1.    #1  
    I recently helped a friend install the firmware update on her Sprint Treo 600. The firmware update went just fine, we Hotsynced it, and everything seemed fine. A couple of days later, she tried Hotsyncing by pressing the button on the Hotsync cable, and nothing happened. We tried soft resetting it twice and confirming the button was assigned to Hotsync in the preferences, but nothing happened. I am wondering if a hard reset would do the trick or if there is something that we are missing. Any ideas?
    I had one of my treos replaced because of the problem you describe. No matter what it wouldnt hotsync. Looked to be a blown port.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Have you tried launching the HotSync application and starting the sync from there?
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
  4.    #4  
    I showed her how to do it through the software, but she is not interested in doing it that way and doesn't understand why she should have to.
    if that works it sounds like a defective cable. Use the warranty. Take it to the store and show em it' not working and ask for a replacement.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by danprime47
    I showed her how to do it through the software, but she is not interested in doing it that way and doesn't understand why she should have to.
    She sounds like a pill. I assume your answer is yes, it does work through the software. I suspect there is nothing wrong with the cable because I have the same problem on my Treo 600 and I have tried several cables and cradles. I suspect some obscure software conflict but I haven't had the time to hard reset and diagnose it. I set a favorite key to the HotSync application and do it that way.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    Could be a problem with the USB port initializing. It might not be the Treo unit at all. Palm has a USB cleaning utility on their website that will wipe the hot sync usb stuff. You will have to re-install the Pocket Mirror program after using it but that's no big deal...

I would be willing to bet this solves your issue.
    OK, treo-mike, I ran the USBRegClean utility. I can still HotSync the way I used to (through the applcation) but when I push the button I get 'Connecting to the desktop using IR to PC/Handheld' with nothing appearing on the PC screen. Previously, it would fail after the initial HotSync box appeared on the monitor. Any ideas?
    After you cleaned registry did you re-install desktop software? You have to do that.

BTW: Are you trying to synch through IR? It should be set to USB/Serial.
    Any updates? Did the usb registry utility work?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think my problem is that somehow I have an extra IR to PC/Handheld connection that shows up at the top of the connections list so the cradle button is defaulting to that. I have no trouble doing a USB sync through the software. I think I need to get a new Sprint connections file. The file is called ConnectionMgr50DB. Could somebody send me theirs?
    On the Treo hotsynch screen and in desktop hotsynch manager...make sure both are set to USB/Serial. It sounds like somehow you have set the Treo to synch via IR rather than USB.

Sorry not on sprint so I can't send file. You should just be able to delete that IR connection or make the USB the default. It doesn't really make sense you need a new file.
    You're right, it does not make sense that I would need a new file, but somehow I have an extra IR to PC/Handheld connection defined and I cannot delete it because the Treo considers it to be a default configuration even though I have two of them. The problem is that one of these come before the Cable/Cradle connection. In the HotSync application I have am able to choose Cable/Cradle (which it remembers as the default) and I have absolutely no problem doing USB syncs that way. When I use the HotSync Button, however, there is no way to configure which connection to use. It automatically chooses the first connection which is normally Cable/Cradle but in my case is the spurious and redundant IR to PC/Handheld which appears at the top of the list. That is why I am interested in getting a clean connection manager DB file (ConnectionMgr50DB). Is there some third party program which can manipulate 'default configurations'?
    I am not sure...but a call to Palm would probably get you sorted out...also there is a Palm support guy that lurks on these forums and he is very helpful...and he posts his e-mail addy!!!

I think his name is Kevin...try a search for that and see if you can find one of his posts. Good Luck!
    I deleted ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB from my Treo and from the backup folder (or it gets reinstalled) and recreated the connections manually so the Cable/Cradle connection is first. Now I can use my HotSync button again. I wonder if danprime47 had the same problem.
    I need to report that my solution of recreating the connections manually is not viable. While it solves the HotSync button problem by putting Cable/Cradle at the top of the connection list, I was unable to create the Virtual Modem connection which is uneditable and necessary for e-mail to work. I restored my defective ConnectionMgr50DB file and am now back as before (only able to sync through the application). Apparently I have to do a hard reset to solve this.
    I finally got a replacement ConnectionMgr50DB file by posting on the communications forum and it fixed my problem (not being able to HotSync by pushing the button, only through the application). Danprime47 if you think your friend has the same problem with this file let me know and I'll send you the replacement.
    Last edited by vflopez; 09/27/2004 at 07:00 PM.