frazier of Medical Wizards produces a GREAT drug guide called Davis Drug Guide with Integrated Calculators (DDGIC, formerly Ultimate Drug Guide). $49.95 for the Palm version. Takes up 503k of RAM, the rest loads to your SD card. It's an excellent all-in-one drug guide with drug-drug interactions, herbal interactions, and weight based dosing calculators. Check it out at www.medicalwizards.com (Note, I do not work for MW, just a satisfied customer).

If your internal memory is at a premium, try any of the many drug guides from Skyscape at www.skyscape.com. Skyscape's Davis Drug Guide (essentially the same as the one included with DDGIC) only takes up 22k of RAM, the rest loads to the SD card. Again, I'm just a satisfied customer.

On a completely opposite tangent, I can recommend a good free medical program called Mobile Merck Medicus. Find it at www.mobilemerckmedicus.com. It's powered by CogniQ from Unbound Medicine. It's quite the porker at 2200K with additional stuff installed to the SD card. But, MEDLINE, journals, The Merck manual, and a lab values guide are all included.

I have a bunch more programs similar to that, let me know it you're interested.
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Also, A2Zdrugs is okay reference (not greatest), but it allows you to place the drug Db's in /palm/launcher dir on the card thus minimizing space...

17.    #17  
    cphil, thanks for your suggestion. What others do you use?
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I second Lexi-Drugs. I think Lexi Interact is better then ePocrates Multi Check. I use them both. I freed up space by using Flyzip and moving a lot of seldom used apps to the SD card. If I only had to pick one drug software it would be Lexi just becasue the database is on the SD card.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip on Merck from Unbound! It looks great. But I am SO tired of coming up against the RAM limitations. For those of us using these large databases, 24 megs is just totally insufficient, even WITH card support. As an example, the Merck manual (and associated data) are about 8 megs. With install to the card, it's "only" 2 megs. But that's still about 10% of total RAM, just for this one app. I use zLauncher and have just about everything I can on the card, but I still struggle to keep a couple megs free in RAM (which I would consider the minimum needed to run things smoothly).
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    pdadoc, exactly. For those of us who mix 'pleasure' with business, it's nice to have a few megs free. Like when you want to capture some video of your friends with MovieRec. :-) I'm not 100% sure, but I think Merck and run completely from the SD card. If you look at your 'Card' category, you'll see the Merck icon there. I haven't figured out if that's a copy of the program or a 'shortcut' (ala Windows).

Again, I can't say enough about the apps from Skyscape. They really have the smallest RAM footprint out there; most of the PRC files average 100kb or less.

Others I have used:
    Johns Hopkins Antibiotic Guide, free from www.hopkins-abxguide.org. ABXguide.prc is 357KB, the rest loads to your SD
    ISilo document reader, though not really free, the whole program is only $19. If you search Yahoo Groups for ISilo textbooks, you will find most anything you're looking for. However, I'm not sure about the legality of this... copyrights might come into play.
    Meistermed, at www.meistermed.com has several free Isilo programs (Lytemeister, Codemeister, etc) plus a repository of free 3rd party ISilo documents.
    At Skyscape, www.skyscape.com, they have a few free apps. .911 Terrorism Responder and Archimedes (a collection of med calculators like GCS, BMI, and measurement conversions)

You can also check out PDA Cortex at www.pdacortex.com for a list of free and paid applications for Palm OS organizers, like ABG Interpreters, Pregnancy Wheels

Enjoy!
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast