1.    #1  
    With Palm having an earning call scheduled today and this article (requires scrolling): http://www.forbes.com/management/200...ahoo&referrer=

... do you think we get an anouncement today about the Treo 650?
    This has been dicussed several times on this forum already. Let's just hope P1 releases information today about the 650. I do not want the release to be October 4th because I have Jury Duty and will be away from the computer. And yes I do not have a smartphone yet because I am holding out on the 650.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=57717
  3.    #3  
    Good point BassinRVer. I guess this thread doesn't have so much value other than the link that says they might be pushed to make an announcement. Actually it probably has some value because it's not going into accounting principles and such. At least not yet.
    I hope it is today. I need some rest. JK i am not lossing sleep over this. I just think that if larger companies like Nokia and other companies can make it public knowledge on upcoming products why can't P1.
    As to "Nokia and other companies can make it public knowlede on upcomming products why can't P1" several things.

*Nokia and other companies release info when they think its best for them. They don't release info the same day they decide to create a new product but wait until it is far enough along that they think the timing of the announcement will be good for them. P1 does the same, they announce when they think it will be good for them. They may be wrong in their decision, buts its not like the other companies are operating from a different premise. They do what they think is best for them at the time.

*Unlike other companies, especially Nokia, P1 has only one phone product that their new product will compete with, the 600. Nokia has dozens and dozens of different phones at many different levels, capabilities and price points, so an announcement of a phone that might compete/conflict with one of thier other offerings only affects a small segment of their total product line. In other words Nokia's OVERALL sales won't be hit too hard by the announcement of one particular new phone, even if that announcement hurts sales of one of their other products for a while.

*P1, on the other hand, has only the 600. If a 650 announcement comes out at the wrong time (too early) and dries up 600 sales, sales for their ENTIRE phone product line crash. I'm sure they are aware of what happend with the 600/300 situation. The 600 was announced WAY before it was really ready to ship and sales of the 300 came to a halt. No revenue for several months almost killed Handspring and probably resulted in them rushing the 600 causing the QC problems and some of the early bugs. (In fact there is an investor lawsuit going on agains Handspring/Palm1 as a result of the early announcement. One of the theories behind it is that the 600 announcement was done premature to benifit the Handspring insiders in the negotiation for the Palm buyout all the time knowing that the too-early announcement would eventually hurt the company. The lawsuit is more than that but it shows how touchy an announcement can be when you are competing against your one and only other product.)

In any case. Palm is not TRYING to hurt their business, and is not TRYING to drive customers away. They may make a timing mistake, but its not like there is a vast conspiracy to keep infor from the public just because they evil!!!
    They are about to drive me away, I may go with the Nokia 9500 if it comes out before the 650.
    I wouldn't be surprised if PalmOne wasn't more apt to start sharing information with investors regarding future devices as of this call. I'm not saying it's going to be announced (you don't announce products in conference calls), but they may decide to be more specific when they talk about their next family of treo's.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    The problem I see with Palm is not that they delay the announcement longer than they logically should under the circumstances, but that it takes them too long to get the product to market in the first place. The 650 is not such a huge leap over the 600 that it should have taken this long to get it ready and, if the leaked sprint slides were real, then we know they basically knew what they were doing, and probably had mock ups, before Feb of 2004. So why so long? No really good reason for it IMO. THAT is what is driving some folks away, including, perhaps BssinRVer. If this thing is not ready for actual in customers handsness until december, they will have missed a huge opprotunity, not only from the 650 sales themselves, but from the increased sales from a repriced 600.

Now they may want to clear out as many 600 as they can at the bigger price. But for each of those that they sell, they are losing a possible 650 sale and P1 needs to show big numbers for the new unit to be considered a major player.

Oh well, my Sprint contract is 18mo old in December, so I am going to have to wait until then anyway!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    They are about to drive me away, I may go with the Nokia 9500 if it comes out before the 650.
    won't happen. Don't expect 9500b (with GSM 850) before March of next year. I expect Treo in full force by December
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    The problem I see with Palm is not that they delay the announcement longer than they logically should under the circumstances, but that it takes them too long to get the product to market in the first place. The 650 is not such a huge leap over the 600 that it should have taken this long to get it ready and, if the leaked sprint slides were real, then we know they basically knew what they were doing, and probably had mock ups, before Feb of 2004. So why so long? No really good reason for it IMO.
    I think you have to remember that the two companies merged and it looks like the software for the Treo 600 is going be completely different. Think of how long it takes MS to put out a new operating system. While it's not exactly the same (the code base is much smaller), it's probably not the difference of just slapping on a new screen and adding some bluetooth.
    hahaha. y'all responses are funny. y'all are getting uptight over nothing. palmone aren't delaying anything. everyone got leaked some inside information with the slides and the pics. but yet, there is still no official announcement. so calm down.
    it'll get released when it does. just because you got a preview of the 650 and some rumored dates...doesnt mean that thing has been delayed. and for yall saying that they're losing customers...? quit with that. that's reckless talk. they aren't losing anybody. if they were...revenues would not be up. a dip in stock prices is not that serious. get some self-control and be patient
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    it'll get released when it does. just because you got a preview of the 650 and some rumored dates...doesnt mean that thing has been delayed. and for yall saying that they're losing customers...? quit with that. that's reckless talk. they aren't losing anybody. if they were...revenues would not be up. a dip in stock prices is not that serious. get some self-control and be patient
    Oh I thought it was going to be released before or after it get's released.

We not only got a preview, but PalmOne changed their website. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't expect them to do if a ways away.

Everything else you wrote I agree with.