1.    #1  
    Does anybody know wether T650 supports:

1. Using it as a modem to connect to Internet via bluetooth
    2. Hands Free Protocol for connecting with the car phone systems like the ones offered by Acura

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ypshan

2. Hands Free Protocol for connecting with the car phone systems like the ones offered by Acura

Thanks.
    Its BT ....... what do you expect!! Everything that BT brings!! Wonderment!

Dennis -==- Philly
    expect disappointment, given Sprint's record with BT phones.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Ah, yes. Wonderment! Infinite variety! Let a hundred bluetooth blossoms bloom! Of course, none of them can talk to each other, but hey, it's another feature!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    expect disappointment, given Sprint's record with BT phones.

That is stupid.

Bluetooth is a function OF THE PHONE... it has NOTHING to do with Sprint or any other provider.

Sprint has never had except for the T608 a Bluetooth enabled phone..

I have the T608 and it works great.

But there is no "disappointment" involvbed aslong as they carry the 650 and it has bluetooth, there is no problems that can arise!
    Actually, the worry is that sprint will do like verizon and castrate the supported profiles so that the bluetooth is near useless.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Actually, the worry is that sprint will do like verizon and castrate the supported profiles so that the bluetooth is near useless.
    Another worry is that Sprint will either kill their unlimited data plan or raise the cost significantly.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisOS2
    Its BT ....... what do you expect!! Everything that BT brings!! Wonderment!

Dennis -==- Philly
    Wrong there are many profiles, different phones have drivers for different profiles, just because it has Bluetooth doesn't mean it has them ALL. It may very well have Headset profile but not handsfree, which is fine for a BT headset but not so good for many car kits....

And apparently some of the American providers do disable certain profiles in their ROMS, so you may get even less than what the base model from Palm offers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    That is stupid.

Bluetooth is a function OF THE PHONE... it has NOTHING to do with Sprint or any other provider.

Sprint has never had except for the T608 a Bluetooth enabled phone..

I have the T608 and it works great.

But there is no "disappointment" involvbed aslong as they carry the 650 and it has bluetooth, there is no problems that can arise!
    I beg to differ...

BT implementation on phones can vary. Sprint has had ZERO BT phones, except for the T608, which was not fully released or supported.
    Other carriers have several.

I had several T608, and was the biggest booster of them...until after the numerous lockups and bugs, I gave up.

The T608 is a joke; it was a beta phone with enormous bug problems.
    Most of the blame goes to SE for making such a POS, but Sprint sold it, depsite the problems. BT works on the T608, assuming the OS doesn't hang/puke etc.

Like I said, I was the biggest booster (and actually had one before nearly everyone else), but after a few months, it was not worth the trouble.

I hope Palm does BT right this time, but it's unlikely...the rumour is they are using BT 1.1 instead of the new 1.2, which is pathetic.
    I am concerned about this also, but not much to tell until it comes out. The Blackberry 7100's BT is for headset only, which is terrible since I mainly want it to wirelessly sync.
    I hope Palm does BT right this time, but it's unlikely...the rumour is they are using BT 1.1 instead of the new 1.2, which is pathetic.
    What's the difference?
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    I tried of hearing about BT and WiFi!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BssinRVer; 09/22/2004 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    And apparently some of the American providers do disable certain profiles in their ROMS, so you may get even less than what the base model from Palm offers.
    AquaGraphics, Button Manager, whatever you want to call it, is able to essentially overwrite the phone application's graphics that are in ROM by placing a file with the same name in the RAM. I'm not sure if this is a function of the phone application or the palm OS.

Any idea if this is a universal thing? Can I create a second copy of any file in ROM and place it in RAM and have the device use that file instead? If so, then do you think that it would be possible for programmers to create new files with the previously disabled profiles enabled, and then add those to RAM essentially replacing the one on ROM and hence giving us the much anticipated wireless sync ability, modem capability etc.?

Just a thought.

--TechDude
    Quote Originally Posted by satyric
    What's the difference?

BT 1.2 is the current spec (adopted last year) that effectively eliminates interference with Wi-fi.

Excerpt from Brighthand article:
    "Bluetooth 1.2 introduces Adaptive Frequency Hopping (AFH), which was designed to reduce interference between wireless technologies sharing the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Cordless telephones, microwave ovens, and certain Wireless Local Area Networking (WLAN) technologies, including IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.11g, generally share the same wireless frequencies as Bluetooth. AFH works within the spectrum to take advantage of the available frequencies without limiting the Bluetooth transmission to a set of frequencies occupied by other technologies. This 'adaptive hopping' allows for more efficient transmission within the spectrum, thereby providing the user with greater performance, even if using other technologies along with the Bluetooth wireless technology."

BT 1.1 is the old spec that is susceptible to interference from Wi-fi networks and other 2.4Ghz devices. For data, this might not be noticed, but for headset it can result in poor performance.

Some disagree with me, but c'est la vie. The interference was so bad, I had to get rid of my BT headset for my phone, much to my dismay. You can search my posts (mikec or BT 1.2) in the 600 and 650 forums, and you will see some lively debate.

Bottom line, if Palm has put BT 1.1 into the 650, they are putting old technology with known issues into a new, high end device.
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    I tried of hearing about BT and WiFi!!!!!!!!!
    KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHNNN!!!!
    KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHNNN!!!!
    \

What's that mean?
    star trek 2: the wrath of kahn. . .

but anyway, there really isn't any way of knowing what profiles the phone will support. The daxian is supposed to be out soon and it should have bluetooth, that might give us a clue as to what sprint thinks of bluetooth.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    \

What's that mean?
    As was said, I Star Trek reference from ST II, when Kirk screams at Kahn.

Meant to indicate your frustration with the BT/Wi-fi posts...

Tis a joke.
    As was said, I Star Trek reference from ST II, when Kirk screams at Kahn.

Meant to indicate your frustration with the BT/Wi-fi posts...

Tis a joke.
    Lol, had me giggling the first time I read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ypshan

Thanks.
    If you are using Mac OS X you can use Apple's Bluetooth Serial Utility and the Bluetooth Setup Assistant to establish an internet connection with it this I gurantee.

Want I want to know is if it will be possible to connect to the Treo via Bluetooth (or USB) and FAX stuff out this way if you do not have a land line.