Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    They will basically tell you not to buy the cheap model unless you have like 4 bars outside of your office/house. That being said, I had to sink $645 for the unit, another $120 I didn't expect for a 75 foot low noise cable because of the distance to my roof from where my transmitter would be.

Although I tested it by hanging it out a window, they strongly urge you to install it on the roof so I then had to bay somebody about $250 to do that and snake the cables to my transmitter.

Long and short, though is this thing actually works. I don't understand why there is virtually no other competitor in the consumer space. I had 0 to 1 bar with an RSSI reading of about 105 in my home office. I now have 4 bars with -69db.

More importantly I can now make and receive calls and use data with crystal clarity that I rarely got before. My office is in the basement, surrounded by cynder blocks with no windows so you can imagine how bad Sprint coverage was before. On the ground I get 2 to 3 bars outside my home.

I give it my seal of approval if you are in a similar boat and can afford it.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Can you list any online vendors for this product? Model number?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Wow dude, that's a lot of cash for a little more signal.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Sprint should be paying you $10 a month for the space you've dedicated on your roof and the electric you're expending to increase their signal in your neighborhood!
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I got it at http://jdteck.com/ I purchased the JD65XT model. You have to specify carrier due to frequency differences. Mine is Spring.

This is not Sprint's fault. Because I moved my home office into the basement which is completey surrounded by Cynder Blocks and has no windows, coverage is virtually non existant. I've tried it with my wife's AT&T and a friends Verizon and still no usable coverage. Might occassionally ring, but couldn't carry on a conversation. Now it's perfect.
    Mark F Chinsky
    I had that issue and i just forwarded my cell calls to my home phone. Burnt the mins I would have anyway and was cheaper considering forwarding is a part of my vision pack
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Yea, but I work with about 20 other people who are all on sprint and forwarded minutes aren't free like sprint to sprint
    Mark F Chinsky
    Cellantenna sells a package for $500 bucks..

http://cellantenna.com/repeater/cae50.htm

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Wow that is one heck of a lot of cash to fork over to make your phone work better. Did you try a different carrier?
    I think the point here is not making it work better but making it work at all.
    His office is in the basement and he is lucky to SOMETIMES get 1 bar of signal. As we all know, 1 bar is usually not enough to establish or maintain a decent voice connection and since he is likely to spend a lot of time in his office during peak periods of the day the phone not being able to keep signal becomes a major issue.
    I have the same problem in my home. I switched to AT&T because the coverage in my area is about the same but they have coverage where my wife travles where no other cellular coverage is available. She has a 40 minute commute over a mountain at which only the first and last few minutes have any cellular coverage with other providers.
    So, we switched to AT&T but the one drawback is that in our home we are lucky to get one bar of signal some of the time. Up on the roof I get a near constant 3 bars. We use our cell phones for all long distance calls as do many othes. Now though, we cannot make or receive calls at home on our cell phones. I am considering getting a repeater so that we will again have coverage. The alternative is to wire an antenna directly from the roof to our phone while at home and that is very limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Wow that is one heck of a lot of cash to fork over to make your phone work better. Did you try a different carrier?
    the_nite_owl, since you have 3 bars on the roof, I am wondering if you can put a reflector on the roof to get a better signal in your house? High freq are directional and it may work.
    For those that say this is a lot of cash, since he refers to an office in the basement, this might be considered a business expense and therefore eligbie for deductions and such.

Interesting project nonetheless.
    Pete
    Would this work in a car? or in an office?

There are 3 short dead zones on my commute that I would love to overcome.

Switching carriers is not an option...sprint is already the best deal.

how big is this thing?

thanks.
    do their boosters work?
    What is an "RSSI reading of about 105 in my home office." Is this a way to measure signal strength? How do you do it. Also, are you using a YAGI antenna and how do you "aim" it. Similarly, how do you "aim" the JD Tech transmitter or is it omni-directional??
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Would this work... in an office?
    The last place I worked had terrible phone coverage. It was a head office and some of the senior guys had mobile bills of 2000+ per month, so they were rather annoyed when they got cut off or couldn't make a call from one side of their office. The facilities guy called up the phone supplier (they had all their phones from one network) and they came and installed booster/repeaters all throughout the building. Not sure if this was free to the company or not.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I got the RSSI reading from my Treo. From another post I found here on TreoCentral it is ##33284.

The larger the number (-64 is bigger than -105) the better your signal. Seems to update every 5 to 10 seconds or so.
    Mark F Chinsky
    The RSSI reading on my GSM phone (AT&T) comes out as 38272 most of the time but occasionally changes to 6. The 38272 shows up while I have a reasonable signal but the 6 showed up while I still had two bars.

Anyone know how to interpret this on a GSM phone?
    Anyone know what the EC/LO reading means? Mine shows 21240.

Quote Originally Posted by mulcher
    I got the RSSI reading from my Treo. From another post I found here on TreoCentral it is ##33284.

The larger the number (-64 is bigger than -105) the better your signal. Seems to update every 5 to 10 seconds or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Would this work in a car? or in an office?
    You can get a cellular repeater for use in a car - but it must be a special purpose in-vehicle model. For example try the YX200 at Repeater Store. This provides up to 50 db gain and plugs into your cigarette adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Also, are you using a YAGI antenna and how do you "aim" it?
    You can use the signal strength on your cell phone to aim your YAGI antenna in the right direction. In other words, set up the YAGI antenna with an amp and try a couple of different directions, each time checking to see if your cell phone registers any improvement in the cell signal. Be sure to try each position for a couple of moments to give your cell phone time to adjust. Or you can buy a cellular repeater which has indicator lights built into it such as the Clear Voice 800. The lights will do the job of the cell phone for you, letting you know when you are pointing the antenna in the right direction.
    So here is a device that basically helps you deal with all the cell phone reception problems that you might have. The device is called the Cell phone Signal booster, and as the name suggests the device extends the signal for your cell phone. All you would have to do to get a good signal in your office or home is place the antenna that comes with the device near a window. After which, you would have to attach the cable to the unit or the base booster. The device assures 2500 sq feet of an area that has prime signals for the purpose of excellent reception. However, for the Cell phone Signal Extender to work well, it is imperative that you have at least some signal.