Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just registered but I have been following the rumors on this board the past week. I am a student and own a Palm Tungsten E and one of those prepay cell phones. Ever since I started reading about the Treo 600, I have felt that it would be a cool gadget and make a lot more sense than carrying around two devices. The trouble with it all is cost. I think a good chunk of students use their phones alot, and the ability to add a good organizer to that would be very appealing. I really hope that many of you are right about your predictions on a Treo family, and I hope there are high end models for the power users many of you seem to be, as well as some low end models for students and beginners. For me personally, I would love something similar to a Treo that is around $200-$250, but maybe that is wishful thinking.
    If I were a betting man, I would wager than once the next Treo comes out, the price of the current Treo will be affordable to you.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    You can get a Treo 600 for $200. Sign up a contract with AT&T, you are going to have to sign up with someone, espiecally since you are prepaid now, might aswell get something out of the deal. I dont really see it selling to college students though.

1) Durability. If you drop this like your free Nokia phone, it WILL break.
    2) Lazy. Most of the students I know are too lazy to add appointments and school projects to the organizer. They think their time is precious and no other person before them has ever had as busy a schedule as they currently posses.
    3) Niche. This is a niche product. Currently for the tech oriented. I manage a grocery store. I see 1300 people a day. I have met less than 2 dozen who own and use PDAs. My boss was the first person I ever met who had and USED one.
    4) Theft. If you live in a dorm, there is a chance you share it with someone. There is also a chance someone else has a key to your room. If you keep a bunch of high dollar high tech gadgets that are very portable, you are just asking someone to come steal your stuff.

I could probably think of some more reasons why this is not the ideal market, like irresponsibilty. It would make their bill to high, or they would go over their data plan and never pay the bill.

Maybe you and your friends are the exception.

Lonzo
    I was under the impression that $200 TREO was only available from Amazon - nowhere else (i.e., subsidized by someone OTHER than AT&T).
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    SV, that was not really the point of my post. He was saying if the phone was cheaper it would be ideal for a college student. I disagree with that point, if it was cheaper it might be more ideal for small businesses, but it is not really a "kid" phone.
    I am currently a college student as well, and do own a Treo 600, and I can agree with most of the points there. First, the price currently does make it out of reach for most.

Second, unless a person is already organized without a PDA (a very select few college students anyway), chances are it won't magically get them to take the time to be organized anyway. I use my Treo 600 mostly for the wireless internet, followed by other applications, phone calls, and the thing I use least is the planner.

I don't think the fact that the Treo 600 is a niche product matters to the original poster because its stated that he uses a PDA already.

Durability is a concern, but I've noticed that since I got my Treo 600, I've babied it compared to my cheap old Audiovox phone. If that is too much of a concern though, theres still the insurance plans.

Finally, with regards to theft, that really won't change; however, I think that you'd have more to worry about with a laptop than a Treo. That is generally what gets stolen most in college dorms, and I don't think most people would recognize the monetary value of a Treo anyway. Also, on a CDMA network at least, if it is stolen, I believe the ESN is blacklisted or something. This means that even though the device is expensive, it would be relegated to use as a very low end PDA with no wireless features. With GSM however I don't think theres any way of doing anything like that, but I'm not really sure on the details of GSM service.

(Edited into paragraphs for readability sake)
    once I geta 650, my excellent condition 600 will be for sale.

I think it will only fetch $150-$175.

but since I got my Treo free, tis all profit to spend on new accesories...
    I think it will easily get more than $200. I was able to sell my Treo 300 for that after I got my 600 and that 600 is much more of a leap over the 300 than the 650 over the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80
    Second, unless a person is already organized without a PDA (a very select few college students anyway), chances are it won't magically get them to take the time to be organized anyway. I use my Treo 600 mostly for the wireless internet, followed by other applications, phone calls, and the thing I use least is the planner.
    I am a senior in college right now and i use the calander app just as much as Micro Quad hehe. Seriously though i am always going to meetings, classes, and work so I have alarms going off at least 5 times a day. I am not worried about my Treo being stolen b.c it is always on me. I never leaving it laying out anywhere. I also baby my Treo. I used to treat my old Nokia 7160 like sh1t before i got my Treo 180 (ol' school baby ) and I still do today with my 600.

I credit the Treo line to improving my grades, keeping me on time, and emptying out my bank account.

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    you guys are missing the point, i am in college and am no way organized even with my treo. it is a convergence device though, so the orginizer is one small aspect of the phone. do you forget that it is an mp3 player, prtable dvd player, internet browser, not to mention a phone, etc etc. the possibilities are endless on this device and you dont need to be a business professional to own one. By the way being able to emulate most nintendo games on your phone is worth the 349 i paid for mine
    Truffleshuffle, that was exactly my point. I am not organized at all, Treo, or not. However, I use the other features the most.

Another point I thought of is the cost of software. Sure all those other functions may be cool, but (if it goes that low) with a price of $200 even, then you still have to pay for most of the other functions and accessories.
    I AM a College student. A Senior at Georgia Southern, and i use my TREO more than anything else. This phone is amazing for the college student, especially one who is active in their school. It helps me keep track of meetings ihave scheduled with teachers, functions as a mp3 player between classes, it is my alarm clock in the morning, so if there is ever a power outage, mr treo will still wake my **** up in the morning. it reminds me when to ship packages as i am buying or selling books and things on ebay and amazon, it tells me what the current weather forecast is for the day in a matter of seconds( i live somewhat far from campus, but still walking distance, so knowing i need an umbrella or a hoodie is nice in advance.) it keeps track of the amount of cigarettes i smoke( we college kids love our cigarettes,, cant get enough of em). I even use the portable keyboard to take notes in class!!! smaller things it does for me, turns the radio off at prescheduled times, ie when i have class(so professors dont get upset), changes the channel whenever stupid roomates forget to bring a remote. I love my treo. it is PERFECT for college students, we are not lazy, nor irresponsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by truffleshuffle1
    you guys are missing the point, i am in college and am no way organized even with my treo. it is a convergence device though, so the orginizer is one small aspect of the phone. do you forget that it is an mp3 player, prtable dvd player, internet browser, not to mention a phone, etc etc. the possibilities are endless on this device and you dont need to be a business professional to own one. By the way being able to emulate most nintendo games on your phone is worth the 349 i paid for mine
    can u elaborate?

do we have enuf memory, considering that the biggest SD card in the market is only 1gb, that's what google's gmail's offering for free haha
    what does a gmail account have to do with a treo. if you buy a 512 sd card you could pretty much do anything with a treo 600. mines loaded with apps and i am still able to fit 3 full length dvd's on it. so the answer to your question is yes we do have enough memory. the treo 650 is just going to make all of this a little better with the better processor, ram, and higher resolution screen
    Quote Originally Posted by truffleshuffle1
    what does a gmail account have to do with a treo. if you buy a 512 sd card you could pretty much do anything with a treo 600. mines loaded with apps and i am still able to fit 3 full length dvd's on it. so the answer to your question is yes we do have enough memory. the treo 650 is just going to make all of this a little better with the better processor, ram, and higher resolution screen

my question remains how do i get dvds on my treo and what software do i need?
    a 512 SD card can fit 3 DVDs? wow, how big are the files, pray tell, i'm getting excited already.

gmail nothing to do with treo, just that it's the only free 1gb internet mail service and the biggest SD card is 1gb....
    \\Man I have had my Treo since July and have droped it at least 6 times and it is still working great. Maybe I am just lucky.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumberbee
    a 512 SD card can fit 3 DVDs? wow, how big are the files, pray tell, i'm getting excited already.

gmail nothing to do with treo, just that it's the only free 1gb internet mail service and the biggest SD card is 1gb....
    Here's the how to guide ... http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/448-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamlineman
    I just registered but I have been following the rumors on this board the past week. I am a student and own a Palm Tungsten E and one of those prepay cell phones. Ever since I started reading about the Treo 600, I have felt that it would be a cool gadget and make a lot more sense than carrying around two devices. The trouble with it all is cost. I think a good chunk of students use their phones alot, and the ability to add a good organizer to that would be very appealing. I really hope that many of you are right about your predictions on a Treo family, and I hope there are high end models for the power users many of you seem to be, as well as some low end models for students and beginners. For me personally, I would love something similar to a Treo that is around $200-$250, but maybe that is wishful thinking.
    Hey if I get a discount for the 650 like what was done with the 600, you can have my t600 for $65+ S/H... Hey you can have my t300 now for $50+ S/H, it's just counting dust in my closet.
    "...you're the man now dawg!!!" - William Forrestor
    Quote Originally Posted by bumberbee

just search this website or the discussions for dvd, and you should find a how to guide and more than enough information. with the lowest 160X96 setting in pocket dvd program, most 2 hours dvd's will be compressed in under 100 MB,
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I sold my used TREO for $474.25 two weeks ago on ebay. I knew the ACE would be out soon and that was the device for me. I am trying to cope with just a laptop for now and my Sanyo 8100 phone. The TREO ACE will be the perfect tool for the Real Estate Professional. Currently I use a Laptop, Desktop, Canon Digital Rebel and Cell Phone. It will be nice to have everything that I need in one device that fits right in my pocket. My guess is that the price will be $650.00 just like the model.
    What are your thoughts on price without a new plan?
    Robert Bolar REALTOR® for Utah Homes
    Coldwell Banker
    "Selling Utah One Home At A Time" SellUtah.com or OwnUtah.com
    Cell: 801-920-4620
    Office: 801-920-2440
    Res: 801-737-3664
    Fax: 801-475-8115
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast