Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

    In the past I could not use snappermail because I was forced to make my outgoing mail server smtp.sprintpcs.com and not use my own...This was unacceptable and I'm sure I dont need to outline why.....

    However just recently I tried it using my own SMTP and it appears to work now.........am i just imagining things....or has Sprint PCS realized to be a true data client they need to allow people to use there own SMTP on there network???

    I am curious to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

    Thanks in advance.

    Isaac
  2. Loolaw's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    Hey,

    In the past I could not use snappermail because I was forced to make my outgoing mail server smtp.sprintpcs.com and not use my own...This was unacceptable and I'm sure I dont need to outline why.....

    However just recently I tried it using my own SMTP and it appears to work now.........am i just imagining things....or has Sprint PCS realized to be a true data client they need to allow people to use there own SMTP on there network???

    I am curious to see if anyone else has had the same experience.

    Thanks in advance.

    Isaac
    Worked for me as well. It took a long time to authorize (at least the one time I tested). Thanks for posting this; it's a welcome change. Let's hope it's here to stay!
  3. amell's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #3  
    As I understand it (but I could be wrong, and, knowing this forum, someone will definitely jump in and tell me if I am!) this depends not on Sprint, but whether your company's mail server will accept SMTP authentication. My wife and I work for the same larger institution, but my unit's mail server accepts authentication, and hers does not, requiring her to use Sprint.
  4. Loolaw's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by amell
    As I understand it (but I could be wrong, and, knowing this forum, someone will definitely jump in and tell me if I am!) this depends not on Sprint, but whether your company's mail server will accept SMTP authentication. My wife and I work for the same larger institution, but my unit's mail server accepts authentication, and hers does not, requiring her to use Sprint.
    About a year ago, Sprint started requiring all outgoing mail to go through their SMTP server. How long it has been back to "normal" I can't say because I never tested it until I read the message above.

    fyi.. I'm not accessing company e-mail but my personal Comcast account.
  5. #5  
    I have been using my company pop account for incoming and Sprint SMTP for outgoing ever since we received the "mail" app from the update (not sure of the exact date). Initially, I was having password problems. When I got the passwords down, it worked.
  6. #6  
    I'm having SnapperMail problems now as well...my company servers no longer relay messages to external email addresses. My company IT team tells me it's due to Snapper, and I need to reconfigure via Sprint...Sprint tells me it's the server...any suggestions?
  7. amell's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #7  
    I have had no trouble going directly to my company's SMTP server with either the PalmOne client or Snapper (POP or IMAP account).
  8. Loolaw's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by amell
    I have had no trouble going directly to my company's SMTP server with either the PalmOne client or Snapper (POP or IMAP account).
    You don't say whether you're on Sprint or not. If yes, how long have you been using non-Sprint SMTP? I'd be interested in knowing when they dropped the requirement.
  9. afr
    afr is offline
    afr's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    #9  
    My corporate e-mail server disallows use of our internal smtp server to send mail from a Treo through my account out to the Internet. This is a function of the server's security. Otherwise, our servers would be laid open to spam and denial of service attacks launched through our servers. We also disallow "relay" services which have also been used in the past to launch DOS or spam attacks. Sprint is an ISP and for that reason provides an smtp service for the use of its customers, knowing that a lot of corporations restrict the use of their smtp capability to inside-the-firewall connected users only.
  10. #10  
    All, I've been using my own SMTP server since last December on Sprint's network using Snapper.
  11. Loolaw's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    #11  
    At the time (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=send+e-mail), Comcast assured me it wasn't their problem and they would not provide support for handheld devices. I had remembered it being a Sprint problem at the time but after finding the above thread, I guess it was only those of us with Comcast accounts with the "send" problem.

    In any case, it seems to have been "fixed"
  12. amell's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #12  
    Cooneyca:
    Yes, I am on Sprint. Have been doing this since the POP mail app became available with the 1.2 firmware update (I can't remember when - May?)
  13. #13  
    hey, yitzchakis1 if you do a search on my posts all your problems will be resolved trust and have faith ==KEYWORD== hint.
  14. #14  
    I have been using my own SMTP server since last November. Never had an issue.

    Since a number of ISPs are now blocking port 25 (smtp) unless it goes to their mail server we have configured an alternate SMTP port on the server.

    For those who run their own mail servers, you may want to try the alternate SMTP port. This has solved the SMTP port blocking for a number of my users whose ISPs are blocking port 25
  15. #15  
    Same here: I am on sprint and have ben using Fastmail's SMTP with Snapper and other clients since Dec '03 with no problem ever ...
    Dominique
  16. #16  
    I always thought it was the ISP/email client that would not let you 'relay'. I know RoadRunner will not let you relay, so you have to use Sprints SMTP to send. I guess to cut down on fraud/spam?
    It's all the same to me I guess.

    I also had an issue with Roadrunner were I lost the ability to send with Sprints SMTP. I guess the saw all the traffic I was doing and shut it down, thinking it was spam or something. A simple phone call to Road Runner fixed it lickity split.
  17. #17  
    I have always used my own servers for outgoing mail even going back to my 300 almost 2 years ago an the last year on my 600.
    Adam West

Posting Permissions