Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the unit i got as a replacement has 0 mins as the life timer...however the screen is really yellow
    anybody here get any replacements sent to them from 888-bestbuy?
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    #*786 returns a "Life Timer" and Software Rev.

The Life Timer suggests that it is not new....grrr. It is saying 344 minutes (I assume this means phone minutes and not powered on minutes. I have yet to make a telephone call.
    i tried #*786 then hitted dial. it did not do anything. it just returned back to the "dial pad". did i miss some steps? i want to know it bc when the replacement is expecting to be here tomorrow, i could check the life timer. etc

my current phone is an unbranded unlocked (with international firmware??) treo from PalmOne directly.

thanks in advance
    after i upgraded the firmware to 3.0.5, i can use the #*786. it shows my life timer is zero, but sure i have been using the phone for a while. btw, i did a hard reset before i upgraded the firmware. i wonder if the upgrade would erase the life timer or not. it happened to my SE phone once thou.

edit: just restored the backup from the SD card. the life timer is still 0. i wonder if it is correct.

edit edit: just made 1 min call and tried the command again. the life timer is 1 now.

Q: does it erase the life timer when the unit is upgraded from 2.02 firmware to 3.05?
    Last edited by superfire; 09/22/2004 at 11:45 PM.
  5.    #25  
    AMAZING....

I actually got one with a Life Timer of 0.
    Palm is always effing over customers...the refurb replacement is an old issue. They doe it all the time.
    Now they are blanking the life timers on refurb units and sending those out.

we can only hope the QA on the 650 is better. A 40 percent failure rate is too much to bear again.
  7.    #27  
    Well, I suppose that's possible. The serial number suggests it was assembled in June (29th week). Its at least better than getting one with a Handspring logo on it and a lifetimer of 1200.
    i got one which was assembled in May with zero life timer, and without the physical damange. i know it is a refurb but heck, it is hard to tell thou.
  9.    #29  
    How can you tell its a refurb if you are on Cingular?
    Folks,

Getting a refurb is not always a bad thing. I had an initial TREO with Sprint when they were first released. That first one had the Network Search problems after 6 months of use -- I loved it. It was replaced with a brand new unit.

That brand new unit never got as good reception as the first. But I loved it. Then I had some screen problems last month. My local Sprint store ordered and replaced it with a refurb unit. The refurb is a handspring one (not Palm One like my new one), but it was perfect.

Reception is perfect and it works a lot better when roaming to Verizon (probably something that Verizon made them improve for 900 MHZ reception).

The refurbished one is my best Treo yet, and by all physical appearenaces was brand new. It had a clearer screen than my last new one.

I think if you get a refurb vs. new -- it makes no difference. Some Treo's are better than others and your chances of getting a good one are the same. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if it is a refurb vs. a new unit.

Glenn
    i would not expect for the brand new one too. i think it is too much expectation. if the car is broken and recall, the car mfg would replace the parts for free, but they would not give you a brand new car. i would believe the same theory would go for the other stuff too.
    but i do expect i get a brand new one if i found out any defects within the return policy period. basically, i would just return and get a new one or exchange it.

of course, i do not mind if i would get a brand new replacement, but i don't put my hope high.

the replacement unit i have looks like the brand new one. they might even exchange the LCD bc i do not see any damage at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    i would not expect for the brand new one too. i think it is too much expectation. if the car is broken and recall, the car mfg would replace the parts for free, but they would not give you a brand new car. i would believe the same theory would go for the other stuff too.
    but i do expect i get a brand new one if i found out any defects within the return policy period. basically, i would just return and get a new one or exchange it.

of course, i do not mind if i would get a brand new replacement, but i don't put my hope high.

the replacement unit i have looks like the brand new one. they might even exchange the LCD bc i do not see any damage at all.
    If one out of every four cars burst into flames, the automanufacturer would either provide a full refund or new, undefective car.

While I agree a Treo refurb is not always bad, the point is, given their horrible QA on orginial devices, why should the refurbs be any better?

I wish they could just get their act together...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    If one out of every four cars burst into flames, the automanufacturer would either provide a full refund or new, undefective car.
    i agree. if my treo bursts into flames, i would expect the full refund or a brand new undefective unit.
    but.. if it is just a recall on some parts, i do not think you would get full refund or a brand new undefective one back thou.
    in the end it is just a machine and machines are not perfect and palmone is out to only make money and we are out to spend. so if something goes wrong with our treos it is not gonna be easy to have them send us a new one......they would lose money that way after all the buck stops at palm
    I just got my second refurb.. this one has a SN that is later than the 'fix' date (what is the fix????) but the one I am using has a SN earlier than the fix.. The screen on the 'new' one looks like crap though, and the reason they sent me a new refurb is because people were hearing an echo when they call me... *shrug* I think I'll send this one with the crappy screen back instead.. I KNOW it is a refurb, all the rubber screw covers are missing, as is the SD card filler, and the screen protector looks like crap, yet there is 0 on the life timer and no 'refurb' status.. (TMobile)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12